“Dolphin Swim Adventure” 3 of 5 stars

Activities: Swimming with dolphins
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Sea Life Park, Hawaii's marine life comes alive in a dazzling display that will entertain and delight visitors. Located just 15 miles from Waikiki, on Oahu's beautiful and scenic Makapuu Point, Sea Life Park is a world-class marine attraction perched between the majestic Koolau Mountain Range and breathtaking Makapuu Beach. See dolphins swim, sea lions sing, and penguins perform in this magical place by the sea.
4 attraction reviews
“Dolphin Swim Adventure”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We went to sea life park for the dolphin swim adventure. Although it was expensive, the dolphin experience was very cool. We were in the water about 30 minutes with our group of four plus four other people. We got to kiss the dolphin, pet the dolphin, and then be pulled by the dolphin who was swimming upside down. That part was cool. Watching them swim under water with masks was kind of boring.

The rest of the park was okay. The penguins were funny and we enjoyed watching the turtles get cleaned. But parts of the park seemed a little neglected.

If you want to touch dolphins in a controlled environment, I would recommend sea life park.

Visited October 2012

Belfast, United Kingdom
32 attraction reviews
“Loved this”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I have read some other reviews and yes you dont get to spend much time with the dolphin yourself, but it is still an amazing experience. How often do you get to get that close to a dolphin? I loved every bit of the time we had, and the park is small there isnt alot of stuff to do if you only paid for one thing. If you havent paid for anything else you can walk around see the other animals and watch other peoples experiences. It didnt seen all that busy when we were there so i dont know what it is like on the weekend but we went on a week day which was better, wasnt over crowded, kids screaming everywhere and no pushing people out of the way to see anything. In all i think it was an amazing day, i really enjoyed it and would most definitely do it again. Staff were friendly, helpful (even when people didnt listen to what they were suppost to do) and very enthusiastic in there work. Great people, great day.

Visited August 2012
El Paso, Texas
6 attraction reviews
“Expensive for experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I know everyone wants the chance to swim with a dolphin, but do not expect a long interaction with them. It is very controlled on how long you spend time with the animals. I like the sea lion interaction much more than the dolphin. Your stay in times, and you really do not get to enjoy park as you would like. You can miss some of the shows due to conflicting times with animal interactions. Park is not big at all. If you really want to spend the 250-300 dollars, I would suggest you take a dolphin snorkeling adventure instead.

Visited October 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 attraction reviews
“A fun day excursion, good place for children and families”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

My husband took me here as a surprise on my honeymoon so we could enjoy the Dolphin Swim. I enjoyed touring Sea Life Park and getting to enjoy the wildlife, however I think some areas of the park need improvement for the comfort of the animals. I agree with at least one reviewer who mentioned that the sea turtle habitat appears FAR too small for comfort. Near the shark tank there are also a couple of babies in their own tanks and they barely have room to turn around. Very sad. However I admire the wild bird sanctuary and the girl who worked there seemed to genuinely care for the birds and their well-being and was happy to talk to us and answer our questions. These were wild critters who are no longer able to survive in the wild and they now have a safe haven. The sting ray tank seems decent and the rays seem comfortable and healthy. I don't know the mental fortitude of a sting ray but they seemed to enjoy human interraction and the girls in charge of the snorkling experience were very gentle and protective of them.

As far as the Dolphin Encounter, it was an unforgettable experience. I don't know what to think of dolphins in captivity who are performing tricks for food (especially after reading about the former Flipper trainer's memoirs and watching The Cove). However I asked a lot of questions to the staff about the well-being of the dolphins. I believe all were born in captivity and you can tell they recognize the trainers and their body language suggests they are fond of the humans they work with every day. It can't be all that great living in concrete tanks 24/7 so the performances and interractions might be a form of play for them and somewhat stimulating. I was told the dolphins don't perform if they don't want to and they are not forced. They cycle through performances so anyone who doesn't feel like playing with strange humans that day simply goes to the other tank and they bring in another dolphin to take his/her place. These dolphins at least seem happier than others in captivity. The staff members seem to truly care.

Lastly, I wished that there had been a first aid area or more health items available for purchase. I got very sick to my stomach and every other shop I went to in Oahu had Tums or Pepto Bismal or something to buy in the gift shop but not this place. I just had to wait it out.

Visited September 2012
Sacramento, CA
5 attraction reviews
“Fun place for kids”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

My family is a big fan of sea creatures. Although this doesn't feature any "exotic" animals, save for the wholphin, it was still pretty fun. We enjoyed the shows, especially the dolphin show. We were able to take advantage of their discount so we paid half price for the family which wasn't bad. I have to say that this place is recommended for smaller kids (10 and under). Older kids may get a bit bored.

Visited September 2012