“Lived up to expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hale 'Nalo Beach Rentals

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waimanalo
Hale 'Nalo Beach Rentals
You added Hale 'Nalo Beach Rentals to your Saves list
Kaulu Street, near Beach, Pob 633, Waimanalo, Oahu, HI 96795   |
Offers & Announcements
$159 (USD)
Certificate of Excellence 2014
St. John's, Newfoundland
“Lived up to expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Our six night stay at the property was consistent with expectations set by other reviews (stayed in the Zen cottage). The accommodations were perfect and the location ideal (both for the beach and for sites up and down the coast). Would strongly advise a stay here if one wants to avoid the craziness and congestion of Honolulu and many of the less-attentive properties around the island.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We enjoyed our time at Herlinda's. Our room was very clean and cozy and the grounds are beautiful. I loved that we had access to a washer dryer, and kitchen supplies.
I enjoyed how quiet and restful it was here. We would stay here again in a heart beat. With hotel rooms the hallways get loud and it is hard to get good night sleep. Not the case here. I really appreciated the list of must see activities that Herlinda put together, it was very

• Stayed March 2013
Weatogue, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I had the wonderful experience of staying at Hale 'Nalo in January after a busy conference in Honolulu. I couldn't stay on Oahu long, but wanted a few days of rest and relaxation near the beach. Everything was perfect at Hale 'Nalo. My accommodations were lovely and the garden spectacular. I loved hearing the birds in the morning and that I was only steps away from the most gorgeous beach ever imagined. I cannot thank Herlinda (and Sophie) enough for the warm hospitality. I hope to come back soon and bring my husband and just enjoy. Thank you, Herlinda, for a great mini-vacation. Liz

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I recently spent 9 night in Oahu, Hawaii. We decided to split our trip with 4 night in Waikiki and 5 nights in Waimanalo. We were advised that Waikiki was very busy and decided to spend the later part of our vacation in a more secluded area of Oahu and Hale Nalo made it happen! HN is located on the east shore (the windy side) and allows for a reasonable drive to enjoy the North Shore but is close enough to hit some sights near Waikiki if youre interested. We highly recommend the HN for its great location to so many hikes and the best beaches in Oahu. A fifty yard walk off the property puts you on a near secluded beach with amazingly soft sand and clean calm water.

The residence is very clean and has all the amenities for staying in a few nights and cooking. Entire room and informal lobby was crisp and inviting. They have a few books in the lobby that helped plan a few adventures and learn some Oahu history. Hanauma Bay is very close and just grab a snorkel and fins that are just outside your room lobby. A 5 minute drive gets you to Makapua Lookout for an easy hike and beautiful sunrise which we enjoyed twice! Herlinda was very helpful and accommodating during every interaction. She also allowed us to check in a bit late after our adventure up the north shore took longer than expected(Hawaii time right?). The washer and dryer were perfect and made our light packing no problem. As young travelers we rarely stay in the same place twice but we would definitely consider the HN again.

Security is always on my mind when traveling and having a fenced in parking area made us feel very safe.

If you have back problems or you are a sensitive sleeper the mattress may not be for you.

Give HN a shot and you will enjoy your stay!

• Stayed February 2013
Williamsburg, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Here we are awaiting our departure from Honolulu. We regret having to leave, but before I go, I just have to share the following! My husband and I just spent five glorious nights here! This was our first visit to Hawaii. After spending five days in Waikiki, we looked forward to the quiet simplicity of Waimanalo. From the moment Herlinda greeted us at the gate, we knew our stay at Hale Nalo in the Zen treehouse would be all we hoped it would be! As other reviews have mentioned, it was pure bliss waking up to the sounds of the ocean and the melodious birds outside of our windows. We found the Zen to be exactly what we wanted - perfectly appointed, spotless, and spacious. With palms and guava trees off one lanai, and the mountains off the other, we felt as though we were truly in our very own treehouse - isolated from the world! We applaud Herlinda's approach to keep Hale Nalo as a quiet retreat. In talking to other guests we met during our stay, we all agreed that her emphasis on trying to keep Hale Nalo as tranquil and as low traffic as possible, creates the atmosphere we were all looking for! I cannot speak for the other rooms, but the kitchen facilities in the treehouse were ideal for self-catering many of our own meals. This made our get away even more low key to where we didn't have to leave our "nest" for a full day or two. The beach is a mere hundred yards away so the surf lulled us to sleep each night....
What makes this all work so perfectly well is Herlinda's warm and hospitable personality! Her attention to detail left us wanting for nothing! We cannot wait for our next visit to Hale Nalo and to see Herlinda!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I loved staying here! It was the perfect antidote to Waikiki! Our room was more spacious and airy feeling than expected, impeccably clean and just steps from a beautiful beach. We could hear the surf at night and birdsong by day and loved looking out onto the sweet gardens. Herlinda is a great host and her recommendations (especially breakfast!!) were spot on. This part of oahu's windward coast has a great vibe and we thoroughly enjoyed our entire stay! Mahalo!

• Stayed February 2013
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

My husband had business that took him to Honolulu. We are a couple who hates crowds, love to visit the quiet areas of any vacation spot we go, and live and eat with the locals. We love to stay away from the hubbub. The plan was for my husband to make the trip and I would join him for a portion of it. We had rented VRBO in the past and looked to do so again. We came across what appeared to be too good to be true: The Zen Treehouse. Although a bit concerned about the drive from the Zen to Honolulu on a daily basis for my husband's work, we felt it was worth it. And it most certainly was. The drive actually ended being less than a typical daily drive from our home just outside Tampa into downtown Tampa. It took only 20-30 minutes of easy driving to cross the mountain on Pali Highway into downtown Honolulu..

The Zen is located within a very quiet neighborhood, only a few minutes’ walk from the beach. The kitchen, living area and bedroom of the Zen are all open to each other. High, wood-beamed ceilings and wood floors thoughtout. Windows on all four sides. Through these windows drifts the constant lullaby of the ocean, breezes and birds. There is plenty of space for relaxing in the living area. There is a flat screen television on the wall and a DVD player with a small but really good library of movies. The kitchen is well equipped and separates itself from the living area by a dine-at bar. There is a bowl of fresh fruit to greet you upon your arrival. Two balconies. One off the kitchen that has a grill. The other off the living area. The enclosed bath is perfect and has a wonderful open shower with rainfall shower head. The bedroom has a screened partition that separates this room from the living area. The king size bed is heaven. Not too soft and not hard at all. My husband is awful with beds. He complains about his back constantly and he has to have just the right bed to rest. Usually very, very firm. He was amazed that during his 11 night stay, he never had a back ache and just loved the bed. The bedding was wonderful. All keeping you in that feeling of Zen. The first night I was there, I laid in bed and thought, wow... no air conditioning, no stale air being moved around by ceiling fans, this is real fresh air sweeping across me! And the sounds of nature to soothe.

Herlinda is a wonderful hostess. She lives on the property and is always just a phone call away. Yes, there are house rules, but we wouldn’t want it any other way. It’s these rules that make this property desirable for folks like us. Herlinda will provide you with recommendations of places to dine and the best places to visit. And for those who are taking a romantic vacation, Herlinda performs weddings! After 32 years of marriage, my husband surprised me with a wedding ceremony in the rear gardens of the property, with Herlinda delivering our vow renewals. Perfect!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hale 'Nalo Beach Rentals? Share your experiences!