“Good times” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Outrigger Guam Resort

Save Saved
You added Outrigger Guam Resort to your Saves list
Outrigger Guam Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1255 Pale San Vitores Rd, Tumon, Guam 96913, Mariana Islands   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Now & Save Up To 31%
Ranked #2 of 20 hotels in Tumon
Ulsan, South Korea
“Good times”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I was nervous coming to Guam because none of the hotels, restaurants, or activities got rave reviews. Lots of middling reviews all around. So I was quite pleased with our stay in the Outrigger.

The Good
The lobby is nice. The rooms are even nicer. The view was 50% great and 50% awful. Half of the view is the clear blue ocean. The other half is grungy rooftop. Better than 100% grungy rooftop though. My in-laws' room had a view of the ocean and the pool. And construction. But the construction wasn't noisy. Nor is it the fault of the hotel.

Good access to shopping. It's connected right onto a mini-mall. I think it is called the Plaza, but that is confusing because there is another Plaza right down the road. And it's right across the street from the Galleria.

The front desk was great. Always cheerful and helpful. Upon check-out, the lady there found a strange $60 charge, and immediately looked into it and found it was an error. At most hotels it takes arguing, and calls to the manager, and calls to the travel agency to figure out what's wrong. Here, she looked into it without having to be asked.

The Average
Housekeeping/Engineering. When we asked for services (deliver a microwave, spray some bugs, fix a TV), we ended up waiting a long time, or had to make an extra phone call. I don't expect them to drop everything to get to us right that minute, but within 10 minutes is reasonable, and if not, a phone call saying, "Sorry, it will be another X amount of minutes" should be made. Housekeeping did a great job cleaning the rooms though.

Elevators. They don't go down to the street level. You have to get off at the lobby and walk to another elevator or take an escalator down. Weird.

Swimming pool. The slide is fun, but the rest of the pool is boring. And it's cooooold. If they had a bar or something else besides the slide it would be more fun. Maybe make it deeper and have a lifeguard on duty. The hotel should really run the beach there too. It's sad that it's a separate company who runs it and charges extra for all the activities and chairs and tubes.

The bad
Breakfast. We had breakfast included, so we thankfully didn't have to pay for it. I don't know how much it costs, but if it is more than $5, it's not worth it. The french toast and omelets (friendly omelet chef) were about the only things I ate. My family members (Korean) thought everything was too salty, including the yogurt. There weren't many Asian dishes represented, besides some kimchi and rice. It's surprising considering 95% of guests are Japanese or Korean. The toasters were broken. My niece was sick one morning and couldn't come down for breakfast. I had my niece's breakfast coupon with me and asked a lady there if I could take some fruit for my sick niece. I showed the coupon and would have given it to her. She said I'd have to order separately and pay to take anything out. Really? I am giving you my breakfast ticket which was basically paid for, and which shows I won't be using it again, and I just want to take an apple and an orange (no plate or bag needed)... Bah.

Thin walls. People weren't noisy, but if they had been... it would have been awful.

But yes, overall, the Outrigger was very nice. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms have a view of the pool and ocean. Odd number rooms have a view of a grungy bui...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

749 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Nagoya, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This hotel has great location.Very combinient.We can use Wi-Fi in the room,good.But in the room,we heard next room's voice.It was too noizy.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is good except the interior design is terrible. Feel you have gone through time warp and dropped back 30 years.
If location sells a hotel then outrigger is value for money. Real quality location.
Certain things really pi55 you off.
If you want a beach lounger it cost $40 a day. Why can't hotel run the beach.
No waiter service around pool. Mega loss of money for hotel
For some reason the designer decided the bottom if the pool would look good in a moss green colour. Wrong. Pool just look dirty.
Other than these and a few other things the hotel is ok.
Funny how the Japanese have no idea how elevators work. Mind you the elevators are out of the 60's

• Stayed January 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

It was a great experience in Guam. I never wished to had left the hotel I was having such a relaxing time there was a bit of a no no such as the service but overall I would come back again:))

I had moved from California to Guam to visit some of my family. I have never seen Guam in my life just some pics that my family was send during the holidays.

