“Come on I Waimanalo” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hale 'Nalo Beach Rentals

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waimanalo
Hale 'Nalo Beach Rentals
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wasilla, Alaska
“Come on I Waimanalo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

My husband and I recently returned to Alaska after staying in a Garden Suite at Hale Nalo. . .I am ready to go back! We had a very pleasant stay and would highly recommend it for a relaxing Hawaiian getaway. Our purpose of travel was for a rather large wedding on Waimanalo beach. The location was absolutely perfect for the event and out of all the other rentals at which our friends stayed, we definitely had the best accommodations. Hotels in the area are obviously not an option and I am not at all a fan of B & B's so I was somewhat skeptical of Hale Nalo since we knew there would be multiple guests. Fortunately we felt very private, safe, and comfortable. The Garden Suite was every bit as lovely as pictured online. As a self-proclaimed bona fide "clean freak" I was relieved to find the suite spotlessly clean. Herlinda is extremely organized and her emails prior to our arrival with logistical information as well as the binder in our room with adventure recommendations was greatly appreciated. She greeted us upon arrival and quickly showed us our room. She was available for questions as needed but was completely unobtrusive. The other guests were very quiet and respectful. My only gripe is that the wall between the two garden suites is rather thin. Fortunately noises (i.e. neighbors with sleep apnea) are easily drowned out by the calming sound of the ocean at night and happy tropical birds in the morning. All in all we had a delightful time and are eager to return someday in the future! Thanks for everything Herlinda!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Lacey, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

After picking up my rental car and following the instructions sent to me to find Hale 'Nalo Beach Rentals, I was soon at the Inn and settled in my garden room. I was surprised at the spacious size of the suite and the spa-like elegance. There was a small kitchen which I used only to cut my papaya and other fruit and to make tea. Waking up to the sounds of birds and lush tropical breezes was the best daily greeting anyone can have. The beach is of true coral sand of pinkish-tan just a couple minutes down the lane then it reaches east and west for over three miles. It seemed almost isolated with only a few groups of friendly people along my treks and a wonderful place to watch the sunset as I waded through the waves washing over the sand. After each daily adventure, I returned to my lovely suite at Hale 'Nalo Inn for a quiet rest and felt as if i'd come home. I spent seven days at the Inn and was never disappointed. My trip then changed as I moved for a week on the Big Isle at the Royal Kona Resort. Though it was lovely, I truly missed my garden suite at Hale 'Nalo everyday I was there. Aloha

Room Tip: I had the first garden suite as you come into the lobby and found it to be very quiet. It had a TV w...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

Looking at the website photos, reading the description and considering
the price we were expecting a private secluded, self contained space.

What we found was a bedroom in a house with a thin common wall to the other guests so that everyone knows what's going on. The
"Foyer" was actually a common room adjoining the bedrooms and your door is paper
thin to that room too. We did not feel much privacy here to enjoy an 'adult vacation'.

The bathroom was standard (shower over bath), gardens are nice, beds are nice and the beach is close but to us, the garden suites felt like an upmarket hostel rather than something special.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
HaleNalo, Owner at Hale 'Nalo Beach Rentals, responded to this review, November 10, 2014
We appreciate this feedback, however, additional information is in order. Our two Garden Suites do not adjoin our home; they do, however, share a wall which is not sound "proof”, making these suites best suited for those seeking peace and quiet, day and night. For those wanting more privacy, we recommend the ZEN Treehouse; for those seeking enough privacy for an "adult vacation", we recommend a hotel penthouse. (Re: our doors , they are made of heavy steel and are fire-rated.)

Upon arrival, the reviewer was confused and upset with his girlfriend, and disappointed, as he thought she’d reserved a "private secluded cottage”. The ZEN Treehouse was offered but declined based on price. We regret this reviewers' disappointment, but we truly did our best to accommodate him last minute and within his budget. HN
D.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

Just returned from 14 nights spent in Zen Treehouse and I can honestly say that this place was simply amazing. This was our 7th trip to Hawaii and we wanted to stay away from the hustle and bustle of Honolulu. As a bit of background, people have told me that I am a bit 'tough' when it comes to places I stay while on vacation... I think the exact term was 'princess' but I digress... I consider anything under club level at Westin to be roughing it and camping. Now that we have got that out of the way, I can say that the Zen Treehouse exceeded our expectations of vacation rentals in Hawaii and it was, by far, our favorite place to stay in Hawaii.

After a really easy reservation process, Herlinda (the hostess/owner), sends you an email that gives you the basics. It has very easy to follow directions to the unit, where the grocery stores are on the way, where to park and the check in process... made it all stress free and a breeze. Upon arrival, Herlinda came out to personally welcome us. A very nice touch. She gave us a quick 2 minute tour/intro and offered to answer any questions that we had. We were in our room in less than 3 minutes after arrival which was the easiest check-in process ever!

What you really want to know about is the rental so here we go... The Zen Treehouse is absolutely amazing and a real stunner. It's a great size and so much bigger/better than what you can get for that price down in Waikiki. It's big (900 sq ft) and very nicely decorated/furnished. There are hardwood floors throughout the unit, granite countertops in the kitchen, travertine countertops in the bathroom and slate floors on the bath floor. This is not your typical rental where the owner put in marginal stuff for fear of being ruined... no expense was spared in this rental. There is a full sized stainless steel fridge/freezer with water/ice in the door. There is a induction hot plate and stainless steel cooking pots. There is a extra large stainless steel toaster oven that easily fit our Amy's Organics frozen pizza. There is a coffee maker, bean grinder, smoothie blender and rice cooker. There is an iPod docking station/radio. There is a flat screen TV with DVD player and a library of DVDs. The bed is plush top and so very nice to sleep in. The towels are thick and fluffy. All plates, cups, mugs, silverware, etc is provided. Seriously, no expense was spared when this place was designed, built and furnished. There was even organic lavender shampoo provided in the shower! You can tell that a lot of thought was put into the comfort of the guest and the little details that make all the difference. I was/am truly impressed (and remember, I'm considered a 'princess' when I travel so that says a lot!). While there was no A/C, none was needed as the trade winds cooled the unit so much that I had to put on a sweatshirt most nights! My husband and I kept saying that we felt like we were at home and loved just hanging out there.

