“Top end hotel in American Samoa ...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tradewinds Hotel

You added Tradewinds Hotel to your Saves list
Tradewinds Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ottoville Road, Pago Pago, Tutuila 96799, American Samoa   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Pago Pago
Lawrenceville
“Top end hotel in American Samoa ...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

While it may be, as another reviewer put it, a "soulless, cookie cutter" hotel .... it's a clean, comfortable soulless cookie cutter of a hotel and easily one of the nicest in American Samoa. The staff was friendly and attentive, the air conditioning was nice and cold, and the rooms were modern and clean. The location is convenient to the airport and let's face it, American Samoa is not a large island so driving anywhere you need to be doesn't take long (and the scenery is great). I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Stayed here four nights, and was pleased I selected this hotel. The hotel's airport pick-up brought me to the hotel the evening I arrived. The lobby is nicely decorated, with beautiful floral arrangements throughout. I stayed in one room the first night, facing the street & grocery store, and then moved to another room one floor down, facing the back and pool area. (I think I was supposed to have a pool view room, or something like that.) The rooms were both large, with comfortable beds, along with dated and generally average decor/fixtures. I saw two or three cockroaches in the bathroom area within the first 10 or 15 minutes of arrival - normally that would be cause for great alarm on my part, but giving the tropical island locale, I didn't get too worked up (just made sure my bags were always closed). In my second room, I never saw any (but I was sure they were still there somewhere...- how could they not be?). The staff members were friendly and welcoming - that makes a big difference. The included breakfast is very basic, but it's something. I believe you can also order additional things off the menu. I ate three suppers at the restaurant - food was good. The internet cafe was useful for getting on the computer when needed. I don't think I ever saw anyone at the pool, and as I recall, there weren't any chairs around it - just concrete, so it didn't look particularly welcoming. On the Friday night I was there, some sort of special dinner event was going on out by the pool under a tent - it was sold out. Some festive entertainment and dancing went on - which I was able to watch. There is a little convenience store across the street, which is handy. I did see one of the other main hotels I had considered in Pago Pago (on the water), and I felt glad I chose to stay at Tradewinds, which seemed much more comfortable. (One thing to know about coming here - don't plan on going out for walks or a jog - the stray dog problem makes that dangerous.) One odd thing I remember about the hotel, was the loud music/radio playing in the halls, but once inside the room, I couldn't hear it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Magna, Utah, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

The staff at the Tradewinds Hotel were all amazing! Very friendly and eager to help with anything you need. The room service was great, I kept my stuff out and they were able to clean up around my mess, I loved everyone there! I especially loved their beds, I'm not a very good sleeper away from home but the matress' were great, soft, and super comfy! I stayed there for a week and a half and while there made great friends with the staff, they showed me where to go around the island and what the best sites to see were. I look forward to visiting again one day!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

As an international traveler who spends a lot of time in the Caribbean Islands, I wasn't sure what to expect coming to a small Pacific island with a similar culture and climate. Tradewinds Hotel in Ottoville, less than 5 minutes from the Tuitila Airport, totally exceeded all my expectations. The room was spotless and large, the bed was comfortable, the A/C worked well, the shower was hot with great pressure, and the daily housekeeping was perfect every day. The front desk and bell staff were friendly and cheerful. I had utilized their on site car rental service, the car was ready when I arrived, clean, and full of gas. I asked for a (very) late checkout as I was catching the 1120pm Thursday night flight to Honolulu; it was granted to me immediately. I did not have the chance to try the in-house Equator restaurant; I did grab a lunch-to-go in the Kofe Plus cafe, the sandwich was fresh, delicious, and the lunch was less than $5 total. I would highly recommend Tradwinds for a short or long stay. Thank you Cathie and your staff for your hospitality and warmth !!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Gold Coast, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I was away for a buisness trip spanning several countries and this was a great place to stopover in American Samoa. The staff were friendly at the front counter, they helped out with all requests with a smile. My room was rather nice however there were a few pesky cockroaches. Didnt bother me but make sure you check your bed. The aircon was fantastic! It felt like walking into a different country when I reached my room plus it was pre-cooled so when I checked in it was already lovely and chilly.
The meals were large and filling. Deserts were very tasty (also VERY sweet).
I would recommend Tradewinds when returning to Am. Samoa

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We recently organized a modest size conference at the Tradewinds Hotel in American Samoa. The internationally diverse staff at every level were a joy to work with, consistently going out of their way to ensure that we had a highly successful meeting. The front desk personnel were particularly friendly and helpful as they addressed a number of special requests by our participants. Even the tsunami warning in the midst of our conference was handled in a highly professional and practical manner. Restaurant staff from Fiji were happy to contribute to our talent show by dancing near the pool! The hotel made an exceptional effort to move the opening of our meeting to a ballroom near the hotel which allowed far larger numbers of local citizens to attend. I will always be most grateful to everyone at Tradewinds. Mahalo!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Belize Cayes, Belize
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

In the Pacific islands one is not generally spoiled for choice, and Tradewinds is one of two western-style modern hotels in Pago Pago (the other being Sadie's). Tradewinds doesn't have the view as it is tucked away inland, but it is conveniently close to the airport. The hotel is kept very clean, and only lost a point because or the occasional cockroaches (they are practically impossible to eradicate completely, and Tradewinds has done the best job of any of the 8+ hotels I've visited in the Pacific), but what stands out is the friendly and helpful staff who will go out of their way to resolve problems or make your stay more pleasant.

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Tradewinds Hotel? Share your experiences!