“An awful exprience staying at outrigger Guam” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Outrigger Guam Resort

Save Saved
You added Outrigger Guam Resort to your Saves list
Outrigger Guam Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1255 Pale San Vitores Rd, Tumon, Guam 96913, Mariana Islands   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Now & Save Up To 31%
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Tumon
New York City, New York
“An awful exprience staying at outrigger Guam”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

The location of Outrigger was great, but the hotel itself was awful. The bathroom tub was not draining and I had to call the the front desk "twice" for fixing the tub in the bathroom. I did mention that if fixing the problem was not possible, a room change will be fine as well.

After coming back to our room late at night after "two" calls, I found out that the draining problem was not fixed at all. I called the front desk to ask for an explaination as to why the tub was not fixed, and they said " the handiman did come but the problem was not fixable, and they could not get a reach of me." !!?? How could a four-star hotel have this kind of reply and this attitude of handling such a simple and essential problem? First of all, it is impossible for a hotel not being able to contact their guest. Second of all, why wasn't there an offer of room change after noticing the draining problem can not be fixed??

After so many useless " oh, i'm so sorry", they did offer a room change , but it was simply too late and extra trouble for us to change a room late at night. She did say that they will track this incidence down and their manager will come to explain to me when I check out at 4 AM in the morning. It turns out that no one bother to explain to me anything.

Other issues including a loose faucet for the shower, which seems really sloppy for a four-star hotel. Also, the bed was really sinking in the middle as it appears a shallow U-shape if seen from the side of the mattress. Moreover, there are flies/ fruit flies flying and resting on the bread when I had the buffet-style breakfast at the hotel.

I wish not one has to go through this like I did, and I strongly suggest you don't choose your stay at Outrigger when you visit Guam!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Ulsan, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I was nervous coming to Guam because none of the hotels, restaurants, or activities got rave reviews. Lots of middling reviews all around. So I was quite pleased with our stay in the Outrigger.

The Good
The lobby is nice. The rooms are even nicer. The view was 50% great and 50% awful. Half of the view is the clear blue ocean. The other half is grungy rooftop. Better than 100% grungy rooftop though. My in-laws' room had a view of the ocean and the pool. And construction. But the construction wasn't noisy. Nor is it the fault of the hotel.

Good access to shopping. It's connected right onto a mini-mall. I think it is called the Plaza, but that is confusing because there is another Plaza right down the road. And it's right across the street from the Galleria.

The front desk was great. Always cheerful and helpful. Upon check-out, the lady there found a strange $60 charge, and immediately looked into it and found it was an error. At most hotels it takes arguing, and calls to the manager, and calls to the travel agency to figure out what's wrong. Here, she looked into it without having to be asked.

The Average
Housekeeping/Engineering. When we asked for services (deliver a microwave, spray some bugs, fix a TV), we ended up waiting a long time, or had to make an extra phone call. I don't expect them to drop everything to get to us right that minute, but within 10 minutes is reasonable, and if not, a phone call saying, "Sorry, it will be another X amount of minutes" should be made. Housekeeping did a great job cleaning the rooms though.

Elevators. They don't go down to the street level. You have to get off at the lobby and walk to another elevator or take an escalator down. Weird.

Swimming pool. The slide is fun, but the rest of the pool is boring. And it's cooooold. If they had a bar or something else besides the slide it would be more fun. Maybe make it deeper and have a lifeguard on duty. The hotel should really run the beach there too. It's sad that it's a separate company who runs it and charges extra for all the activities and chairs and tubes.

The bad
Breakfast. We had breakfast included, so we thankfully didn't have to pay for it. I don't know how much it costs, but if it is more than $5, it's not worth it. The french toast and omelets (friendly omelet chef) were about the only things I ate. My family members (Korean) thought everything was too salty, including the yogurt. There weren't many Asian dishes represented, besides some kimchi and rice. It's surprising considering 95% of guests are Japanese or Korean. The toasters were broken. My niece was sick one morning and couldn't come down for breakfast. I had my niece's breakfast coupon with me and asked a lady there if I could take some fruit for my sick niece. I showed the coupon and would have given it to her. She said I'd have to order separately and pay to take anything out. Really? I am giving you my breakfast ticket which was basically paid for, and which shows I won't be using it again, and I just want to take an apple and an orange (no plate or bag needed)... Bah.

