“Pretty good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Nikko Guam

You added Hotel Nikko Guam to your Saves list
Hotel Nikko Guam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   PO Box 12819 | 245 Gun Beach Road, Tumon, Guam 96931, Mariana Islands   |
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Tumon
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Singapore, Singapore
“Pretty good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic view from the room. The beach is great. Nice water slides. Service is ok. 1 - the pickup at the airport was late. I would suggest taking a cab (this is my first time at guam). 2 - we had to call at about 4pm to have our room cleaned up. The room is definitely old but clean.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed here with my college age daughter for 5 nights. The room was lovely and comfortable and I didn't think it needed updating at all as some have said. A/C worked fine as did all amenities (TV, hairdryer, etc in the room. It's great that all the rooms, except for a few ground level ones, have a balcony. The hotel faces west so it is hot to sit out in the afternoon but since the sun starts going down around 6 it's beautiful to sit on your balcony, sip a drink, and watch the sunset. The pool is nice although the seating does fill up by about 9 or 10 am until mid afternoon. It does close at 8pm though but that keeps the noise level down in the evening. The ocean is amazing for snorkeling but it's so shallow because of the reef you can't really get a good swim in until you get pretty far out. The reef is rough on your feet so you will need water shoes but you can rent them for $5/day on site. I saw more fish and sea life here than I have ever seen in Mexico or Belize. I'm not sure other beaches in Guam are as good but Gun Beach right outside the hotel is magnificent. We didn't eat in any of the hotel's main restaurants as we thought they were a bit pricy and they seem to cater to the Japanese tourists. We were one of maybe 2 or 3 caucasian families at the hotel during our stay. There is a little bar/restaurant just 5 minutes walk north on the beach where you can find inexpensive, although a bit bland, food. Truth be told though, we found most of the food on the island pretty bland. The mini bar is pricey too but there is a convenience store in lower level where you can gets drinks and snacks for much less. The coffee shop on the reception floor has nice lattes and packages of rolls for breakfast but they sell out of pastries early so be there by 8am. There is a little coin operated laundry but it's pretty small for the whole hotel so go at a weird time of day (like 6am or 11pm) to ensure finding an open machine. The hotel is on the outskirts of Tumon so we were glad to have a car and there is plenty of parking. Dollar rental had the best prices when we were there. There is a tram that takes you into town but we never used it. Many people have complained about the internet and it's true you have to pay for service in your room. There is free wi-fi in common areas and 4 computers for guest use. Unless you are staying for work maybe you should disconnect from "back home" for awhile anyway. The staff was helpful and always pleasant. I have never stayed in a hotel this big and thought I might not enjoy it but was pleasantly surprised. The grounds are spacious, as are the rooms and the lobby. I felt very comfortable and not crowded by the other guests. I loved my stay here and highly recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: I recommend the Gun Beach side as the view is more serene. The Tumon Beach side will look into town...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sapporo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I was at the Nikko Guam last week for four nights, Room 828. The rooms are large and the view can be spectacular. Unfortunately, I reserved an ocean front room and was stuck in a room looking up the Tumon coast. 3/4 of the hotel rooms at the Nikko Guam will have the view I was looking for. I wanted blue, and nothing but blue, and had that expectation when I reserved. This was the first of several disappointments at the hotel. The second, arriving at night after a flight in from Japan, I wanted to check my mail. No WiFi, except in the lobby area. No LAN in the rooms. This really made me angry. When I asked at the front desk about it, the woman working there told me it would be $9 per hour to use the Internet in my room. There is free WiFi all over the island, even Denny's had it. For what is supposed to be a good hotel, in 2013, not to have it is simply bad policy. So, I found myself often after midnight sitting in the lobby with several other people checking mail instead of in my room checking my mail and relaxing. The third problem is towels. You have a hotel with a beach. In the room there are two bath towels (instead of the standard 4 at many good hotels). If you take a shower in the morning, then toss your towels in the tub (as they ask you to do), then head to the beach, if housekeeping hasn't come by the time you get back then you have no towels to shower and change. After the first time this happened, I began borrowing one of the blue beach towels and taking back to my room, then bringing the blue one back down to the beach before going out for the day. Major pain in the ***. Having gotten the bad points off my chest, the beach is great and much less crowded than Tumon. Most of the time I found only a couple other people on the beach. Lounging by the pool was nice, though the bar doesn't open until 11 and the selection is minimal in the off months. The hotel is a little bit away from the shopping area but the walk is pleasant. Would I stay at this hotel again? It depends on them. WiFi is a must, especially for those of us who need to keep in contact with work. And, if you advertise "all rooms are ocean front" as it says on your Japanese website the view had better be blue and not the lights of the other hotels down the coast.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Tokyo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My family and I stayed this hotel for 8 nights.
What we like this hotel is lunch buffet. They have a lot of dishes and the food is different everyday. So we really enjoyed the lunch during our staying. Especially their bread is best in island I think !
They have nice beach, swimming pool area is so huge that our children loves them and likes to stay there all day.
I would really recommend this hotel and would love to stay there again with my family !!!

Room Tip: The room which is Tumon bay side has really great view !
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Salzburg, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed at the Nikko for four nights during our10-day visit to Guam (we spent another five nights at the Westin). The service was good and the staff very friendly. However, the Hotel and especially the rooms are old and would need renovation. What's very nice is that each room has seaview and a nice balcony, from which you can watch the sunset. The beach is also very nice, unfortunately there are no cushions on the beach chairs, so it's very uncomfortable to lie there - that's why we had to buy pillows at K-Mart the first day we got there. Because of the reef it's also difficult to go for a swim (the water is too shallow), but it's a good place for snorkeling.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mizugama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Nice rooms, EXCELLENT staff, beach is very nice and not connected to the rest of Tumon Bay. Nice for maintaining the atmosphere but makes it difficult to visit other locations on the bay. The breakfast buffet was (by American standards) CRAP. I mean sliced process cheese in the omelet from a $25 buffet??? Our company booked quite a few rooms and the hotel for some unknown reason booked several people in triple sharing rooms. When we discovered this and asked to correct the situation, they refused and didnt offer any compensation. No fitness facility, though there was free morning yoga. Over all a very mixed experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Kaiserslautern, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The Nikko is located at the less crowded end of Tumon. It has plenty of parking because most of the folks there are from Japan and they do not have cars because they take chartered tours. Lobby has the best breeze out of the hotels in Tumon. If you are into snorkling then this is the hotel you want to stay in. It is next to "Gun Beach" which is by far the best snorkling beach on Guam. If you go at Dawn you can often see some manta rays that come in to feed and then leave as the sun rises. Very quiet and clean rooms. Housekeeping does an outstanding job. Dowside is that they cater almost exclusively to the Japanese tourists and you can feel as if you are somewhat excluded. If you want to get some drinks in you and do not want to drive there is an excellent beach bar that opened up within the past year at the end of the street where the Nikko is located and is an easy 7-10 minute walk. Well worth visiting one of the evenings you are there. Overall, I say this hotel is a 9 out of 10. Did I mention that it has the best lobby in Guam?

Room Tip: Higher floor that face south have the best views of the sun sets
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Nikko Guam? Share your experiences!