“Total Rip Off” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Patrick's Diving Adventures

Patrick's Diving Adventures
85-491 Farrington Hwy, Waianae, Oahu, HI 96792 (Formerly Pearl Harbor Divers)
+1 808-589-2177
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 16 Activities in Waianae
Type: Tours, Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Patrick' Diving Adventures is a small, independently owned, full-service SCUBA diving company located on the beautiful Waianae coast of Oahu, Hawaii, providing diver training, dive tours, equipment sales & service and rentals.Dive on sunken WWII-era ships, aircraft and tanks! If you want a truly unique scuba experience when scuba diving oahu, come and see us! Our mission is to provide divers with the ultimate personalized experience, whether they are taking classes, purchasing gear or going on an underwater tour. We don't want to be the biggest, but we do want to be the best!
Harrisburg, North Carolina
8 attraction reviews
“Total Rip Off”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

This company might offer great scuba diving trips, but the “2 hour snorkeling eco-tour trip” is a TOTAL RIP OFF. I purchased a Groupon for my family of 4 (total of $189) back in April and made a reservation for June. I inquired about transportation from my hotel to the diving store (because it mentions nowhere about needing your own transportation) and the service man told me that I would need to provide my own transportation to the store that morning (which was fine), but he failed to mention that not only do you need transportation to the store, but YOU NEED TRASPORTATION to the actual snorkeling site which is 45 MINUTES FROM THE STORE on the west side of the island. In addition, I had to pay tax on my Groupon. I have never had to pay tax before; the Groupon price has always included tax. My family and I were able to see an abundance of different types of fish, but our “guide” did not guide us anywhere. Although she was super nice, she basically just snorkeled with us. She only pointed out a starfish. She did not give us a “30–45-minute shore lesson on the area’s history,” and nor did she talked to us about the various fish we encountered. In addition we only snorkeled for about an hour. We later found out that you can rent snorkel equipment from this company or other companies for about $15/person for the entire day. I do not know if all the snorkeling trips are like this or it was just because it was a “groupon.” Overall, the trip was just a total disappointment. I would recommend renting snorkel equipment for the day and snorkeling at Hanauma Bay, which is on the southeast side of the island and only about 20minutes from the Waikiki resort area.

Visited June 2013
PHDivers, Owner at Patrick's Diving Adventures, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
I am so sorry you didn't feel we gave you your money's worth for a private guided tour. The sales tax has to be paid at our location because Groupon doesn't collect it when they sell you the coupon.

Apparently the Groupon people also didn't print the details about the need for a vehicle on the coupon. But things have very recently changed in that regard: We are now having people meet at our shop and then we are taking them in our vehicle to the snorkel site. So if you come back to Oahu in the future, please contact us and we will take you snorkeling again for the same price you paid for the Groupon and transport you from our shop to the snorkel site and back in our vehicle.

Please accept my apologies - thank you for your valuable feedback.

-Patrick

Waipahu, Hawaii
“Diving the Abyss”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I’ve wanted to take this dive since I first heard about it. Just to claim the bragging rights, you dove “The Abyss”, is too cool to pass up. I’m 55, female, and dive probably once or twice every 6 months for the past 6 years. But that’s okay. I can rely on Pearl Harbor’s staff to help me in and out of the ocean with their professional, knowledgeable staff.
Bring your brightest flashlight for best viewing. The crew attaches you to a line that allows you to swim freely or just dangle in the current. Relax and watch all the luminescent, iridescent, and indescribable creatures flow past you. All sizes, uniquely beautiful. My favorite was the pulsating lights in a bell shaped one. I felt like a kid waving my flippers in the dark and scattering the plankton that flashed like fireflies.
It’s one tank and it was divine. I was in for 1:40 minutes. The sunset was stunning, the water warm, and the trades brisk, everything I love about Hawaii. Warm up with hot chili and rice and view the stars and Waianae coast on the ride back. Utterly enchanting. Too bad hubby can’t dive. It would have been so romantic.
Thanks to Lucy, dive instructor, and Don, Coast Guard Captain for such a wonderful dive. Their attitude just allows you to sit back, enjoy, and let them do the work.
I have never been disappointed on a dive or dive classes from Pearl Harbor Divers. Ever. I guess I’ll have to go again, because I still need the T-shirt!

Visited June 2013
PHDivers, Owner at Patrick's Diving Adventures, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for the fantastic review. Your kind words are very much appreciated! Lacey said she had a wonderful time with you and the others on the dive and is looking forward to taking you out again!
Seattle, Washington
“Unforgettable Night Dive and Rescue Certification!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

PHD was single handedly responsible for making my Hawaii spring break trip so memorable. It started off with the Abyss dive where I got to see stuff I'd never seen before.. glowy, floaty, pulsing, beautiful, slightly strange, luminescent things floating to the surface. I also retched a couple of times on the rocky seas so maybe that also contributed to the memories. Haha.

The second part was doing my Rescue certification with Patrick! Patrick isn't interested in just passing students so that he can earn their business -- no -- he will make sure that you learn the stuff well, and can properly react in an emergency situation. It was tough work, but I managed to get the certification! Had a little 'party' afterwards :)

I highly recommend PHD. This is Patrick's own business and he has great quality control going on. You won't be disappointed diving with them!

Visited March 2013
PHDivers, Owner at Patrick's Diving Adventures, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Aloha Anthea! Mahalo for the review! Am very glad you enjoyed your experiences with us. You did a great job in your rescue course - hope I wasn't too hard on you ;-)

Let me know when you plan to visit Oahu again and we can show you some more of our underwater paradise!

Makaha
“Easter Egg Hunting PHD style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

First inaugural Ester Egg Dive was great!
Mahalo to Rachel and Lacey for come up with it.
We had a blast and are looking forward to the second annual Easter Egg Dive!

Visited March 2013
PHDivers, Owner at Patrick's Diving Adventures, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Aloha! Glad you enjoyed the Easter Egg hunt on Sunday. I know Rachel, Lacey, Sydnie and Mike had a great time with you and the others. Am looking forward to seeing you when you come to the shop to redeem your prize coupons!

Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
“Top Notch Dive Shop/Experiences”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

If you are interested in having the absolute best diving experiences along with the most courteous, knowledgeable staff and Instructors, there is no reason to look any further than Pearl Harbor Divers. As a resident of the Islands, I have had the opportunity to dive with many different groups and shops. NOT ONE OF THEM delivers the personal attention and extensive knowledge that Pearl Harbor Divers does. You might find a better price at other shops, especially those that cater to the military, but, that doesn't mean that you are getting the best equipment (or service after the sale) for your money. Patrick (Owner) will not be undersold for comparable equipment, even internet pricing, because he truly cares about what you are buying and not just the sale. Every Instructor is extremely knowledgeable and will go out of their way to make sure that you are taken care of. If you truly want to experience "Ohana", this is the only shop in town.

Visited March 2013
Thank you, thank you, thank you! It is really nice to hear that we're doing a good job. As always please let us know if there is anything we can do to improve your experience with us.