“Fly Like an Eagle” 5 of 5 stars

More attraction details
Attraction Details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hawaii’s oldest and largest soaring operation, Original Glider Rides has been operating tours at Dillingham Airfield since 1970. Soaring the skies over northwest Oahu, panoramic vistas unfold as your pilot guides you in this bubble-topped aircraft. You’ll be in awe as you fly on the wings of the wind with sights and sensations you’ve never experienced before. A 20-minute flight can attain altitudes of 3,000 ft. or more. Single passengers can kick it up a notch with specialized add-on flight services like aerobatic loop-d-loops and Eagle mini-lessons.
Dartmouth, N.S. Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Fly Like an Eagle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My first morning in Hawaii I got up and headed to Dillingham to soar. I'd booked a 30 minute sight seeing tour as I was over the weight limit for the acrobatic flight. For some reason they're apprehensive about flying 360 degree loops with the equivalent of a human refrigerator aboard the sailplane. Go figure.

That being said, it was an incredible experience riding thermals like a freight elevator up the side of the beautiful and ancient Waianae mountains. My pilot was Big Don who was an engaging conversationalist and he was very accommodating when I asked if we could do some minor maneuvers. Basically, we'd stall where he'd pitch the nose up and bleed off airspeed until we stopped, then slide backwards, point the nose straight down and bank on the wingtip at the bottom of the dive. At the top of the stall, negative four g's and at the bottom of the dive we'd be pulling six g's. To say it was exhilarating is to play it down. It wasn't my first experience with this maneuver so no change of underwear was required.

The scenery was stunning, overlooking the North Shore and the mountains. The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful and the experience was well worth the money.

I did make a video of the experience and posted in on Youtube to the tune of The Neville Brothers version of Fly Like an Eagle. It's not the best quality, but you get a sense of the experience. You can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuCRUY78fiM

Visited September 2012

Fort Worth, Texas
21 attraction reviews
“What an adrenalin rush!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I went with David on a 15 minute [seemed alot longer] aerobatic glider ride and loved every minute of it! Smooth takeoff and landing and in between...WOW, nothing like loops and wingovers to get your heart pumping [took me 2 hours to come off my high]. David was great, talking me through every maneuver while keeping things light with jokes and pointing out sites. The flight was not in anyway violent or jolting and the loops were not as bad as most of the roller coasters I have been on, so don't let anything stop you from doing this FANTASTIC flight. My total cost was $162 and was worth every penny.

Visited October 2012
Clearwater, Florida
13 attraction reviews
“GLIDER RIDE, GREAT EXPERIENCE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

on a cruise. coordinated over the internet with bill starr and called him the day before at 808-677-3404. was picked up at aloha tower and driven to dillingham airfield, about 45 minutes from the ship. lee was the driver who picked me up and brought me back. lots of info on the ride back and forth. really nice people. no pressure to buy anything. you decide what you want to do. price was very reasonable. if this trip was sold by the cruise line it would be double what they charged. a good value and a great way to spend 1/2 a day

Visited March 2012
Colorado
25 attraction reviews
“Fun times”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

great thing to do off the beaten path.

Kinda scary but fun! The staff and employees are great and professional. Awesome views of the north shore and away from all chaos and hubbub of Honolulu.

Do it and have a blast!

Visited September 2011
BritishColumbia, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“You have not experienced flight until you have flown without an engine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

Thanks to Mr. Bill and his staff the flight was everything we thought it would be. The ground crew and pilot were friendly and told us all sorts of interesting facts about the island and gliding. We were in the air for about 30 min catching the ever present winds on the windward mountain slope. Take-off and landing was as smooth as silk we even saw a turtle as we were on our final approach over the water. We never felt air sick no violent manoeuvres or anything, its like a car ride in the sky.

Visited May 2011