“Relaxing Bellows” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bellows Air Force Station

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waimanalo
Bellows Air Force Station
You added Bellows Air Force Station to your Saves list
220 Tinker Road, ** Hotel is for Military personnel (active or retired) ONLY, Waimanalo, Oahu, HI 96795   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sacramento, CA
“Relaxing Bellows”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have been to Bellows beach several times, but in November, 2010, we stayed 5 nights. First off, the cabins are simple cinderblock duplexes. Our unit was a two bedroom with a sofa-sleeper. They are not luxurious but work well for a family of 5. Yes, there are some bugs, but our unit did not have that many. The cabins, in my opinion, are only 10% of the reason to stay at Bellows. The beach makes up the other 90%. It is beautiful with the best sand on Oahu. The waves break nicely for boogy boarding or body surfing. There is no coral, unless you swim offshore about 500 meters, so your toes only touch soft sand while out catching waves. A Subway and mini mart are nearby for food and supplies. My oldest son and I decided to do paintball, which is located near the old runway. What a blast that was! We played for hours, mainly because we won 500 extra rounds during one Capture-the-Flag game. My son did the Medal of Honor run and got the flag for our team. I highly recommend staying at Bellows.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Mackenbach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Condos are great and have Internet (wired and wireless). The view is great and water is close (can see from balcony), but the usable beach (past stone wall) is a couple hundred yards away: Not a complaint, but just to inform if you want the beach outside your door, don't pick the condos. Not a big deal for us, we had to rent equipment (boogey board, kayak) and swim at Turtle Bay (15 mi. Walk). Great location and nice facilities for a very decent price in HI for our family!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I have been coming to Bellows in January about every other year since 2000. My dad is retired Navy, so in previous years have stayed with my parents in their two bedroom cabin. With the new rules each id card holder can now rent two cabins instead of one, so this year we got our own cabin. Much more doable as four adults in one cabin is a bit crowded.

Unfortunately we ended up with an un-renovated cabin two back from the ocean (furthest away of any cabin). To make things worse, we had way to many of the “pests in paradise”. After lots of spraying and roach motels, everything was good, but the wife had a hard time getting over that part.

The accommodations vary greatly. The renovated cabin my parents had was right off the beach and did not have the pests. These cabins have tile floors. Some cabins have new furniture. All the regular cabins have a couch, dining table (some normal height, others at bar height), picnic table, and two plastic chairs. Some of the cabins are slightly larger and have a lounge chair. Size of cabin does not vary the price, instead it is based on location and renovated or not.

The new condos are definitely a step up. They have same items, it is just everything is new. The one thing lacking here is charcoal grills, which the regular cabins have – so no outdoor cooking at these. The condos also have nice outdoor furniture. They are sit back, so you want upper level one to get best view of ocean. These also have a/c which is needed because you do not get the ocean breeze as easily.

The “rustic cabins” are just basically camping. No electricity – just a solar powered light that lasts a few hours.

You need to have military id for shopping at the commissary. For Subway and main check-in building no id is needed as long as you pay cash.

The laundry is coin operated outdoor (roof) and huge improved area over years ago. It gets crowded, but you have a view of the beach, so waiting here is not a hardship. It is open 24 hours a day, so going very early is probably the best bet.

Internet access is slow and hard wired only. Wifi is available at condos and front desk. It did go out for about 18 hours on one of our days.

The beach is the best part. On weekends beach gets crowded in parts, but it is wide open and you can walk about 3 miles. During the week the beach area drops to about half mile, but it is empty. Great for viewing sunrises in your pj’s.

For movie night, we were the only ones there. They put the movie on the outdoor tv for us, great to watch it and see ocean at same time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for Christmas 2012 and was great. Clean, simple rooms, amazing beach, and very affordable. The private beach really does make this place. No matter where you stay, you hear and see the ocean. None of the houses are very far from the beach... All are within a few minutes walk. This is a great place to go with a family, as a couple, or by yourself. Be sure to double check your reservation a few days before you travel, and you will likely need to book this place more that a year in advance if you want busier times.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Stayed in the new condo had a room on the first floor with a patio viewing the ocean. I have travelled to Oahu a few times and have always stayed downtown, and used the beach at Bellows. This time I decided to stay here with my new fiancé(I proposed on this trip). I can honestly say I could not be more satisfied!! the beach is wonderful, and the sunrise was spectacular!! The room is great, well furnished, and comfortable. Not much of an issue but a rug in the living room may cut down on echoes, and maybe a grill to use would be nice.

This place is wonderful and well worth the effort to get a reservation!!!

Room Tip: try and book early
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Stafford, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Absolutely the best beach on Oahu. Very private during the week and still not overcrowded on the weekends. Family of five stayed in the bungalow and it was a little tight at times but the water views and beach make up for that. I would definately do it again. Usually you would expect to pay $450 a night for this type of location. we stayed 7 days for $505 total.

Room Tip: Get a bungalow on the water if possible so that you can walk out the back door right onto the beach...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Laurel, MD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I have been to Bellows Stations many times to use the beach and wanted to stay there. I made a reservation months ago and now have to cancel. I've tried calling multiple times both on weekends and weekdays. The phone just rings and rings. I've written the e-mail POCs listed on their web site twice and received no reply. My next step will be to try what another poster did - contact the base commander. Seriously? I have to do that to simply cancel a reservation and get a deposit refund?

The customer service is awful. If you are running a lodging operations you need to be able to be reached.

The Hale Koa has some downsides but at least you can reach a person. I would never actually stay here for fear they would again take my money, but be unreachable if I needed to cancel or change a reservation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Bellows Air Force Station? Share your experiences!