“Fun luau, campy...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 Attractions in Waimanalo
Type: Performances
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Chief's Luau is TripAdvisor's #1 ranked paid attraction on the island of Oahu. It is the ultimate authentic, interactive and romantic experience that culminates with a spectacular 10-minute, 8-man fire knife dance. You will feel you were invited to the Chief's backyard. Experience up-close and personal activities with Chief's entire cast, 'imu ceremony and a sumptuous dinner buffet. Stunning ocean-mountain vista, the smallest and most intimate of all luaus on Oahu, located only 25 minutes from Waikiki. Produced by Chief Sielu Avea.
Savannah, Georgia
122 attraction reviews
“Fun luau, campy...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

If you're looking for a traditional luau that is culturally accurate, this is not for you. It is a campy show with lots of jokes, pranks, and innuendo. However, you will enjoy the show and the food, you will chuckle at the jokes, and in the end you will have a good time. Be sure to get there early enough to participate in the pre-show activities. This was fun to experience once, I would not go again.

Ventura, California
“My Son Wanted to Experience a Luau”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Before we got to Hawaii, I had booked a few activies for all of us to enjoy. When we got to Oahu, my 22 year son wanted to go to a luau. Who knew? I had been to several luaus over the years and was kinda over them, but since he had never been to one, I hastily booked the Chief's Luau based on reviews and we had the best time. Before the show, we all got painted tatoos, wove headbands, threw the lances into the circle, and made fire. During the show, Chief Sielu was at the heart of everything. He played the slack key guitar, told us about the way the pig was cooked, laughed, sang and joked his way through the evening. The pace was very good and the fire dance at the end was absolutely spell binding. My son still talks about the event. Chief Sielu is 'da man' and his group of entertainers are excellent. Great time!

Visited November 2012
5 attraction reviews
“Make this your Hawaiian Luau!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I saw Chief perform just under 2 years ago at Polynesian Cultural Center. I'm back in Oahu and stumbled upon learning he created his own luau show. If you read my other review it is my pleasure to report Luau redemption courtesy of Chief and his stellar crew after my fiasco in Maui (see my review). I decided to go with my gut that Chief could deliver and so pleased I did! The entertainment and humor throughout the show was great. Good energy and good humor really helped the experience. Make this your Hawaiian luau experience! Also, a quick sidebar is the location was beautiful and make sure you get there at 4:30 as that is not only when the gates open but the pre-show starts.

“Fun! Fun! Fun!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I were looking for a luau and per Yelp's reviewers decided to go with Chief's Luau. It had stellar reviews and I can see why. I'm very glad we chose this over any of the others because it was a traditional outdoor luau unlike some of the indoor ones other hotels were offering. The entertainment was phenomenal and so much fun. The dancers were awesome and Chief was hilarious! There was also something very heartfelt about him and you can tell he was sincere in wanting to share his culture with everyone. Overall, entertainment was 5 stars all the way.

The food on the other hand was very standard and nothing to be wowed about, but I guess the same goes for all other luaus. It's buffet style and the food got cold quickly with the outdoor location and the wind. It was also slim pickin's for beverages. I had the red wine, which I suggest you skip. The maitais were ok.

I would have to say though that you come for the entertainment. The experience definitely makes up where the food is lacking and becomes a very minor issue in the end anyway since the luau itself is so much fun. Come before the actual show starts for some of the activities especially if you have kids. It is also nice to enjoy the scenery before it gets too dark. Overall, I'd say I have no regrets and only good memories about this luau.

Edmonton, Canada
“Highlight of our trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Chief's Luau was the most memorable part of our honeymoon to Hawaii!
We didn't hear about the luau before arriving to Oahu but our hotel concierge had suggested we try this brand new luau and we are very happy we did!
We loved the activities and the food was very tasty! It would be nice if they add signs of what each of the food was so I could tell people which was the best!
The chief was of course the best part of the show, he was soo funny! My hubby also go picked to do a hula with all the ladies on stage which was hilarious! Being honeymooners we also got brought on stage again for a blessing from the chief.
We really enjoyed how the luau involved many of the guests on stage and throughout the evening. It was also very intimate with under 100 guests attending.
Mahalo for the fantastic evening!

Visited November 2012