“Clean room & Great Location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Outrigger Guam Resort

You added Outrigger Guam Resort to your Saves list
Outrigger Guam Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1255 Pale San Vitores Rd, Tumon, Guam 96913, Mariana Islands   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Now & Save Up To 31%
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Tumon
Newcastle, South Africa
“Clean room & Great Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Perfect location and great facilities.Lots of great beach activities right behind the hotel. Very relaxed beach with varied watersport facilities with additional charges. In the centre of tourist and shopping spot.Room was clean & comfortable,bathroom was aged but clean.Breakfast was an awful experience to us.The service was terrible and staffs need more training to be achieved their 5 star level.Breakfast were very japanese which we were not enjoy at all.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
OutriggerGuamResort, Manager at Outrigger Guam Resort, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Rebecca C,

Hafa Adai! Thank you for sharing your experiences at the Outrigger Guam Resort. We appreciate your comments, especially regarding breakfast experience and we have taken steps to address them.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to better serve your better in the future.

Si Yu'os Ma'ase,

Lisa Lenckowski
Marketing Manager
Outrigger Guam Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
brit in korea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I just got back from a trip to Guam with the family including a 2 year old kid. We stayed at the Outrigger for 10 days and I must say overall it was a very pleasant stay. Only one thing might stop me from staying here again and why I didn't give 4 stars was the smoking.

Staff: Polite, and helpful and generally pretty responsive. With a bit of a ‘encouragement’ they changed our room fairly quickly and even brought up a microwave. Not the most knowledgeable about the area or transport options however.

Rooms: The rooms are good, all with flat screens even in the basic rooms and the twin rooms have two good sized queen-size beds. Bathrooms are a little dated, but if you are spending enough time in there such that it would be a problem with staying at the hotel, well, you have other problems. Some people on here recommended asking for a two-lovers point facing room to avoid being on the side of construction. I would actually recommend the opposite. The west facing rooms (construction side) get the sunset and I found were slightly quieter (no construction noise anymore).

Location: Definitely the best in the Tumon area. Lots and lots of restaurant options and proximity to DFS meant the best transport options, some of them free.

Pool/Beach: The hotel is right on the beach, can’t really ask for more. The pool has a single slide which is good for kids but can get a little crowded and staff don’t stop people from ‘reserving’ deck chairs with their towels and returning hours later. The pool layout at Westin and Hyatt was more open with a bar and restaurant (something the outrigger lacked). Annoyingly, if you want a sun chair on the beach you have to pay $30 a day to rent one, not what I would expect from a hotel already charging $200/night. From what I could tell this wasn’t the case at the Westin.

Gym: actually pretty good and always empty, free for all guests

SMOKING: THE ONLY SIGNIFICANT PROBLEM I had was smoking. This is a non-smoking hotel but guests (mostly from certain asian countries where smoking rates are high) still smoked in the rooms. The first room we had smelled of smoke, and we requested a room change which fortunately after day 2 was possible. The next room was much better, but even walking down the corridor you could occasionally smell smoke wafting under the doors and people would get into the lifts smelling of smoke, clearly having just come from their rooms. The other area where smoking was really annoying was at the poolside. Considering how many kids there are there i found it incredibly inconsiderate that people were smoking everywhere, especially as the beach was only 10 metres away. The hotel seems to encourage this by putting ashtrays all over the place, with one large smoking bin about as close as they could possibly put it next to the kiddies pool. The two hotels I checked out nearby (Hyatt and Westin) both had a no-smoking policy at their pools. Outrigger really needs to get its act together and put smoke detectors in the rooms and ban smoking at the pool. Of course, if you are a smoker, the Outrigger is probably a dream hotel.

So in summary:

Pros:

- Best location to shops

- Good beach access

- Decent rooms
- Fun for kids
- Great staff
- Free gym

Cons:
- Smoking in rooms and around pool
-No free sun loungers on beach

Room Tip: Choose west facing room on a high floor to limit noise from the road and large aircon fans which sit...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear seoultrain,

Hafa Adai! Thank you for sharing the experiences of your recent stay at the Outrigger Guam Resort. We value your comments, both the positive and the negative, it gives us an opportunity to review where we are doing well and where we need to improve.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We hope to welcoming you back as our guest on your next visit to Guam.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

The location of Outrigger was great, but the hotel itself was awful. The bathroom tub was not draining and I had to call the the front desk "twice" for fixing the tub in the bathroom. I did mention that if fixing the problem was not possible, a room change will be fine as well.

After coming back to our room late at night after "two" calls, I found out that the draining problem was not fixed at all. I called the front desk to ask for an explaination as to why the tub was not fixed, and they said " the handiman did come but the problem was not fixable, and they could not get a reach of me." !!?? How could a four-star hotel have this kind of reply and this attitude of handling such a simple and essential problem? First of all, it is impossible for a hotel not being able to contact their guest. Second of all, why wasn't there an offer of room change after noticing the draining problem can not be fixed??