Last night on island I have rented out a hotel at outrigger my flight was early that morning my ambition of Guam wasn't what I had expected beyond beautiful.

• Stayed October 2012
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed at the Outrigger over Christmas. We were given a room behind the elevator (with our 7 month old). We heard the elevator all night. We asked for a different room and were told they were completely booked. The beach was empty and the pool had plenty of room so we aren't sure where all the people were. We had no choice but to suck it up and stay in the same room. It wasn't too bad; at least you couldn't hear the people...just the motor.

Aside from the room, we loved the hotel. The room was gorgeous (though they could use a good vacuum). Spacious and good views.

However, the concierge (Ken?) was not helpful. We asked about a place for a simple breakfast (rather than spend $30 per person at the buffet). He said the only other places were McDonalds or Burger King! It was a late start so we waited until 10am to go to TGI Fridays for an early lunch. Some exploring revealed, IN THE HOTEL there is a 24-hour coffee place (kind of like a Starbucks) that has breakfast sandwiches, bagels, muffins, etc.. How was this not mentioned? In the adjacent mall, there was another similar place. Up the block, another! Yet, neither the concierge or the front desk staff (we asked them too) suggested this. It was like they didn't know anything about the area.

We loved the beaches (better than Waikiki), loved the pools, and enjoyed the trip. Recommended Restaurants in walking distance: Sea Grill (connected to the hotel). We are not seafood eaters; the ribs were amazing. The Asian restaurant across the street - above Fridays, also delicious. Do not recommend: Old Town Shanghai for chinese food.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel two out of three times and it is okay. The best part of this hotel is the location. It is directly in the middle of Tumon Bay and attached to the Hard Rock and across from the Galleria (high end shopping). The hotel itself is okay (most of the hotels are kind of musty just from being in the Pacific) the location is great because it is in the center and they have a variety of water sports at the beach of the hotel from jet skiing to snorkeling for a fee. Their pools are nice but the hot tub is just okay. The pool is always packed. This is definitley a family hotel with lots of kids running around. ( I stayed at the Marriott Tumon Bay and that pool was great because there were little to no children) The pool bar is great - and great service from thier staff. The front desk staff is seems so aloof whenever you ask them anything from recommendations or "where is the business center". If you need to work this is not the hotel for you as wi fi is pretty much non-existent and their hard wired internet is sporadic. I had a massage and facial at the spa and both were just okay. The staff was too pushy with the products. I go to spas all the time and I expect a certain level of this but they were over the top. I would stay there again but I am going to try the Hilton for my next trip on Island.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Misawa, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I did my research on Trip Advisor before booking. I wanted to have the best vacation and I know by reading the reviews I would be able to make a better informed decision as to where to stay. I have never been to Guam before and it was on my list. I live in Japan, it's a little hop to get there. Made reservation and I we went. A friend of mine went with me as a vacation buddy. We arrive at the airport thinking we would look into renting a car but that didn't work out so we called the hotel to come get us. Sure, but we are going to charge you ten dollars a person. Well, what choice do I have? They came and got us.

We get upstairs and it's one of those hotel rooms where the room key activates the power in the room. That means the ac has been off since who knows when. God, it's hot in here and I am sweating balls. We crank the ac and look out the window. Oh look, they are building a new hotel, directly outside my window. Well that blows and the a/c isn't working in the room. I pick up the phone and call down to the front desk and ask them for a room change. I was told they don't have anything until Tuesday. Okay, can you send up Engineering to look at the ac? About 10 minutes later there is a knock on the door and some 12 year old boy with a hotel name tag comes in and says he is with Engineering and here to fix the a/c. Zippy, come on in. He removes the filter from the unit and washes it out in the bathtub. RoseAnne and I look at each other as if he has lost his mind. He stands around for a few minutes and confirms the a/c is DOA. He offers to bring us a portable unit. I thank him kindly and ask him to send up a manager as I have now found broken chairs in our room. He nods and leaves.

