“THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hawaii’s oldest and largest soaring operation, Original Glider Rides has been operating tours at Dillingham Airfield since 1970. Soaring the skies over northwest Oahu, panoramic vistas unfold as your pilot guides you in this bubble-topped aircraft. You’ll be in awe as you fly on the wings of the wind with sights and sensations you’ve never experienced before. A 20-minute flight can attain altitudes of 3,000 ft. or more. Single passengers can kick it up a notch with specialized add-on flight services like aerobatic loop-d-loops and Eagle mini-lessons.
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 attraction reviews
“THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The best experience I ever had in many years was when I piloted a soaring glider through the skies recently. I was awarded my glider wings when I was in Maryknoll Civil Air Patrol Group. I also completed my private pilot license in 2001, which enabled me to fly dual engine small aircrafts. Flying high above the ground is not only a thrill, but a way of life for me. It brings me closer to the Creator, and allows me to glide with the wings of Angels.

Visited March 2012

yyc
25 attraction reviews
“If you're on Oahu this is a must do activity!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We have travelled to Oahu 5 times but this was our first experience with glider rides. We just called ahead and made a booking for later in the day. It was about a 45 minute drive from Ko Olina where we were staying. Adults and kids were paired up and we all loved the 15-20 minute ride. It was such a peaceful, beautiful feeling to be soaring above beautiful Oahu. We felt safe and secure at all times and the pilots did a great job pointing out the sights. You may even get lucky and see a whale!

Well worth the cost!

Visited December 2012
Woodinville, WA
19 attraction reviews
“Amazing views amazing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

When on Oahu in early November with friends, we did many activities. The glider ride was definitely the highlight and most unique of all. It is very professional. I was not scared and it is not scary. The pilot is in the back seat talking to you the whole way. He gets a feel on how you are doing, You don't use headsets because there is no roar of an engine. Just peaceful, quiet gliding over the beautiful mountains and ocean below.

Visited November 2012
SEATTLE
21 attraction reviews
“Tall Don is the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

I am a powered-airplane pilot who wanted some glider time in one of the most beautiful locations for it: North Shore, Oahu. These folks are professional yet fun, organized yet casual. I flew with "Tall Don," who is indeed tall, even barefoot (he flew barefoot! :-). Fantastic ride, can't beat the views, and Don is a patient instructor (I should know: I'm an instructor too!)

Best of all, out of an already great experience: we were having so much fun playing in the thermals that Don extended my ride for about another 10-14 minutes! (Free of charge, of course) in fact, we came down only because his "office" telephoned to tell him to get back down! Someone with that many flight hours who still wants to play in the air-that's just great.

Take a glider ride. You won't be disappointed!!

Dartmouth, N.S. Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Fly Like an Eagle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My first morning in Hawaii I got up and headed to Dillingham to soar. I'd booked a 30 minute sight seeing tour as I was over the weight limit for the acrobatic flight. For some reason they're apprehensive about flying 360 degree loops with the equivalent of a human refrigerator aboard the sailplane. Go figure.

That being said, it was an incredible experience riding thermals like a freight elevator up the side of the beautiful and ancient Waianae mountains. My pilot was Big Don who was an engaging conversationalist and he was very accommodating when I asked if we could do some minor maneuvers. Basically, we'd stall where he'd pitch the nose up and bleed off airspeed until we stopped, then slide backwards, point the nose straight down and bank on the wingtip at the bottom of the dive. At the top of the stall, negative four g's and at the bottom of the dive we'd be pulling six g's. To say it was exhilarating is to play it down. It wasn't my first experience with this maneuver so no change of underwear was required.

The scenery was stunning, overlooking the North Shore and the mountains. The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful and the experience was well worth the money.

I did make a video of the experience and posted in on Youtube to the tune of The Neville Brothers version of Fly Like an Eagle. It's not the best quality, but you get a sense of the experience. You can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuCRUY78fiM

Visited September 2012