“Excellent hotel; large room, great view, good service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Guam

You added Hyatt Regency Guam to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Guam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1155 Pale San Vitores Rd, Tumon, Guam 96913-4206, Mariana Islands   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Tumon
Denver, Colorado
“Excellent hotel; large room, great view, good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

I stayed a the Hyatt Guam for 3 weeks on business. After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor I was concerned about either mold or loud ACs. I'm happy to say my room at the Hyatt was a welcome "home" after long days working. The room is much larger than the photos, always a perfect temperature, with lovely view (6th floor), huge bathroom with shutter doors to reveal the view, and quiet AC.

Breakfast and in-room Internet was included in my hotel rate (be sure to ask for that package). I have to comment on the full breakfast buffet: fantastic assortment of hot foods including fresh grilled fish and vegetables (best grilled veggies I've ever had -- wish I knew how they did it), salads, fruit, in house baked breads and pastries, fresh waffles and pancakes. The real testament to detail were the apples! I grabbed one each morning on my way out of the buffet area to have as a snack later: every single one was crisp and fresh (hey, I'm from WA state -- I can't tolerate a mealy apple). Only wish I could eat more! The service was equally impressive--after a few days the wait staff knew to bring me green tea before I asked. I ate at the evening buffet twice and it was equally excellent, and actually not a bad deal at $39 when you consider how much you get.

The lobby and interior of the hotel is a modern, clean design. Fitness room was well-equipped and never busy. Pool area was pleasant, although I would have appreciated more attention from wait-staff. Picked up my rental car at the Avis desk there at the hotel. Parking was free and always plentiful.

The hotel is on the "hotel road" in Tumon, which has the Hilton on one end and another hotel whose name escapes me on the other. Location was great and I wish I would have explored the smaller restaurants (non-chains) on the southern end of this road. I happened to walk that direction on my last day and noticed Thai, Chinese and noodle places that looked good. On the northern end of this hotel strip-semi circle are the big DFS and luxury goods stores -- if you have a need for an expensive Fendi bag. Otherwise, for regular purchases, you're a very short drive or free-shuttle away from the Macy's at Micronesia Mall or the K-mart.

Wish I could have stayed longer to explore the Island more. I would definitely stay at the Hyatt again.. By the way, two of my colleagues stayed at the Hilton and liked it.
Yes the hotel is a little dated, but the room felt plenty modern....after all this is Guam, not Hawaii. But this hotel is probably similar to the Hyatt Regency in Kaanapli when you compare the grounds (but not the open air lobby -- too humid in Guam for that!)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

I spent 10 days at the Hyatt Regency Guam. I loved every minute! The staff was A-MAZ-ING! Everyone was so nice and accommodating. We spent some time enjoying the piano player and singer in the lobby, while getting to know Rowie and Chona in the lobby lounge. What impressive young people, filled with personality. The pool and beach are perfect. The staff at Breezes were especially friendly and always made a point of saying hello. Morning coffee was always greeted with a "Hafa Adai" and a smile from The Deli staff. The workout room is one of the finest I have seen in a hotel and kept super clean. Our room was fantastic, the bed very comfortable and cleaned by a remarkable maid who took very good care of us daily. The Hyatt is in the center of everything, within easy walking ditance to anything you could need. At the end of my stay, I didn't want to leave Guam and the Hyatt had almost become my second home. I highly suggest the Hyatt and I HEART Guam!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Seoul, South Korea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

When we arrived, we found plentiful parking, and a splendid lobby with easy check in. The room was a different story. While it sported the best view on the beach, the TV was broken, the carpet was stained, and several parts were missing from the coffee pot. We notified the front desk about the TV and the coffee pot, and both were repaired promptly. A constant supply of small flies seemed to appear out of nowhere, but they were not a significant nuisance. There is no wireless internet in the room. You have to go to the lobby for access, and it is slow at best. This was the trend with most WiFi hotspots all over the island though.
The pool facilities and beach access were phenomenal. After viewing several other hotels on the beach, the Hyatt takes the cake. The third day of our trip we did discover a significant amount of broken beer bottles on one of the more secluded pool decks, but the staff took care of it immediately.
The beach barbecue and spa were a huge dissapointment, because we never got to try them. Both were booked more than 2 days in advance, and we had make other arrangements at the Hilton, which had an amazing spa and spectacular fire show barbecue.
The hotel caters VERY heavily to Japanese.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

Although the price is a bit higher, it is definitely worth it for the piece of mind. This is fairly modern hotel, with friendly staff and very clean and comfortable rooms. No complaints whatsoever. I would consider staying here again if I had a litte bit more fo per diem lodging expenses.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

I've stayed at this hotel numerous times in my life for various reasons and it's always been amazing because my dad always gets the presidential suite connected to a regular suite. Nice dining area, reading area, and a huge balcony with a hammock. The bathroom in the presidential suite is huge enough to run around in. The regular suite is really cute too because there is a big window that connects the bathtub area with the room (the room would get humid easily though.. which can suck). The pool has always been really nice. The staff is really friendly.. even though they're a little too friendly to young girls. But what else is new at a vacation resort.

Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

I fly out to Guam from San Francisco and we stayed at the Hyatt. It was a nice hotel. When we first got escorted to our room by the hotel staff they opened our sliding door to the balcony and I heard Reggae music being played from the pool area and people were lounging around enjoying themselves. I felt really relaxed and the hotel is located in a great area.

Tumon bay is a nice beach! Crystal clear water and it's really warm! If you stay at the Hyatt make sure to visit Jamaican Grill a few blocks down for some great island style bbq!

My only downfall was jet lag! I arrived at night in Guam and it was morning time in California so my body didn't adjust to well. You can't blame that on the hotel but if you do fly to Guam from the "states", make sure you get plenty of rest on the way over! I would like to visit Guam again sometime in the near future! Beautiful Island!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

We moved to this hotel after spending our first 10 days on a military TLA rate at the Hilton. August is the peak of tourist season on Guam and the Hilton could not extend us past our original reservation because they were booked. Eight other hotels in the village of Tumon were booked, lucky for us, the Hyatt could take us for 8 days. This was great as we would be moving into our new home on the day of check-out.

We were told that it is against Hyatt policy for guests to push/pull the luggage cart. The front door staff were very helpful in loading the luggage from my vehicle to the hotel. Check-in was smooth overall; it took 3 front desk staff to verify my TLA rate of $95/night. We had to wait 10 minutes for our room because housekeeping was still preparing it. The hotel was packed with tourists and everyone was checking in at 3pm.

I was very impressed with our room. Compared to the Hilton, it was “luxurious.” We had an oceanfront room with a very impressive view from the second floor. These 2nd floor rooms appear very basic compared to the hotel room photos on their website. I noticed that everyone we ran into on the 2nd floor was either American or in the military; I can’t help but assume that they put us all on the same floor in these basic rooms because we pay less for the rooms compared to the tourists. We had 2 full-size beds, a desk, 2 desk chairs, a lounge chair with ottoman, a large in-room safe, toilet/bidet, soaking tub, very clean shower stall with water that gets warm/hot quickly, modern flat-screen TV, lots of space. The downfall was that they charge $20 to empty the mini-bar, so I just asked my kids not to go in it. I really wanted to use the fridge, but refuse to give them $20 to empty it. Not only is that just wrong, but that’s a rip off. Another downfall- no complimentary wi-fi in the room. There is high-speed internet access, but I believe it’s $20/24-hours. I refused to pay that, too. There is free wi-fi in the lounge/lobby and you’ll be joined by other Americans, US military, and other tourists who refuse to pay for in-room internet, as well.

We had a bit of a disaster one early afternoon. We woke up from a nap to a downpour of water coming from a light and another fixture in the ceiling of the closet area. We called the front desk immediately to report the problem. 5-10 min later, water was still pouring down and we made a 2nd call to report it again and request to be moved to another room. They told us the hotel was booked, but we called before 3pm (check-in) and said we didn’t feel safe in this room even though their engineers were working on the problem. My luggage and clothing in the closet were all wet and we felt that the light fixture may spark later in the evening. Though we were extremely unhappy with the “we’re booked,” response, we were stuck as all other hotels in the area were booked. 20-30 minutes later, the front desk called and said they would be moving us to another room. Approximately 3-4 hours later, we moved into our new room down the hall and were very satisfied. I was really worried that we’d be forced to stay in that first room and have to use the bathroom in the dark (bathroom and closet are all in one open space), or have a second down pour. Although things did not happen more quickly, I was satisfied that we were moved. In the States, I expect things would happen faster, but things are different in Guam.

They have a very nice fitness center. 4 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, 2 bikes, ceiling fans, A/C, and a second floor for free weight work. There is adequate parking in the garage, but don’t park on the first 2 levels as those are reserved for the valet. Their beach access is great. The pools are huge and there is a slide. We didn’t use the pools as they were packed with tourists and their rafts, flotation devices. We drove out to use the Naval Hospital pool; it was more peaceful there, no tourists, and has a lifeguard on duty.

The café has large bowls of fruit for $5, blended coffees concoctions, many desserts, and other snacks. I didn’t eat at the Niji or La Mirenda restaurants.

Also, a word about cell phones. If you have a BlackBerry from the States, take out the battery or turn it off unless you have free roaming on Guam (which I doubt you’ll have unless you were with Sprint). Calls and data are very expensive, so as soon as you can, go to one of the cell companies and see if you can use your BlackBerry on Guam. My husband used Verizon in the States. IT&E here on Guam was able to easily change the SIM card and use the phone on the IT&E network, with a new contract of course. This saved us from purchasing a new BlackBerry at the price of $199 for the Curve 8330. If you use your Sprint phone on Guam, you’ll probably be alright, but expect poor call quality and some dropped calls as you’ll be roaming (This is what I’ve been told by Sprint users. I have been disappointed with Sprint in the past and choose not to use them even if it means free roaming on Guam).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Regency Guam? Share your experiences!