“Clean, modern” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tradewinds Hotel

You added Tradewinds Hotel to your Saves list
Tradewinds Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ottoville Road, Pago Pago, Tutuila 96799, American Samoa   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Pago Pago
Honolulu, HI
“Clean, modern”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This hotel was great. The grounds are well kept. The pool is very nice. The lobby is the only place to get wifi, but they provide you with a cable to get internet in your room. There was a decent TV and cable in the rooms, which by the way are huge. The bathroom had a tub and wire to dry clothes. The rooms were equipped with huge king sized beds, mini fridges, coutches, balconys, a desk. It was all very modern and clean.
The resturaunt was also great. The continental breakfast was mostly just bread, fruit, and cereal, but the daily specials were great!
The bar was a pretty cool place, the drinks were reasonably priced. The front desk staff were very kind and accomodating.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Olataga T, Manager at Tradewinds Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Talofa Amanda,

Thank you for your review of Tradewinds Hotel. We appreciate having you stayed with us. Our wifi in the lobby is free usage as well as the cat5 cable connections in the rooms. However, we do have wifi available in the rooms but is being managed by Bluesky our service provider. This service is accessible by purchasing a wifi access card from the front desk. They come in packets of $10 cards.

Regards and looking forward to your next visit.

Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my family for 3 weeks. The staff was very friendly and always greeted us and our 2 kids by name. Got to meet management- who checked in to see how our long stay was going. Our room was nice and clean, and our room was cleaned very well daily.

Wifi works very well in the lobby- not so in the rooms.

Equator restaurant consistently good- occasionally very good. Complimentary breakfasts ate pretty basic- but you can pay for a larger meal.

Aside from the friendly staff- the highlight for our family was the pool- which was very nice, always very clean and never crowded. My family swam every day and we were often alone in the pool.

Highly recommed staying here. GREAT accommodations for American Samoa!

• Stayed August 2012
Olataga T, Manager at Tradewinds Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Talofa Southpacificfam,

It is always a pleasure to host families in our establishment and we are glad that you have enjoyed the experience. We try our best to upkeep the premises to cater to the demands of our guests. Our wifi though is free of charge at the lobby but is available at the other floors through our service provider Bluesky Communications. This service is accessible though by buying an access wifi cards available at the front desk. They come in packets of $10. Internet in the rooms are free of charge but requires usage of a cat5 cable to connect to your peripheral device.

We look forward to your next visit.

Regards
Management
Apia, null, Samoa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

For me it is about a clean comfortable place to stay that suits business travel and this one does. The staff are excellent, the place is very well maintained and clean. The food is decent, free internet is great. For my purposes it is well located and great value.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Honolulu
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

The lobby is very nice, the rooms large and clean. The hotel offers a continental breakfast which is fair. I have noticed the food everywhere in Samoa to be fair. The views are nothing to speak of, but the hotel is within walking distance to a "Cost-U-Less" store and a convenience store. The hotel bar is kind of cool with live local music and a variety of drinks. The restaurant OK, nothing special but passable. There is only Lan internet in the rooms, no wireless except in the lobby.

Room Tip: Ask for the "51" rooms for the larger balcony
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Stayed here for 1 month while working in AS. Nice comfortable rooms and good service. The bar was a nice break from the grind with good drinks, nice people and good food. Its centrally located and offers massages and a very nice pool.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Lawrenceville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

While it may be, as another reviewer put it, a "soulless, cookie cutter" hotel .... it's a clean, comfortable soulless cookie cutter of a hotel and easily one of the nicest in American Samoa. The staff was friendly and attentive, the air conditioning was nice and cold, and the rooms were modern and clean. The location is convenient to the airport and let's face it, American Samoa is not a large island so driving anywhere you need to be doesn't take long (and the scenery is great). I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Stayed here four nights, and was pleased I selected this hotel. The hotel's airport pick-up brought me to the hotel the evening I arrived. The lobby is nicely decorated, with beautiful floral arrangements throughout. I stayed in one room the first night, facing the street & grocery store, and then moved to another room one floor down, facing the back and pool area. (I think I was supposed to have a pool view room, or something like that.) The rooms were both large, with comfortable beds, along with dated and generally average decor/fixtures. I saw two or three cockroaches in the bathroom area within the first 10 or 15 minutes of arrival - normally that would be cause for great alarm on my part, but giving the tropical island locale, I didn't get too worked up (just made sure my bags were always closed). In my second room, I never saw any (but I was sure they were still there somewhere...- how could they not be?). The staff members were friendly and welcoming - that makes a big difference. The included breakfast is very basic, but it's something. I believe you can also order additional things off the menu. I ate three suppers at the restaurant - food was good. The internet cafe was useful for getting on the computer when needed. I don't think I ever saw anyone at the pool, and as I recall, there weren't any chairs around it - just concrete, so it didn't look particularly welcoming. On the Friday night I was there, some sort of special dinner event was going on out by the pool under a tent - it was sold out. Some festive entertainment and dancing went on - which I was able to watch. There is a little convenience store across the street, which is handy. I did see one of the other main hotels I had considered in Pago Pago (on the water), and I felt glad I chose to stay at Tradewinds, which seemed much more comfortable. (One thing to know about coming here - don't plan on going out for walks or a jog - the stray dog problem makes that dangerous.) One odd thing I remember about the hotel, was the loud music/radio playing in the halls, but once inside the room, I couldn't hear it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Tradewinds Hotel? Share your experiences!