“Horrible” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Plaza Hotel

You added Grand Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Grand Plaza Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1024 San Vitores Rd, Tumon, Guam 96911 , Mariana Islands   |
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Tumon
“Horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I'll admit... I read the TripAdvisor reviews prior to going. I am not a picky person and can sleep just about anywhere, so I opted to believe the couple of folks who rated this place "alright". We were excited as the hotel come into sight, as from the street it looks alright. The first hints of what was to come hit you as soon as you enter the lobby and the temperature is in the high 80s. It looks like it was once a fairly "grand" hotel, that has fallen on very hard times. Outside of the temperature, there's a general dinginess everywhere. So we check in and head up to our room, which we find is close to 100degrees farenheit. The room has two twin beds and a small table and an old television on an old hutch. It does have a small refrigerator in the hutch. We turn on the aircon as cool as we can get it and head out. It's about 2:00pm and we figure by the time we return after dinner, the place will be plenty cool. It is not. It is 10:30pm and It is slightly cooler, but still very warm. We figure we'll give it a couple more hours and it will be comfortable enough. And then we discover the beds! It is almost too hard to find the words to describe just how bad these beds are. They feel like waterbeds on steroids, but they aren't waterbeds. If you move just a little bit, the whole bed begins bouncing like you're on a trampoline. So you're on this absolutely uncomfortable bed... sweating... at midnight. At that point I figured we'd get no sleep anyways, and attempted to reach someone at the front desk to let them know what the problem was and get a room change. Call... no answer. Call again... no answer. Go down and an man in his senior years who says he's security goes searching for the graveyard staff. No luck, and tells me he'll have them call our room when they get back? Now nearly 2:00a.m... nothing. Needless to say, at 6am (as soon as I figured they'd unlock the upper level parking garage where our car was), I went and checked out. I'd paid for several days, the entirety of our stay. When I told the front desk staff I wanted to check out, and she saw that I was already paid up, she said "Need I even ask why you're pulling out?". I asked her if "she wanted me to go through the list?". She said, "I'm sure I've heard it all already". And then she began to profusely apologize. Yes, they realize how terrible this hotel is. And it is really really really terrible. Don't say you weren't warned. I didn't even get into the part about my daughter freaking out over a small roach on top of her bag upon our return to the room.

Cheap? For Tumon certainly. The rate we got was about $65.00 per night. But you would be tremendously more comfortable walking across the street and sleeping right on the beach. That is not an exaggeration either. We transferred to the Westin, Tumon - which turned out to be heaven on Guam.

I will end by saying that the staff were friendly. It was obvious they realized the dump they were working in, and as much as they could be, were helpful and apologetic.

Room Tip: If you're going to go budget on Guam... nothing can beat the Days Inn in my experience.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Harvard, Massachusetts, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

An older hotel and a bit run down. The owner really needs to update the AC units as my room barely made it to 75 by 5 AM. Otherwise it was over 80. Housekeeping was spotty. The bathroom light needed replacing and the bathtub was tilted so that water from the shower poured out onto the floor (Rm 607, btw).

That said, the Indian Restaurant on the 2nd floor is excellent. On Friday's they have a buffet for about $20 and free Dos XX's.

Room Tip: Good luck. Lots of young Japanese, some with children. Can get a bit noisy.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Colonia, Yap FSM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Finally got a vacation after a year plus on an outer island of Guam. I stayed at the Grand Plaza and really enjoyed it. Pool, a couple of blocks from the beach, great shopping available, even the red shuttles to Micronesia Mall and K-Mart. The staff was helpful and friendly. They always had a smile and a greating for you.

Room Tip: Third floor, next to the pool and great internet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Kathmandu, Nepal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

I stayed a night this month and found this hotel okay for a short stay. This is really close to many restaurants and bar in this area and downtwon is just next door. The rooms are okay and cost effective, comapre to other big hotels in Guam. I suggest this for a transit stay but not for long holiday, unless you are tight with budget.

Room Tip: No matters if you stay for a night. Not really any room that have a nice view from.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

Grand Plaza Hotel is a not a place to stay. First of all, there's no customer service and if you're not a Japanese tourist, they will tell you that there's no room available even if they just told you a couple of minutes ago that they do have some rooms for you. Just because they get more money from the Japanese tourist than local or even for military. The Chinese manager or owner is a racist- she's the one who told the receptionist that they don't have any rooms anymore because she saw that we're not Japanese. She's not even in the computer- how would she know that? We stayed on the same hotel 4 years ago (because we arrived in Guam in the middle of the night- paying for taxis are expensive too) but looked for another hotel the very next day. The room is dirty, very old and it stinks. You can find a BETTER hotel somewhere else with the same price!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Ayase, Japan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

Disappointed in the hotel. It was very old, dirty, and in need of major renovations. The room had a very fowl smell which made it an uncomfortable stay. For an additional $20 a night you can stay across the street at a hotel located right on the beach and that is much cleaner. I would not recommend staying here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Paranaque, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

My mom and I kind of decided our trip to Guam the last minute. We found a reasonably priced hotel that has good location and we found this. It's a no frills place and it feels like you're in a "neighborhood". The general atmosphere of Guam is it is tourist friendly but what I like about Grand Plaza is that it has all the convenient places in its vicinity: an ABC Store (where we got our water and souvenirs), a salon, it's just a 5 minute walk from all the major stores like DFS and restaurants, and the best beach front is right in front of their area (after the road). Though the rooms are quite old they're clean and has the basic amenities. The staff are friendly too especially the front desk girl who checked us in. We got our free breakfast from the cafe next door ran by Japanese girls (the cutest cafe I've seen; it's like Hello Kitty and Kerokeroppi are going to pop out anytime), Veryberry. They have good and dainty sandwiches and their cherry coffee is awesome. I'd still stay in this hotel if I have the chance to go back to Guam.

• Stayed December 2010

Been to Grand Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!