“Stay somewhere else” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Plaza Hotel

Save Saved
You added Grand Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Grand Plaza Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1024 San Vitores Rd, Tumon, Guam 96911 , Mariana Islands   |
Ranked #18 of 20 hotels in Tumon
Ayase, Japan
“Stay somewhere else”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

Disappointed in the hotel. It was very old, dirty, and in need of major renovations. The room had a very fowl smell which made it an uncomfortable stay. For an additional $20 a night you can stay across the street at a hotel located right on the beach and that is much cleaner. I would not recommend staying here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

158 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Korean first
Paranaque, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011 via mobile

My mom and I kind of decided our trip to Guam the last minute. We found a reasonably priced hotel that has good location and we found this. It's a no frills place and it feels like you're in a "neighborhood". The general atmosphere of Guam is it is tourist friendly but what I like about Grand Plaza is that it has all the convenient places in its vicinity: an ABC Store (where we got our water and souvenirs), a salon, it's just a 5 minute walk from all the major stores like DFS and restaurants, and the best beach front is right in front of their area (after the road). Though the rooms are quite old they're clean and has the basic amenities. The staff are friendly too especially the front desk girl who checked us in. We got our free breakfast from the cafe next door ran by Japanese girls (the cutest cafe I've seen; it's like Hello Kitty and Kerokeroppi are going to pop out anytime), Veryberry. They have good and dainty sandwiches and their cherry coffee is awesome. I'd still stay in this hotel if I have the chance to go back to Guam.

• Stayed December 2010
Tokyo, Japan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

I could not believe how awful the room was. This place has not been updated in over 20 years! The bathtub was BLACK and STAINED and really disgusting. The drain in the sink was rusty. The wood doors were peeling. The refridge was not working properly. The beds sagged and were very uncomfortable. The pool looked dirty and uninviting. I really regret staying at the Grand Plaza. I suppose you get what you pay for! Stay elsewhere!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

OK, I'll be blunt. This place is no five star resort. If you are looking for luxury or grand service, this is not the place for you. I was on a 2 week trip here thanks to free airline tickets I had but no hotel. So of course, I was worried about spending a fortune if I wanted to stay here for 2 weeks. Well, this place was my bargain basement savior.

I paid less than $1000 for 2 weeks here, and this hotel is right on the beach. I'm talking walking distance. Its not walking distance to the downtown area shops but still a great location. We were able to buy bus passes and went all over the island with it, and the bus stops right in front of the hotel.

The rooms were clean and basic, bring your own shampoo/soap(you CAN use the pump soap thing they have in the shower, but I didn't), air conditioner worked great(really important in Guam!), and the front desk staff was polite but pretty laid back(its a Guam thing, I heard).

The hotel is connected to an ABC store, which sells EVERYTHING. I purchased everything - $5 sandals, $17 bikini, $2 box of macadamia nut chocolates, $1 hot dog/coke special, $15 sun dress, 5/$1 postcards, and souvenirs for all my friends and family were purchased here because it was really the cheapest place in all of Guam! LOL. I loved the ABC store, the people working there got to know us quite well! Besides the ABC store though, there were many places to eat within walking distance, including a Ramen house, an Italian restaurant, a coffee cafe, a Mexican restaurant, and a Burger King.

The internet/computer room was empty most of the time, and it wasn't air conditioned, but for some reason, it didn't get hot.

They also were supposed to have a shuttle that picks you up from the airport...unfortunately, when I arrived at the airport, I couldn't get anyone to pick up the phone. Maybe it was because we arrived at 2am, but that was really my only disappointment. But they DID follow through and take us to the airport when it was time.

I came here expecting a dump, so my expectations weren't too high. However, this place is far from being a dump. I was pretty pleased for what I paid.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

I was emailing the hotel. I didn't get a reply until 2 days after. I wrote again for some questions but got an answer 2 days after again. Since my flight will be arriving at 4am - I asked Ester if I should call their hotel to arrange for a pick-up or they will just send someone over (no need for me to call) - she said that I won't need to call anymore and that someone will come pick us up (the person will hold a banner with my name).

When we got to the airport there was no person holding up my name! I had to call them and was answered by a girl named AKI - she was really rude! I wasn't even finished talking - she cut me off!! I was furious! So when I got to the hotel lobby - I told her in a very sweet voice 'It's not nice that you cut off a person while she's still talking!' She said that she did that because she had to call the driver! WHAT A PATHETIC reason! I told her that she could have just told me to wait a sec or something! Right? I realized that maybe Ester (the manager) forgot to inform the necessary people - so that morning when I asked to speak to her - I asked her why we weren't picked up - she said that she failed to mention it and that she was sorry. I told her I emailed her and waited for a reply! She said she was unable to reply because her office was being renovated. I don't think that's a good enough reason!!

The room we were given was indeed a partial ocean view room. It was quite old but manageable. The hallway was without air-conditioning - it was HOT!! the aircon in the room was not centralized thus - we had to manually turn on the AC. it was cold and sufficient.

AKI told me that we have free internet access in the business center. it's open from 9-5pm. but when I went to the business center - it was closed!! I had to ask their admin office to open it for me! BUT this is the funny part! The staff forgot which key to use! Thus it took about 15-20 minutes before the business center was opened.

We decided to look for a new hotel - because this hotel was a crappy. The service was really bad!! When we wanted to check out - they wanted to charge us for another day's stay?! My mom was furious!! Good thing the receptionist was reasonable enough and gave in to our request.

overall - well, i was really disappointed with the hotel. I was hoping it was budget friendly and the rooms are nice - well. I was wrong! It was indeed budget friendly. The location was just about perfect -the problem was the staff named AKI was rude. That blew everything for me!!

I WON'T STAY HERE or recommend this hotel to anyone!!

THE HOTEL'S LOCATION IS JUST PERFECT - they should improve to get more guests!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service, quality of the rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Grand Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!