The unit is located an easy 30-45 second walk to one of the most beautiful beaches in the world (not just me saying that either... Islands Magazine said so too!) At night, you can hear the ocean from this unit and during the day you hear all of the birds singing... so peaceful. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and attract so many different kinds of birds and butterflies that it's a pleasure just to sit on one of two balconies and watch them fly around.

On our last day, we also got a chance to see the Garden Suites. I can honestly say that I would not hesitate to stay in either one of those units. While Zen is upstairs and located in the center, the Garden Suites are on the ground level and in the rear. Basically, they are located in the middle of the garden (hence the name Garden Suites). They are very nice. They are not as large as Zen but still very, very nice and a good size. Each unit has a large bathroom and a kitchenette with granite, a sink, small fridge (still a good size), toaster oven, microwave, coffee grinder, coffee maker and induction hotplate. There is a corner table with two stools for eating and a table with chairs outside in the garden if you want to 'get out' and be one with nature. For the amount of one of these units, you would not get anything nearly as nice in Waikiki.

Herlinda herself is amazing. She is always available if you have questions about the beach or places to eat or if you need anything. Having said that, she is not intrusive in any way. I dislike B&B's because I feel too 'suffocated' when someone wants to constantly chat. That being said, the big hotels in Waikiki make you feel like an anonymous number. Herlinda is the perfect hostess where she is there when you need to find her but never intrusive and gives you room to enjoy your vacation. She was so very nice that she even baked us a plate of peanut butter cookies!

As you can tell, I can go on and on and on about this place. I have travelled from Egypt to Indonesia to Fiji to Brazil and everywhere in between... I can honestly say that this is one of my favorite places to stay in the entire World. When we return to Hawaii for our 8th trip, there is no doubt that I will return to Hale Nalo.

Manitoba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Like others I did alot of research into where to stay in Oahu. When I stumbled upon Hale Nalo ihere, all I read were great comments. Well, I am I not going to disappoint you here. We booked the Zen Tree house for 5 nights, and every time we came back from an excursion, it felt like coming home.
There was balconies on both sides of the building depending on if you want sun. Herlinda was fantastic and being there for any questions but also gave you your space when needed. Sofie was our "adopted" dog for the week, and we even went out and bought a box of dog cookies for her. I swear she was smiling every time she saw us. (Dont worry, if you are not a dog lover, Sofie has her own yard, and I did not hear her bark once!) Just like others, her recommendations were bang on, and did do most of them, including where to eat. We were not disappointed on any of them. Yes, you need a car, if you really want to see the Island you will need to rent a car, I also suggest a GPS. Loved waking up and having the KONA coffee, and fresh fruit that she put out for us.

Room Tip: Get the Zen room
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Mission Viejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

We stayed at Hale Nalo for eight nights in the Mauka Garden Suite. We really enjoyed the close proximity to the best beach ever (Waimanalo). The room had a very comfortable bed, good bathroom, small kitchen area, and a little table in the corner where we set up our laptop. We spent a lot of time sitting outside in the nice garden. The location of Hale Nalo is terrific. We were able to drive around and see all that the island has to offer. Herlinda is a great host! She gave us a lot of information on restaurants and places to go. We would definitely stay here again. What a great place! :)

Room Tip: The Zen Treehouse! We would stay there, but still loved our garden suite!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

We just returned from a week in Zen. My new wife and I had planned our wedding and honeymoon in Oahu for a year. We took our time looking for the perfect place to stay. After narrowing down the area we found Hale Nalo and read the great description written by the care taker and other reviews we found written by guests. We felt it sounded like a perfect fit for us and exactly what we were looking for. We had high expectations and wanted everything to be perfect for our big day.
After spending a week on the other side of the island we were thrilled to find Hale Nalo in a lovely and quite neighborhood. Upon opening the private and secluded gate we enter a very nice courtyard with ample parking. After that you find a nice lobby and shared beach supplies that saved us money on rental fees. The provided check-in procedures were very easy to follow and allowed us to start our vacation immediately. Even before arriving I felt like I knew exactly what we were getting into and we were never disappointed.
The Zen tree house is amazing and well worth the cost and probably a lot more after comparing other options on the island. We felt very private and secure and were able to enjoy our time as we wanted. The other guests on the property were all respectful of each other and you barley knew anyone else was around. This is truly a piece of paradise and a wonderful glimpse into the real island life not found in a hotel on Waikiki beach. The beach is very close and it is beautiful. So beautiful we were married right down the way from the house. We visited all sides of the island and felt lucky that the best beach on the island is right out the door of where we were staying.
I could go on for pages and repeat all the great things others have said but it is not needed. This is a wonderful gem in paradise. The pictures you see are accurate and you feel like you are stepping in to a magazine. We have nothing bad to say and consider ourselves very picky and hard to please at times.
If you are fortunate enough to have a conversation with Herlinda consider yourself lucky. We feel that we have made a friend for life and felt privileged to have her share in our special day. She was extremely accommodating and helpful and only added to our wonderful experience. She provides a wonderful service and has great recommendations of things on the island. We can't wait to return to paradise and our new friend.

Room Tip: The Zen treehouse is the best around!!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hale 'Nalo Beach Rentals? Share your experiences!