About 10 minutes later the phone rings. It's the front desk. Ms. Maysles? We have another room for you. We are sending up the bell hop to assit you with the bags, we are terribly sorry. Yeah, I bet you are. Doing my best not to take it out on the bell desk guy, we move to another room. Same set up but higher up, on the 18th floor this time. We settle in for the night. We discover the a/c in the room is on a governor. No matter how cold we set it, it won't drop below a certain temp. I think it won't go below 72. Right now, we have it set for 60. It is no where near that.
(The next day)

Went upstairs to collect everything for laundry and I put on my new beach dress. Now RoseAnn can't find the ipod charger she left plugged into the wall. We retraced all our steps, took everything out of all the luggage and it's no where to be found. I call down to the front desk and say we have a problem. Can they call housekeeping and see if they have it. RoseAnn waits to hear from the front desk while I go down to the laundry room because I am now out of panties. You needed to know that, right? 3, count them 3...1,2,3 washers for a hotel of 600 rooms. What? No really and this is supposed to be a 5 star restort. Fail. I grumble as I go back upstairs with all my unwashed laundry only to find RoseAnn has torn apart her bed and located the ipod charger!

Are you ready for this? Housekeeping had unplugged it from the wall and made it up inside the bed. Not on top of the bed but along the side of it. Somewhere you would never find it unless you tore everything apart. Now I am furious. The a/c still doesn't work lke it supposed to and things go missing and I can't do laundry. This is supposed to be my vacation. I call down to the desk and ask to speak to the Manager on Duty. I very nicely list all my complaints because I want her to help me not think I am Satan in her hotel. She says she will send up a portable a/c unit right away (this is 10pm) and she will have someone come into the room tomorrow around 10am to check the unit and give the room a serious cleaning. The vents in the bathroom have crust on them and haven't been cleaned in I don't know how long. She asked if we want to change rooms again. Not unless you are going to move me to suite, I tell her. We end up waiting an hour before I call back down to the desk to ask where Engineering is with the portable a/c. During all this I was able to get my laundry started and RoseAnn had to field a phone call from the front desk asking her who authorized the portable a/c. Really? No one hears talks to each other.

(the next day)
I had been sitting in the lobby for about 20 minutes before anyone came over and offered me a menu. It wasn't like they were busy or anything. I noticed 4 Japanese come in and sit down. They waitstaff was all over them and I was completely forgotten. Waitstaff never came back to me but waited on the Japanese parties hand and foot. I started to cry right there in the lobby. Since checing in I had been made to feel as if my business doesn't matter and I am less then because I am not the hotel's customer base. I work so hard and devote myself to work when I am there. I kill myself so I can take vacations and experence that "ahhhh" moment. The deep contented sigh of complete relaxation. I had been in Guam for 4 days and it felt like an uphill battle all the way. I couldn't take it anymore and I went up to the front desk. I asked to speak to the manager and she came out. I asked her to come around from the desk so we may speak privately. I expressed all my frustrations to her; how I had expected a follow up phone call about the ac issue and the last issue of service from the waitstaff.

She listened and nodded and apologized. She said she agreeed with everything I was saying. She room changed us one last time to a very nice suite and told me she would have strong words with the Food and Bev. Manager. I know that happened because I have seen a total change in the staff in the lobby bar. The manager asked me to give her an hour so they may clean the room. I explained we were going to the Weds Night Market and didn;t want to wait. She ask us to pack up all our things and they would move it for us. I thanked her and RoseAnn and I went to the market. The local market here is very much lke any local market. It reminded me of Portland Sat market with lots of food. We saw everything to see in less than 2 hours and headed back to the hotel. Picked up the new room keys and headed upstairs. It was a lovely suite and we settled in.

About ten minutes after getting into the room, there was a knock on the door. A young guy from the Front Desk was there with a bag of gifts. Two gift wrapped mugs and a letter of apology. I really appreciated the letter but I still wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Outrigger Guam Resort? Share your experiences!