“cheap place” 2 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Tamuning Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Tamuning Plaza Hotel
Tamuning Plaza Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   960 South Marine Dr, Tamuning, Guam 96911, Mariana Islands   |
Ranked #7 of 9 hotels in Tamuning
Basel
“cheap place”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

I was looking for a cheap place to stay for my 4am to 3pm layover and thought this hotel was - at 59$ - a good option. Bad idea.
To confirm what was said before: yes, this hotel is a dump. everything is run down. EVERYTHING. Bed, linen, furniture, bathroom...
and it seems to be a "meeting place" for short time lovers...I had very noisy neighbours for some minutes. Surroundings is terrible: Massage places and bad food everywhere.

but hey, at 59$ it is probably still the best option for some cheap hours - bring earplugs and take a shower before you leave and you will be ok.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

28 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Las Vegas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

The person or persons writing positive reviews for this place must be the management because nobody would stay in this dump unless they were lied to as I was by reading some of the positive reviews prior to my stay. The place is a total dump with broken furniture seemingly ransacked from out of abandoned buildings. The rooms smell musty and moldy (I tried three before choosing one). The walls are paper thin so you can hear everything from room to room and the noise in the hallway. Seedy criminal types hang around outside and in the lobby of the hotel. Working "buy me drink" girls are crawl like roaches along with their dirty patrons. Bugs infest the rooms and the hot water lasted about 2 minutes in the filthy bathroom. The wireless is super slow to the point it is easier to use the service downstairs. The staff was nice, but the owner and his son seem like they are squeezing every last penny out of a place in desperate need of either renovations or a wrecking ball. If I could rate this place a zero, I would.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Tokyo, Japan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

I know.. should not be writing this.. but some have to be warned.
Most of the the reviews are old and outdated
Very run down. smelled like dirty dish towels through out the hotel. Rooms were as to be expected, small, but the beds were horrible! Would not even sit on the sofa.
Staff were very nice, friendly and very plesant. The locations was central so that was good. The people that hung around the lobby and outside were not. Actaully made be nervous. and were there at all hours of the morning. sleeping on the chairs in the lobby and drinking outside. Internet (WIFI) throught out hotel.. but very, very low signal!

Suggestions: Rip up the carpet and tile the whole place. NEW BEDS and sofas!
Get rid of the people hanging around the lobby. NEW TOWELS.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for a week in Jan 2009. It's a basic hotel, rather isolated. But if you're not a fussy traveller, then it's definitely a great deal for a reasonable price for budget-travellers like myself.

My room was clean, insect-free, with aircon, TV and small fridge. Quiet too.

The staff were friendly and gave me tips for where to go and what to see. There was free pick-up and drop-off at the airport.

The car rental was a great deal (cheaper than what the car rental companies quoted me). So although the hotel was not in the main tourist belt, I had no problem driving around all over Guam.
Really had a good time there, and I'll definitely stay there again next time...

• Liked — Centrally-located, great value, close to airport and main tourist belt.
  • Disliked — nil
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego, CA.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2008

I have traveled to Guam several time in the last few months. Each time I visit, I make it a point to stay at the Tamuning Plaza Hotel. It is simply a "NO FRILLS" hotel service. I agree with another review I read here. I would rather spend my money away from the hotel rather than a place to sleep. I just can't imagine paying top dollar for a place that I'm only going to be at during the night. Sure, the hotel needs renovation and some upgrades. I spent about 4 weeks the first trip this year and 3 weeks the second trip. Each time I never had issues with the high speed internet service for my laptop. No noise. Very quiet. Airconditioned and daily maid service. What more could I ask for. I wouldn't recommend it for honeymooners or for those wanting high end resort amenities. But for those looking for a place to rest comfortably at night and reliable high speed internet, Tamuning Plaza Hotel would be my choice. I look forward staying there on my next trip.

• Liked — Close to everything. Great price and wireless internet connection. Quiet.
  • Disliked — Needs renovation and reopen the restaurant.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2008

This is definitely an economy hotel, but much better than I was expecting after reading some scathing reviews. The rooms are clean and sanitary and didn't have any problems. It isn't anything brilliant, just your regular bed, TV, refrigerator, phone, etc. Oh, but they do have free wirless internet which was quite speedy. This was a great plus to keep up with work! They also have a computer in the lobby which you have to pay for?! I guess if you don't bring your laptop...

