“Could be better. Stay at the Hilton” 3 of 5 stars

Pacific Islands Club Guam
210 Pale San Vitores Rd, Tumon, Guam 96931, Mariana Islands   |
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Tumon
Okinawa, Japan
“Could be better. Stay at the Hilton”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

When we checked in we were helped by a woman who had a thick accent. Maybe russian? The check-in process was smooth and easy. She told us where to park so we headed that direction. The parking garage was very erie and the lower floors had room items (stacks and stacks of matresses, lamps, old tvs). We couldnt find parking on the floor she suggested so we parked near an elevator, took out our luggage and our 2 and 3 year old to find out that the elevator wasn't in service! I wish the front desk had told us that upon check in! When we got to our room, I was shocked to see how flat the pillows were! They were literally as flat as like two dvd cases stacked on top of each other. There was a pubic hair (mens armpit hair) on one of the beds. There was also long hairs in the middle of the two beds by the nightstand and a whole lot of dust bunnies under the bed. I wonder how long they've gone without sweeping under there. We stayed in the Oceana Superior room type in Ocean Tower B. I can't even imagine what the lower room type, Oceana Standard would be like. The bathroom is really tiny. It's really cramped with two people in there. There is mold on the shower walls. We did not opt for the all inclusive package because we wanted to eat out in town. The water park is great, especially for kids. They provide lifejackets and there is enough for everyone. They also provide pool towels. If you are checking in that day, but are there too early, the hotel can store your luggage and you are able to start using the water park at 10am. If you are checking out that day, but leaving later in the afternoon, you have up until 5pm to use the waterpark/pools. A HUGE CON is that housekeeping takes FOREVER to service your room. We left our room at 9:30am to play in the waterpark and came back at 11 to change and go eat lunch. I was hoping that somewhere in between there, housekeeping would come by to service the room and change the sheets because my 3 yr old had an accident in the bed the night prior. We came back from lunch at about 2 and the room was the same as we left it. I started to get a little concerned because I was going to put my kids down for a nap and didn't want her to disturb us, but I did it anyway. When they awoke, still no service. 4:30 comes around and I finally call housekeeping. I asked to just get some extra sheets and towels. The woman on the other end was so rude and said "YOU DONT WANT YOUR ROOM CLEANED?!?!" I told her I did, however it was getting late and I asked her what time they were going to come. She replied " I DONT KNOW, WE HAVE A LOT OF ROOMS TO CLEAN ON THAT FLOOR". I was so frustrated and ended the conversation. We were heading out to dinner at about 5:30 and saw a housekeeper on the way out. My husband approached her and said, "Excuse me, my daughter had an accident in the bed; do you mind just changing the sheets on the bed closest to the door?" She said, "I will go in there and see if it's dirty and then change it". My husband and I just looked at each other in shock and left to eat dinner. It was finally changed, but that morning when I first discovered the accident, I took the sheet off and my daughter slept like a burrito with the comforter. There is no wifi in the room either. You have to take like a 5 min walk to the lobby to use the internet. I wish I had taken pictures to share. The view from the balcony was nice :/

Room Tip: If you want a decent room, be prepared to fork up the money
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Shanghai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

This review is coming late as we stayed here in December 2011. Guam is beautiful, but this hotel and water park needs to be updated. If you stay here, request the Royal tower and an updated room. We originally were in Ocean A tower and the room was awful. We were able to switch rooms for an additional cost. The room was a 100% improvement and worth the money. The resort has a lot of activites especially for familes. The kids pool area was perfect as the depth was quite shallow so our two children (4 and 7 years old) could be in the pool without us as we sat in poolside chairs. The swim-thru aquarium was cool, but my 4 year old was not tall enough to participate. The beach was clean and the snorkeling was great as there were many fish to see. We also were able to take a ride on the catamaran. The food was quite expensive at the resort, but it was also expensive if you left the resort. There are some great restaurants across the street from the resort and a KMart up the hill. I recommend renting a car for the day and drive around the island. I would recommend this resort, but only if you could reserve an updated room in the Royal tower.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

We took our toddler to the PIC's water park and we all had a blast. I cannot say anything regarding the hotel as we did not stay there. The buffet lunch was far above average, I was pleasantly surprised. Fresh and delicious menu items with a very wide variety. Word to the wise- if you would like dessert, hit that table first as it runs out quickly. We took windsurfing lessons which were a lot of fun. More individualized attention would be great. Although we had fun windsurfing, I still have no idea how to steer (nor did any of the other people in our group, which was amusing when we all hit the ocean to try out our new skills). There is a ton to do here. We went mini golfing (it was an average course, not very decorative, but a lot of fun), enjoyed the water slides (there are not many, but I thought their slides were more fun than Tarza's or Onward's), they have some really fun "pool obstacles"- trying to walk across a spinning foam log or cross a horizontal ladder of floating platforms), they have two different kid pools which were small, but entertaining, you can go kayaking on a very pretty "river" that runs through the resort, and a ton of other things. Everyone will find something they enjoy doing here. It is a great way to spend the day! Don't forget to stay for dinner- they have a good dinner show featuring fire dancers with another satisfying buffet. My only real complaint is that the beach has a LOT of litter. It was disgusting. Our toddler was trying to play in the sand, but that is really impossible. There are cigarette butts, plastic, rusted metal and all sorts of garbage just everywhere on the beach. I expected a LOT more of a private resort. They really need to get out and clean the area. But, other than that, I highly recommend it during your stay on Guam!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Taipei, Taiwan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

Paying relative high rate comparing to other hotels in Guam, original lived in PIC Ocean Tower, the room and restroom were extremely old with strong mold smells. Blood stain on the bed sheet and hair on the pillow sheet with yellowish colour, well, obviously they did not change the sheet. Windows to balcony were old and hard to open, once you opened it, it derailed! Seriously, no joking at all!