After so many useless " oh, i'm so sorry", they did offer a room change , but it was simply too late and extra trouble for us to change a room late at night. She did say that they will track this incidence down and their manager will come to explain to me when I check out at 4 AM in the morning. It turns out that no one bother to explain to me anything.

Other issues including a loose faucet for the shower, which seems really sloppy for a four-star hotel. Also, the bed was really sinking in the middle as it appears a shallow U-shape if seen from the side of the mattress. Moreover, there are flies/ fruit flies flying and resting on the bread when I had the buffet-style breakfast at the hotel.

I wish not one has to go through this like I did, and I strongly suggest you don't choose your stay at Outrigger when you visit Guam!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ulsan, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I was nervous coming to Guam because none of the hotels, restaurants, or activities got rave reviews. Lots of middling reviews all around. So I was quite pleased with our stay in the Outrigger.

The Good
The lobby is nice. The rooms are even nicer. The view was 50% great and 50% awful. Half of the view is the clear blue ocean. The other half is grungy rooftop. Better than 100% grungy rooftop though. My in-laws' room had a view of the ocean and the pool. And construction. But the construction wasn't noisy. Nor is it the fault of the hotel.

Good access to shopping. It's connected right onto a mini-mall. I think it is called the Plaza, but that is confusing because there is another Plaza right down the road. And it's right across the street from the Galleria.

The front desk was great. Always cheerful and helpful. Upon check-out, the lady there found a strange $60 charge, and immediately looked into it and found it was an error. At most hotels it takes arguing, and calls to the manager, and calls to the travel agency to figure out what's wrong. Here, she looked into it without having to be asked.

The Average
Housekeeping/Engineering. When we asked for services (deliver a microwave, spray some bugs, fix a TV), we ended up waiting a long time, or had to make an extra phone call. I don't expect them to drop everything to get to us right that minute, but within 10 minutes is reasonable, and if not, a phone call saying, "Sorry, it will be another X amount of minutes" should be made. Housekeeping did a great job cleaning the rooms though.

Elevators. They don't go down to the street level. You have to get off at the lobby and walk to another elevator or take an escalator down. Weird.

Swimming pool. The slide is fun, but the rest of the pool is boring. And it's cooooold. If they had a bar or something else besides the slide it would be more fun. Maybe make it deeper and have a lifeguard on duty. The hotel should really run the beach there too. It's sad that it's a separate company who runs it and charges extra for all the activities and chairs and tubes.

The bad
Breakfast. We had breakfast included, so we thankfully didn't have to pay for it. I don't know how much it costs, but if it is more than $5, it's not worth it. The french toast and omelets (friendly omelet chef) were about the only things I ate. My family members (Korean) thought everything was too salty, including the yogurt. There weren't many Asian dishes represented, besides some kimchi and rice. It's surprising considering 95% of guests are Japanese or Korean. The toasters were broken. My niece was sick one morning and couldn't come down for breakfast. I had my niece's breakfast coupon with me and asked a lady there if I could take some fruit for my sick niece. I showed the coupon and would have given it to her. She said I'd have to order separately and pay to take anything out. Really? I am giving you my breakfast ticket which was basically paid for, and which shows I won't be using it again, and I just want to take an apple and an orange (no plate or bag needed)... Bah.

Thin walls. People weren't noisy, but if they had been... it would have been awful.

But yes, overall, the Outrigger was very nice. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms have a view of the pool and ocean. Odd number rooms have a view of a grungy bui...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Nagoya, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This hotel has great location.Very combinient.We can use Wi-Fi in the room,good.But in the room,we heard next room's voice.It was too noizy.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is good except the interior design is terrible. Feel you have gone through time warp and dropped back 30 years.
If location sells a hotel then outrigger is value for money. Real quality location.
Certain things really pi55 you off.
If you want a beach lounger it cost $40 a day. Why can't hotel run the beach.
No waiter service around pool. Mega loss of money for hotel
For some reason the designer decided the bottom if the pool would look good in a moss green colour. Wrong. Pool just look dirty.
Other than these and a few other things the hotel is ok.
Funny how the Japanese have no idea how elevators work. Mind you the elevators are out of the 60's

• Stayed January 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

It was a great experience in Guam. I never wished to had left the hotel I was having such a relaxing time there was a bit of a no no such as the service but overall I would come back again:))

I had moved from California to Guam to visit some of my family. I have never seen Guam in my life just some pics that my family was send during the holidays.

Last night on island I have rented out a hotel at outrigger my flight was early that morning my ambition of Guam wasn't what I had expected beyond beautiful.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Outrigger Guam Resort? Share your experiences!