“Probably the best hotel in Guam, but average anywhere else” 4 of 5 stars

The Westin Resort Guam
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   105 Gun Beach Road, Tumon, Guam 96911, Mariana Islands   |
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Tumon
Bangkok
“Probably the best hotel in Guam, but average anywhere else”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Like a lot of people in Japan, we went to Guam because it's the easiest beach destination for us to get to. We have two little kids so travel time is a huge consideration, and Guam is one of the only direct flights from our small city. We enjoyed our stay at the Westin. The beach is beautiful and perfect for relaxing. The water is very shallow for so far out so it was great for the kids to play in, and easy for us to go wading while carrying them. We also took a snorkel and there are fish to see as soon as you step into the water.

I think if you're coming to Guam, you have to lower your expectations and then settle in for a low-key relaxing time. The hotel is comfortable and service is adequate. They were sometimes slow in making up our room (i.e. around 4-5 pm, after that I made sure to look for housekeeping and request it earlier in the day). The pool is nice, we usually went in the morning because it would get the full sun in the afternoon, which I found too hot.

The breakfast buffet was fine for us for the week. Each morning staff was helpful in getting a high chair set up for us. There's not tons of variety, so one week may be as long as you'd want to have it. I guess for the price of the hotel, it'd be good to change it up a bit more. We always ate outside of the hotel for lunch and dinner because the prices were pretty high. Luckily there are lots of restaurants around, and we took the shuttle to a grocery store. It's worth getting a $25 pass for the shuttle around the island and very convenient!

As others have said, the room is fine. Our AC worked well and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom feels the most dated and we had to put down towels so the kids wouldn't slip on the wet floor.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Kona, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

The Westin Guam was very nice and in a good location. I believe this hotel is one of the best hotels in Guam. The rooms were oversized and the cleanliness was like a 5 star hotel. The food was nice too. The one negative thing is that the WiFi signal was weak in the hot zone in the front lobby.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Rapid City, South Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I had the displeasure of staying at the Westin Hotel, Tamuning, Guam. Based on the limited number of staff personnel I dealt with, I would rate the staff as less than average in regards to knowledge. Upon check in, it took two people to figure out how to pay for my stay up front. When I asked for an itemized receipt for the stay, all I got what a receipt for the total. When I requested an itemized receipt the following day, I was told that was not possible because the auditors do that at night and my nightly charges could not be itemized until the end of my stay, though my bill reflected a negative balance, meaning I already paid for my room charges less incidentals.

After checking in the first day, I found the room to be very small and cramped. I was also extremely unimpressed with all the mold in the shower and rust on the fixtures in the bathroom. For a high end resort hotel, this was completely unacceptable (mold). The towels smelled horrible and resemble sandpaper.

As for the balcony, there were no chairs or table so it was impossible to sit outside and relax and enjoy all the sights and sounds. As far as sound, the soothing noises of all the buses and traffic below my room did little to help me get a good nights rest.

The phone handset in my room did not even work that wellI as those I tried to call had difficulty in hearing me.

On a good note, the beach at the hotel is amazing. I didn't even consider trying the restaurants as I was so displeased with the quality of service and staff at the hotel. I looked elsewhere for dining as there are a plenty of choices within walking distance of the hotel.

Now I expect to see a "I am sorry" response from the hotel. All that really needs to happen is for the hotel to hire a new housekeeping manager or relook at their maintenance and inspection program for the rooms.

To think this is what my Service to my country gets me after returning from a year long deployment is simply dissatisfying. I wasnt expecting the royal suite but I should be entitled to a mold free room just like any other paying customer.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Guamwestin, Team Leader at The Westin Resort Guam, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Hafa Adai,

We sincerely thank you for choosing the Westin Resort Guam during your recent visit to our beautiful island, and for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience.

