“amazing!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
South Jersey/Philadelphia
“amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

delicious, amazing, creative cuisine. Top-notch but not a stuffy pretentious restaurant. Drinks were great too. We did have some service issues, basically waitress not fully aware of the menu and provided wrong info, but probably rarity.

Visited January 2013

86% Recommend
Tucson
“Best of the West”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Quick stop extended into a long and enjoyable meal. We were checking out the disney and marriott for future visits, when we saw the Monkeypod kitchen. We had been to the one on Maui.
This was even better. The food and drink were much more reasonable than the resorts across the street and the atmosphere was even more aloha. Had fresh fish and fruits with salads and deserts. Large beer selection and great bartenders.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Jamestown, North Dakota
“Good for a change and reasonable.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We were disappointed in Aulani's restaurants so it was nice to have this so close. It had a fun atmosphere and the menu was very kid friendly.

Visited August 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
“Average Food, Very Noisy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Monkeypod is conveniently located across from the JW Marriott & Disney's Aulani Resort, which is nice if you don't want to venture outside of the Ko Olina Resort. Both their lunch & dinner menus offer a nice assortment of reasonably priced appetizers, sandwiches, burgers, pizza, and fish entrees. I really liked that they are focused on local produce, organic & sustainable farming, ranching & fishing practices.

My sweetheart & I shared a Margherita Pizza ($15.95), which was good, but not great. Service was average, but hopefully has improved, since this location had only been open 4 months, when we visited. Our least favorite thing about Monkeypod was the noise level. We dined on the patio, which was slightly better than the noise level inside, but conversation was still difficult. Fortunately, we were finished before the live music kicked off.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Honolulu
“Getting better...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I've been here twice with my second experience better than the first, which I can only chalk up to growing pains.

1st time: Entrees are pricey, $35 and up, but my fish was unevenly cooked and others in my party had small things we couldn't help but notice like wilted produce on the burger. I can go to Roy's and get perfectly executed fish for $28 dollars down the street at any time. The kitchen took a while to get food out, too. The brussel sprouts were superb.

2nd time: Kitchen took even longer to get food out, but our server was extremely genial. We commented to ourselves that she came to check on us almost too frequently, but I think that was only made stark to us because the kitchen took a long time...still though, she was cool.

The food was better prepared but I thought the execution on a couple things was still not where it should have been, and i question some of the combinations...like wasabi mashed potatoes with a delicately flavored fish, but what do I know. Once again, though, the brussel sprouts were superb...be sure to get them EVEN IF you don't like brussel sprouts...they will turn you.

The cocktails were absolutely first-rate...better than the food in concept and execution IMHO. I'd come back to this place for drinks and pupus but maybe not for a full blown dinner again, unless I heard things changed (or somebody else is paying) or entrees drop to the $20-something range.

I hope they do well and get better as i admire their loco-vore philosophy. At any rate, it's nice to know it's there as that side of the island has few options.

• Visited September 2013