“Great 2 hour Tour” 5 of 5 stars

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 attraction reviews
“Great 2 hour Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

After looking at several options on the web, we finally reserved 3 spots on the 2 hour harbor tour with Aquaterra and were very pleased with the experience. It was an extremely hot day and we were a little concerned about the 11AM start time, but it turned out to be the best way the spend the hottest part of the day paddling around Frenchman's Bay. We started in their shop right on the water where we got outfitted with everything we needed - right down to the water shoes. Then we went downstairs to the dock for a few minutes of instruction. Since we were 3, we had 2 in one kayak and then shared one with another group. We launched right from the dock and headed out toward Bar Island. Although there are a number of boats docked in the harbor, none were moving as we went out and there was absolutely no issue with it. Our guide Laura was super nice and very patient keeping the whole group together as we paddled around the island. The wildlife was a little sparse - we saw a number of water birds and a seal did pop his head up near us for a few minutes. But the scenery was great and being on the water with a cool breeze was a great way to spend the hottest part of the day. We have been on a couple kayak trips in other places but don't have a lot of experience so we felt the 2 hours was just about right.

Visited July 2013

“What an experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

A must do adventure. We did the 2 hour harbor tour and it was fantastic. Our guide Mark was awesome. Thumbs up!

Visited July 2013
Columbus
17 attraction reviews
“Excellent location, but don't go in a single.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I recently paddled Frenchman Bay with Aquaterra. Their location can't be beat - right on the water so there's no bus travel and no wait. Frenchman Bay is lovely and the islands are cool.

Most paddlers are put into a double. I was in a single, and with only one person paddling, I could not keep up with the rest of the group. I was as much as 300 yards behind everyone else, which means if I'd flipped, it would have been a while before the guide could have gotten to me - IF he'd noticed. The group would stop for a break, but by the time I'd catch up to them, they'd be ready to paddle again which meant I didn't get a chance to catch my breath. I'm an experienced flatwater kayaker, but when the wind kicked up, it made me nervous to be so far from the group.

I would paddle with them again, but only in a double. The guide just didn't pay any attention to me in a single and I didn't feel safe.

Visited June 2013
Lexington, Kentucky
“Sunset Tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We were impressed with the company because the first night we had reservations for a sunset tour turned out to not have the best weather. The guide gave us the options of going that night as planned, rescheduling for a following day, or refunding us our money. We opted to reschedule for the following evening which turned out to have a stunning sunset. Our guide was really nice, but we would have enjoyed maybe doing a little more kayaking. It was more of a leisurely stroll around Bar Island with lots of talking between the boats. Was a little expensive for only 2 hours, but it was a fun experience.

Visited June 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I am terrified of the ocean and had never kayaked before, and my boyfriend has been sea kayaking before, but we both had a great time. Our guide, Travis, was awesome - knowledgeable, super friendly, and professional. The other two employees we talked with there seemed really great, too. It was pretty windy and rainy the day we had scheduled to go out, so Travis showed us on the map where the weather would permit us to kayak safely, and offered to let us cancel/reschedule due to the weather. This was still "off-season" so it was just my boyfriend and myself with the guide. We wanted to go for it. Despite the weather being rainy and cold, our guide was excited to get out there with us; the guy had a fantastic attitude. We went along the coast, but had some extra time and the weather seemed okay, so he offered to take us for a quick loop around one of the smaller islands. We got a tiny bit of "surfing" at this point, pretty cool. After we got back he showed us on a map where we traveled, and gave us an estimate of the distance we traveled. If we're ever in Bar Harbor again, we'll probably kayak with these folks again.

Visited May 2013