We want to express our sincere gratitude and our highest respect for your services to our country. It is truly unfortunate, and we are sincerely regretful that your stay and experience was not upto your expectation especially during your R&R away from deployment. We have paid attention to your valued comments and have addressed your concerns about lack of knowledge by our Front Office team on your billing, the smell of mold in the rooms and the quality of our linen, Unfortunately the Hotel had to remove furniture from balconies some time back due to the safety concerns poised by high winds frequently prevalent on Guam. Your feedback will help our team reflect and strive for continual improvement. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and we sincerely hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back so you may experience a restful and pleasant stay.
Until next time, be well!!

With warmest regards,
The Westin Resort Guam.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I recently stayed here for our wedding anniversary. We ended up having an incident involving Prego during our stay that was insulting. They wanted us to sign a waiver in order to take our left overs to go. They made it sound like if we did not sign this waiver, we couldn't take the food we had already paid for. They brought two managers to our table to explain this was standard practice. Then we mentioned that we were guests at the hotel (something they should have known already as we gave our room number with the reservation) and then suddenly it wasn't a problem. My husband was livid so he called the front desk to complain to a operations manager once we got back to our room. All we got for the trouble was a sorry. Sorry won't make up for the romantic getaway they ruined. Needless to say, my husband and I won't be returning to the Westin. We are encouraging our friends and family to do the same!

• Stayed November 2012
Guamwestin, Team Leader at The Westin Resort Guam, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Chamkin03,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Prego restaurant. It is truly unfortunate, and we are sincerely regretful that your special occasion was ruined by this incident; it certainly was not our intention to make you feel uncomfortable or disrespected. Our Prego team is passionate about making every guest feel welcome and for them to enjoy their dining experience; regrettably on this occasion we failed to make a positive impression. It is our desire to work towards excellence and to deliver personal and instinctive service, your feedback will help our team reflect and strive for continual improvement. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and we sincerely hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Salzburg, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed at the Westin for five nights during our 10-day visit to Guam. The staff is friendly and the rooms are nice, unfortunately there is only partly seaview from the rooms and there is no table and there are no chairs on the balconies, so you can't really use the balcony. The beach is nice, it's also possible to go for a swim despite the reef. The beach chairs are locked together, so it's not possible to stay beneath the parasol all day. The fridge in our room didn't work and wasn't repaired or replaced even though we complained about it twice. Breakfast and lunch buffet was very good!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cocos Island, Mariana Islands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Last week we had the pleasure of going to the Sunday brunch at the Westin Hotel, Tamuning, Guam.

At $35 per adult and $17.50 per child it was pricey but the availability of crab legs, fresh sashimi, sushi, shrimp and roasted suckling pig made it worth it.

Champagne was free flowing and lemon tea was free.

The children enjoyed the music, food and of course the chocolate fountain.

Highly recomended, but get there early. The rope opens at 11am, and you will need a reservation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Cairns
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Had a wonderful trip to the Westin resort with my partner and overall I couldn't fault the hotel..... Our room was very comfortable and well maintained by the housekeepers despite the fact it looked like a bomb had hit it after all our shopping.
The food was excellent...especially breakfast in the Taste restaurant...a feast that set you up for the rest of the day. We also had a very pleasant Italian evening in Prego on the 2nd floor I believe.
I love to go to the beach and the hotel was right on a beautiful powder white sandy beach which gently sloped into the turquoise sea...idyllic!
The ONLY complaint I have is that there were only a handful of sun umbrellas on the beach and most of the sun loungers were exposed to the the fierce heat of the sun...please can we have more parasols??
Overall we had a wonderful stay and if you enjoy shopping you will be in heaven....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Guamwestin, Team Leader at The Westin Resort Guam, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear nightsister45,

Hafa adai! Thank you for your recent stay with the Westin Resort Guam, and taking the time to post your review.

We are delighted to hear that you and your partner had a wonderful stay experience with us. Particularly, we are delighted that you found your Room to be comfortable and well maintained, Breakfast at Taste Restaurant and dinner at Prego Italian Restaurant to be memorable.

Thank you for sharing your experience of having enjoyed our beautiful beach, as well. We have taken a note of your valued feedback about the beach parasol and this was shared with the respective department for improvement.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Resort Guam for your next Guam vacation.

Been to The Westin Resort Guam? Share your experiences!