Thin walls. People weren't noisy, but if they had been... it would have been awful.

But yes, overall, the Outrigger was very nice. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms have a view of the pool and ocean. Odd number rooms have a view of a grungy bui...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Nagoya, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This hotel has great location.Very combinient.We can use Wi-Fi in the room,good.But in the room,we heard next room's voice.It was too noizy.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is good except the interior design is terrible. Feel you have gone through time warp and dropped back 30 years.
If location sells a hotel then outrigger is value for money. Real quality location.
Certain things really pi55 you off.
If you want a beach lounger it cost $40 a day. Why can't hotel run the beach.
No waiter service around pool. Mega loss of money for hotel
For some reason the designer decided the bottom if the pool would look good in a moss green colour. Wrong. Pool just look dirty.
Other than these and a few other things the hotel is ok.
Funny how the Japanese have no idea how elevators work. Mind you the elevators are out of the 60's

• Stayed January 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

It was a great experience in Guam. I never wished to had left the hotel I was having such a relaxing time there was a bit of a no no such as the service but overall I would come back again:))

I had moved from California to Guam to visit some of my family. I have never seen Guam in my life just some pics that my family was send during the holidays.

Last night on island I have rented out a hotel at outrigger my flight was early that morning my ambition of Guam wasn't what I had expected beyond beautiful.

• Stayed October 2012
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed at the Outrigger over Christmas. We were given a room behind the elevator (with our 7 month old). We heard the elevator all night. We asked for a different room and were told they were completely booked. The beach was empty and the pool had plenty of room so we aren't sure where all the people were. We had no choice but to suck it up and stay in the same room. It wasn't too bad; at least you couldn't hear the people...just the motor.

Aside from the room, we loved the hotel. The room was gorgeous (though they could use a good vacuum). Spacious and good views.

However, the concierge (Ken?) was not helpful. We asked about a place for a simple breakfast (rather than spend $30 per person at the buffet). He said the only other places were McDonalds or Burger King! It was a late start so we waited until 10am to go to TGI Fridays for an early lunch. Some exploring revealed, IN THE HOTEL there is a 24-hour coffee place (kind of like a Starbucks) that has breakfast sandwiches, bagels, muffins, etc.. How was this not mentioned? In the adjacent mall, there was another similar place. Up the block, another! Yet, neither the concierge or the front desk staff (we asked them too) suggested this. It was like they didn't know anything about the area.

We loved the beaches (better than Waikiki), loved the pools, and enjoyed the trip. Recommended Restaurants in walking distance: Sea Grill (connected to the hotel). We are not seafood eaters; the ribs were amazing. The Asian restaurant across the street - above Fridays, also delicious. Do not recommend: Old Town Shanghai for chinese food.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel two out of three times and it is okay. The best part of this hotel is the location. It is directly in the middle of Tumon Bay and attached to the Hard Rock and across from the Galleria (high end shopping). The hotel itself is okay (most of the hotels are kind of musty just from being in the Pacific) the location is great because it is in the center and they have a variety of water sports at the beach of the hotel from jet skiing to snorkeling for a fee. Their pools are nice but the hot tub is just okay. The pool is always packed. This is definitley a family hotel with lots of kids running around. ( I stayed at the Marriott Tumon Bay and that pool was great because there were little to no children) The pool bar is great - and great service from thier staff. The front desk staff is seems so aloof whenever you ask them anything from recommendations or "where is the business center". If you need to work this is not the hotel for you as wi fi is pretty much non-existent and their hard wired internet is sporadic. I had a massage and facial at the spa and both were just okay. The staff was too pushy with the products. I go to spas all the time and I expect a certain level of this but they were over the top. I would stay there again but I am going to try the Hilton for my next trip on Island.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Outrigger Guam Resort? Share your experiences!