“For a place like Guam, this one's a fairly good choice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bayview Hotel Guam

You added Bayview Hotel Guam to your Saves list
Bayview Hotel Guam
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1475 Pale San Vitores Road, Tumon, Guam 96913, Mariana Islands   |
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Tumon
Manila, Philippines
“For a place like Guam, this one's a fairly good choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

Bayview Hotel (formerly Ohana Bayview) is located on top of a hilly street that is close enough to the main road where shopping and dining can be had (plus some red-light district sights as well). Signs of the properties' previous owners are still evident in the rooms (including the cold temperature) and common areas and that ain't a bad thing because Ohana is a reliable hotel chain. The people at front desk are mostly Filipino immigrants so tourists coming from the Philippines can easily feel some degree of comfort in that regard.

Back to the room, I will rate it as acceptable, even slightly better, The large double beds may have seen better days, but at least, we never experienced saggy mattresses. The balcony in each unit is a big plus, while the lavatory's placement outside the toliet and bath area can be advantageous, especially if one is already in the shower and another one wants to brush his teeth or wash his face. As I've mentioned earlier, the temperature in our room was freezing and even after adjustment, remained cold. But this is no biggie.

Our rate included breakfast and car rental. The plated breakfast at the in-house Delmonico Restaurant was a choice among three varieties. The one with Spam was the better pick in my opinion. And the car rental arrangement was very convenient because we simply had to pick up the vehicle at the nearby Westin and return to the same spot without hassle.

All in all, I may not give a single superlative to the property, but I won't hesitate in recommending the same to future visitors to the island. Families and couples and even single travelers can take advantage of their reasonable rates. It is a safe choice for a destination like Guam. Given the same package that we got, I would say that it is value for money, with or without the Ohana stamp in their name.

P.S. For those with children or vertigo, I would suggest that you get one of the rooms in the low floors because the common balcony area leading to the units in each floor can be steep and a bit too close to the door. My mom had to push herself to the wall while walking to and from the elevator just to avoid getting a quick glimpse of the mildly dizzying height.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

Our flight arrived early in the morning and we were given our room without extra charge.
Check in and out were fast. They had wifi service in the lobby.
The room size was big enough, it has a balcony and 2 queen size beds. The sink was separate from the toilet and shower which worked well for us. It has basic amenities like tv, safe, ref, microwave oven, coffee table and work table.
The shuttle service was reliable and transportation around was made easy with taxi service which we found friendly and reasonable.
The location was just a little uphill but it was walking distance to dfs, the sands plaza and several restaurants.
Overall, we were happy staying with this hotel, another plus was the reasonable rate.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

The Bayview Hotel is very nice and a great value for the price. Its convenient to shopping, restaurants, a water park, etc. so the location is great. The rooms are nice, clean and, most important, DRY which is hard to find on Guam because its an island and there's tons of moisture in the air. The back side of the hotel faces a tall cliff which gives it a cozy mountain feel. The rooms face the city and the lagoon which results in a SPECTACULAR view from the wall of windows in each room. Very nice!

Free shuttle service to and from the airport. Restaurant on site. The red trolley stops at the hotel so its easy to get around town. All in all, we had a great stay and I will likely stay at the Bayview Hotel any time I return to Guam.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Boracay, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

The room was big and comfortable with standard hotel amenities. We asked for a king-sized bed and a microwave oven and our request was granted. The room also offered a great view of Tumon Bay. Front desk was very helpful and reservation officer was quick and prompt in replying to our inquiries. The red bus trolley stopped right in front of the hotel entrance. Very convenient! ABC store was a short walk downhill for snacks and for whatever you might need. I personally liked the location, very accessible. It is one bus stop away from Micronesia Mall. For families with kids, I saw a waterpark just right across the hotel.

Liked best: room price with all the convenience/amenities stated above.

Room Tip: for couples: ask for a king size bed! ask for a microwave, too.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Heerlen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

We were very impressed by this hotel. We were in Guam to get married. the hotel was very clean, smelled nice and the staff was super friendly and helpful when I asked for directions. We will definately stay here again. We found our hotel in Guam. Not at all what you would expect for such a low price but we were impressed.

• Stayed August 2011
Caloocan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

Based on the reviews I read, I am not expecting much from this hotel. The day we arrived Guam early 4 AM, my perception has changed a lot ! The complimentary airport to hotel transfer was very prompt, the hotel driver is already waiting for us when we arrived. Turn out he is also a Filipino. At the reception table, I was not expecting that a room will be provided to us immediately since I was advised way ahead by the hotel representative that they can not guarantee a room as early as 5 AM unless I book for an extra night earlier. I opted to take the chance and was planning to spend the morning sleeping on the hotel lobby waiting for my room. But, this was not the case. Our room was available within minutes after our check in.

After the much needed rest, we were ready to explore the city and bought a 5 day unlimited rides on the Red Guahan Shuttle (LamLam) bus from the hotel reception which cost me $20 each person. The hotel front door is one of the bus stop for the "hotel" shuttle bus coming from Micronesian mall so it is very convenient. Micronesian mall is just one bus stop away. The DFS Galleria and the Sands Plaza mall are just 10 minutes walk away. JP store and ABC stores are just walking distance and great places to buy souvenir items and quick bites.

Going back to the hotel, free welcome drinks coupons are provided which can be claimed from the hotel restaurant “Delmonico” near the lobby. The rooms are dimly lit. The hotel is already showing signs of deterioration but the room is clean enough on our first day. However, the room was not cleaned on our first day even though we asked the chambermaid that we passed along the hotel corridors to clean our room. So on the following days, I made sure to inform the hotel receptionist to have our room cleaned. Oddly, we noticed that on our last night that the room smells like urine when we got back from shopping. We have to open the balcony glass door and the bathroom’s exhaust fan to get rid of the smell.

I almost forgot, there is small pool on the second floor. Ideal for small kids since the deepest part of the pool is only 4 feet.

Check out is a breeze, although we have to wait for more than 20 minutes for our shuttle driver to arrive. Good thing that the airport is only 15 minutes away and the flight check-in is not crowded.

I will definitely come back again to Guam.

Room Tip: Take the upper floors to get a nice view of the city.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Minneapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

One thing I've learned about Guam hotels: never trust the pictures on their websites. The Bayview is a classic example. The outside of the building is its' best feature. The rooms are just gross (you can see the pictures below.) That said, the staff couldn't have been nicer, friendlier, or more professional. They really treat people like they are in a 5 star hotel...too bad it only ranks as a 1 star, beat up, old property.

Aside from my room not having hot water for two straight days, the bathroom had years of built up grime and dirt embedded into the tub and floor. The carpet was so old, you never wanted your bare feet to touch it. The furniture is sold old, one morning when I went to sit on a chair, the leg fell off. Lighting is poor. And the aircon has two settings, hot or freezing. The owner of this property needs to spend some money in it...but doubt he will since he gets so many military families and asian couples who flock to the cheap room rates.

I used the laundry room..looks like housekeeping has no clue what to do in their. The place looked like a dungeon. The euipment was so old, I thought the dryers was going to burn up my clothes...but what are you going to do...use your shower to wash your clothes?

The restaurant next door is fantastic. They do offer a package for breakfast - actually cheaper to go their al a carte...or just walk down to the ABC store for your morning coffee and danish.

Best thing about the hotel? Well...you are in Tumon. And you do get a lot of exercise walking up and down that hll. I know nice, reasonably priced hotels in Guam are far and in between. Be warned, the Bayview has a lot of rough spots.

Room Tip: There are none.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Bayview Hotel Guam? Share your experiences!