“Enjoyed every minute there!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Waimanalo Beach Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waimanalo
Waimanalo Beach Cottages
41-010 Wailea Street, Waimanalo, Oahu, HI   |
Oakdale, California
“Enjoyed every minute there!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My fiance and I wanted to take a babymoon and just relax before all the hustle and bustle of a newborn. After looking at vacation rentals on Oahu, I settled on this one as it was off the beaten path and seemed tranquil. Boy was I right!
I had been in cotact witht he owner Andrea via email on several occasions prior to arriving. I had many questions and a few requests. All were met with a quick response and an Aloha. She was very helpful in providing information and also provided us with beach chairs and a cooler for our stay. I was even able to have a package of Sherri's Berrie's delivered there for my fiance's birthday.
The cottage was easy to get to from the airport and very close to many eateries and stores. We shopped at a Safeway in Kailua after we arrived and picked up everything we wanted for the week. The kitchen in the cottage is very well equipped with dinnerware, pans, toaster, blender, rice cooker, coffee maker. My only suggestion would be to take your own foil as there is no pan for the oven (I made pizza) and sandwich bags for snacks and such. Paper towels, dish soap, and salt and pepper were there at the cottage. I brought my own sponge to wash dishes also. The fridge is full sized and I was able to stock it well with a weeks worth of groceries.
We rented Cottage #1 and were not disapointed. From the window next to the bed, you can see the ocean and I spent many mornings reading while the sun came up. Very peaceful. We also left the window cracked at night and the sounds of the waves was very nice. I miss that!
From the cottage you walk out to the parking lot and a walk past the house next to the cottages and the walkway to the beach is right there. Once you see the beach and the solitude of it, you will not regret renting here. We spent several days just lounging on the beach in our chairs, on the sand and playing in the surf while listening to music. On any given day I say the most people I saw walk by us was possibly 2-3. We were never accompanied by anyone on the beach which made it even more perfect.
The town of Waimanalo was close enough for us to do the touristy thing if you want and don't mind driving about 30-45 mins. I highly recommend renting a car, that way you are not worried about time frames, etc. We went to the Arizona Memorial one day and the Dole Plantation/Sunset beach the next. We visited bakeries along the way and were always treated well. Kailua is just up the highway from the cottage and access to go watch a movie, grab a bite to eat, or window shop was simple. If you have the Yelp app it helps too. We were able to find hole in the wall eateries which were relatively inexpensive and delicious.
If you are staying on Oahu, I would recommend staying here. It is a far cry from the over-populated, somewhat dirty, hustle and bustle of Waikiki/Honolulu. If you don't mind driving, making your own pace around the island and being a bit adventurous, then this place is perfect.

Room Tip: Cottage #1 is the only studio/1 bedroom with a view of the ocean. The second story rental has a pat...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

35 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Brisbane
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I enquired with this property for a 2 night stay for myself and my wheelchair bound husband. The response I got was "Sorry 6 night minimum". We are spending a little over 2 weeks in Hawaii in August and could have easily accommodated rearrangeing our stay to do this. However, there was no "thank you for your enquiry" there was no personal interest and no sales or customer service at all. The property did not answer my question about wheelchair accessibility either. I have had to send them another email to have that question answered. There is also nothing on their website regarding a six night minimum.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We loved the cottages! They were perfect for getting our small destination wedding guests together. They were very quaint, cozy, and homey! Tommy and Greg were amazing with everything, from making sure the guests were comfortable, giving us advice on where to eat, and ensuring the wedding day went off without a hitch! Thanks for everything! We can't wait to get the photos from Tommy!!!