I had some problems configuring my laptop, but the staff were helpful in helping me connect. Didn't have any other problems with it. There was some slow times, but most of the time connection was great. Also was able to have some documents printed out on their printer.

Rented one of their cars which also wasn't anything special, but definitely saved me in taxi cost and was very convenient getting me where I needed to get to.

Most of all, I enjoyed the staff at Tamuning Plaza! They were very friendly and helpful. I am very happy I found them and will make my next trip to Guam easier to plan.

• Liked — Free wireless internet and the staff
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

Of all my years of travels (15 years and counting), this is by far the worst experience/hotel ever! And I say this with 100% confidence.

The worst reviews on this hotel on this site are ALL accurate. All good reviews were obviously made up by the hotel management.

This is what I endured:

1)I was staying in Guam for 3 short days, so I said to myself, why not take the risk. Can't be THAT bad.

2)At the airport, as I awaited the hotel "shuttle", I started to wonder if I made a mistake.

3)Then the "shuttle" came. I knew then that things are not looking good. This was a piece of 25 year old crap of a taxi for hire. EVERYTHING was falling apart. I won't comment on the driver, because, hey, everyone has problems. This taxi reminded me of the Chevy Chase on vacation movies where they check into a hotel and can't check out. I am serious. All the people were looking at me with pity in their eyes as I boarded the heap. Even now, I am taking this as "hey, this is guam" attitude.

3)I got in, and saw the "10minute change your mind" thing on the computer (which one of the reviewers warned about), which I first thought was cute.

4)Was given keys to my room.

5)When I walked in to the room, it was really was a room from hell. All the basics, like moldy bathrooms and musty carpet, etc. are all there. Then, I notice this HUGE (20inch in diameter) HOLE. THat's right, a HOLE right on top the bed. I cringed at the thought of what might be crawling there. The rusty watermarks trailed out of that hole.

6) Now, I forgot to mention that due to my crazy flight, I arrived at the hotel at 5am. So way too late to change hotel or anything. So, I decided to at least take a shower. So off I went.

7)There are these cubicles in the bath where the towels are kept. Just for the heck of it, i fingered the cubicle. Sure enough my fingers were smeared with black dust. Care to guess if I took a shower or not? BTW, everything said on other reviews about the disgusting nature of the bath is absolutely accurate.

8)So guess what I did until the sun came up? I started going through the phone book to call all the hotels nearby. Thank god at least the local calls were free. And finally got an excellent deal at another hotel which I won't mention here, but you can find out by searching for my glowing review of THAT hotel. So this took about an hour.

9) and I couldn't stand to stay there anymore, so I just went down to the reception (oh, yeah, this is something other reviewers failed to mention--there is NO elevator in this god forsaken place! I was given 3rd floor, and I had to lug off my crap all the way up at 5am--they didn't bother to even offer me help--and lug my crap all the way down an hour later! can you say "that's crazy"?

10)I had the new hotel arrange for a car to their place, and it was waiting for me.

11)I had to pay, of course, for entire 1 night say for this 1hour hell. Then off I went.

Mind you, I am an adventurous traveller. I stay in many budget as well as five star hotels. And I don't compare apples to oranges. I am comparing this hotel to other budget hotels in this price range.

This is a NOT a case of "you get what you pay for". This is "you wouldn't want to stay here even if they PAID you" situation.

Aside from the lack of offer of help with the luggage in a hotel without elevator, the frontdesk staff was courteous. I didn't give him hell, or made even one single complaint (and not so curiously, he didn't ask why I am checking out after 1 hour on a 3day reservation). So nothing really against the staff, but this is against the management of the place which must be bottom feeder in Guam.

I rate this as a sewer of a hotel. Rap (ignorant tourist) Trap.

Never, ever go there!

p.s. I am regretting big time that I didn't take photo of that big freaking hole on the ceiling.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Tamuning Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!