My other friends stayed in other rooms in Ocean Tower had even worse experience! No hot water during the night! Complained to the reception but no respond at all!!!!!!

We upgraded to Royal Tower by paying USD 50 per night, the room is acceptable after the nightmare in Ocean Tower of PIC.

However, the nightmare had not ended!

The waitresses in jcb lounge, royal lounge in 2F Royal Tower and the coffee shop in hotel lobby had extremely bad attitudes, rude with strong racial discrimination!

I would admit that the water park and the small wedding chapel where my friends hold their wedding were good, BUT please do not waste your money to stay here unless you wanna go to water park everyday!

We have complained to the hotel, no respond so far. (5 days so far)

Room Tip: Avoid to stay here (ocean tower), please buy day tickets for water park
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
PacificIslandsClub, Manager at Pacific Islands Club Guam, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

We apologize for your recent experience. Our Oceana Tower rooms are currently being renovated along with other areas of our resort to enhance our guests’ experience. We strive continuously to improve our levels of service and have noted the details of your review. We will do our best to ensure it does not happen again. We are committed to deliver the best possible experience to all our guests. We hope to see you again in your next visit to Guam so you may experience the true uniqueness and service quality that is PIC.

PIC Guam
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed for a weekend just off a spur of the moment. When we first arrived you can tell that the hotel is in need of a little update. We checked in at about 4pm with a 3pm check-in and had to wait a little before we could go to the room. We reserved one of the suites, having never been there we didn't know how to get to tower "B" we were told to "take the elevator down and turn right and walk all the way in". Key note for families bringing children, the elevator railing have a less them kid friendly carvings, although I understand the native culture idea. Once in the room the view was great, being able to see the southern part of the island was very cool. As for the rest of the room, the bed was 2 twins pushed together that was the equivalent of sleeping on the floor, and not good if you have bad back plus the pillows were paper thin.

As for the waterpark it is easy to stay busy for a couple hours with all of the water activities that they have. The lifeguards were very friendly and very dedicated to the safety around the pool. In order to ride the slides you must have a mat, this can be a very frustrating thing because all of the mats are in other pools or being taken back by families to their sitting area. They have signs telling you to put the mats back but it is not enforced very much.

Bottom-line: If you are looking to stay for the waterpark only then it's not to bad of a place. If you want to have a good night sleep along with a good time at the waterpark then you will be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Yokosuka, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Grandchildren 7 and 9 loved this place. Best water park facility I have ever experienced for big water slide, number 1 favorite, kayaking, all kinds of water games, like water basketball, supervised by hotel interns college-aged. The hotel gives wind-surfing lessons in the pool and then you can go out to the beach and wind surf. They have snorkel gear and guides for where to snorkel. You can catamaran sail at the beach, as well as do archery, badminton, tennis, racquetball, putt-putt golf and there are things I'm forgetting. It is the oldest resort in Guam and has a great location and extensive grounds. The room was adequate, clean, comfortable but just basic and I didn't feel like staying there and reading or relaxing. Negatives: at high tide there is no beach; the ocean currents were too strong for good snorkeling for the 7 and 9 year old, it is disgusting to sit under the hotel umbrellas on the beach as the smokers put out their cigarettes in the sand and there is definitely not good beach clean-up. Another big negative is that if you don't buy the complete package with meals included, it is too expensive to eat at the hotel. The breakfast buffet was $24 for adults and $12 for children for just mediocre fare. Not as good as the Westin breakfast buffet.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

We stayed here on good recommendations and also lured by the water park. And I must say, the waterpark is fantastic, very family friendly and great fun. It has a great atmosphere of ease, safety and relaxation and is a lovely place to spend some family time.

However, in terms of the actual accommodation, we were less than enamoured. We arrived, with small child in tow,at 2.30 in the morning (why are all the flights for Guam like this!) to be greeted by a trainee on the concierge who was unsupervised and took a very long time to book us in. We had paid the additional cost for the night previous, to ensure that we would have a room available and we did eventually get it - but after some time and by which we were all exhausted, over it and not very happy.

Now let me get to the room quality - I actually made notes I was so unimpressed: there are no proper blinds only slats which mean you cannot block out the sun (impossible for catching up with sleep during the day, after the 2.30 flight), there was mold in the sink and bath, calcification on the tapware and metalwork, rust on the shower curtain and rail, chipped and flaking paint on the walls and slatted blind, a bare metal hole in the wall & grill for the aircon outlet which was clearly missing its facade, plus the tea/coffee making area was very dirty.

Also the bathroom was tiny and two people could not stand in it at the one time.

I was very disappointed with this decrepit and unclean room that we'd been provided. I would recommend taking day visits to the waterpark but booking your accommodation elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Pacific Islands Club Guam? Share your experiences!