Room Tip: We (bride & groom) stayed in cottage 1, right by the beach... could hear the ocean every night...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Waterloo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We recently spent 4 nights here in cottage #1. The location of the cottages is hard to beat. Located right beside Waimanalo Beach, which is one of the most beautiful beaches we saw on our trip. Our little bachelor cottage had a partial view of the ocean, and suited our needs perfectly, as we really weren't there to spend much time in the cottage. We fell asleep each night to the sound of the waves crashing on the shore and had a lovely breeze coming in 24/7. Check out the videos on their website to pick your cottage. The owner Andrea was very accommodating to all of our questions when making the booking. We didn't get to meet her, but all of my interactions via phone and email were polite and friendly. The cottage was clean and stocked with the basics in terms of utensils and dishes. Lots of towels provided, as well as beach towels, which was great. It was pretty quiet while we were here, I think there were a couple other guests besides our group, but we rarely saw anyone.
Last thought - for children, the swimming is better closer to the other end of the beach, by the park. It seems to be a little less wavy over that side, and lots more beach for setting out towels, chairs etc. But we really enjoyed being on the quieter end of the beach. It felt like our private beach!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Wylie, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We recently stayed at the Waimanalo Beach Cottages for 7 days, and had a very good time. However, we did have some issues. We originally booked cottage #1 for our stay. However, a couple of days before we were to arrive, Andrea called and told us they had double-booked #1 and would we mind staying in #11 for 4 days and then moving to #1. #11 is larger and has a much better view, so this was not really a big deal (in fact, we wished we could stay in it the whole time. Our only real issue was that we had to re-pack all of our stuff in the middle of the week. The cottages are nice, but we found both the kitchens to be understocked. In #11, there were only two spoons, which wasn't a problem for us, but since it normally sleeps 4, others might have to take turns sharing. Other things missing were measuring cups, a spatula, and pitchers. We made do, but I think that this is an area that needs attention. The beach was awesome, with great views, and hardly anyone on it. We hated Waikiki because of the congestion, but there is none of that here! One other issue, which is completely out of control of the cottage owners, was there was an annual carnival in the park next door the first three nights which was VERY loud, especially the first two. It might be a good idea to schedule your vacation around the carnival!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Cruces, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We stayed at the Waimanalo Beach Cottages the week of 9 July and it was wonderful. This was our first ever visit to Hawaii and we found these beach cottages a great alternative to the mega-resort hotels of Waikiki. We, however, can’t take credit for finding this gem; our daughter and son-in-law booked this location as they were getting married on the nearby beach.

The property is conveniently located on a very nice, and less crowded, beach. The area is primarily residential so it is pretty quiet. The cottages are in pretty good shape, well appointed, and a great value. We really appreciated having the option of cooking meals in the cabin versus eating in restaurants all the time. They even have several charcoal grills for use by guests.

The location is only about 90 minutes from Honolulu and Waikiki and 15-30 minutes to Hunauma Bay and Diamond Head. The Waimanalo area an easy drive to most of the tourist activities yet is very quiet and scenic. For those in the service, the cottages are a 5 minute drive, and a 2 mile beach walk, from Bellows AFS.

There were a couple of minor inconveniences during our stay. First, not all the cottages are air conditioned. Most of the cottages orientated to take advantage of the near constant sea-breeze really don’t need air conditioning but if you are sensitive to warm and humid conditions you might want to request a unit with A/C. Second, some of the shower stalls pretty small – if you need more room to shower, ask the owners for a unit with a larger shower. Third, there are only 4 off-street parking spots but, while less convenient; parking is allowed on the street. Fourth, we did have an ant problem in our cottage. The staff was, however, very responsive in attending to the problem.

Overall, our experience was very good and we would have no problem recommending this venue to someone who wishes to from it all on the island of Oahu. A big and hearty “mahalo” to the owners and staff of the Waimanalo Beech Cottages.

Room Tip: For people more concerned with a quiet beach retreat than a resort. Try the breakfast sandwiches at...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Jeffersonville, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

My family of 4 and our in-laws have spent 10 wonderful days at Waimanalo Beach Cottages. Unfortunately, we have to depart tomorrow and we will miss it dearly. The entire process has been wonderful. Andrea made booking the reservations simple and everything was done quickly over the phone. She was always willing to answer any questions that we had, and responded to emails promptly. We arrived late on the evening of 4/7 and the lockboxes were on the doors, as promised. We found Units 8 & 10 to be cozy, clean and large enough to easily accomodate our group of 9. The next morning, Tommy (Andrea's son) offered to take us to Costco, to save us the membership fee but we didn't want to inconvenience him, so we drove into Waikiki for groceries at Wal-Mart & Sam's Club. We grilled out nearly every evening on the patio, where (4) charcoal grills are available for guests. We also made breakfast most mornings at the cottages, and ate lunch out while we were touring the island. This saved our group an enormous amount of money. The beach cottages are in the small, lazy beach town of Waimanalo. They sit in the back of a small, upscale residential neighborhood...and you can see the beach/ocean from nearly everywhere you look. Beach access is literally within 50 feet of the cottages, and what you will see when you get to the beach will leave you speechless. I have traveled extensively across the US and abroad, and this is by far the most beautiful beach that I have ever seen in my life. The sand is white/light tan, and so clean. This is a locals beach, and is basically deserted thru the week. There were many days where we didn't see but 3-4 people the entire time. It was amazing..basically like having your own private beach to enjoy. The water goes from green to light blue to dark blue...and it is simply breathtaking. You can see several small islands from the beach as well. If you have ever dreamed of visiting Oahu, then I encourage you to fulfill your dreams and do it. It is an amazing experience, and you will not be disappointed in the island or Waimanalo Beach Cottages. They are truly a hidden gem. Get away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki, and stay here. We are already planning our next visit. Mahalo again to Tommy and Andrea!

Room Tip: Units 8 and 11 are very nice
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Waimanalo Beach Cottages? Share your experiences!