“Lots of aloha here” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kapolei
Sydney, Australia
“Lots of aloha here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Was put off at first - it all seemed a bit over the the top - like a Disneyland version of Hawaii, with man made lagoons, vegas style fountains, Starbucks, etc. And timeshare sales staff at the 'aloha desk' ambushed us right after checking in.

But after settling in, really came to like the place. Best condos I have stayed in anywhere. Great walking, running track along the impeccably maintained gardens and lagoons. Decent snorkeling.
Great staff with lots of Aloha like Roy at the resort info desk - hard to find a nicer guy anywhere.

Easy access to the North Shore, about 45 mins drive. Target and Safeway only 10 minute drive.

Room Tip: We reserved 'ocean front' and expected ocean views, but that turned out to mean just 'fa...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Saint Johns, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We arrived from a flight from the big island which was awesome. We got to Ko Olina to find our room of the work area and walls after booking a beach view for over 4 months. We talked to Randy the manager and said he could not fix until the next day. We lost another day waiting for a room change. I work for a large customer service company and the service was unacceptable. I would encourage anyone not to stay here only if you want screaming kids like Disney World which is next door. Sorry for the bad review but I've been in management for a long time and this resort is mismanaged.

Room Tip: Please go to to the Big Island!
Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

we were offered a very good rate for this hotel if we were willing to sit thru a timeshare presentation. our kids live there so we said okay. promised a room with a mountain view, it was a parking lot view. the building was the farthest from everything. room was fine, very small. supposed to have a kitchenette. it was a dorm frig and a microwave. parking was extra and very expensive. went on the timeshare tour and the rooms were amazing. If you really want me to consider buying something then put me in a room like the one I would be buying not a tiny box with no amenities. told them we weren't interested but made us sit there for a long time and then came back and said you can go. big newspaper article when we got back that they were getting out of the timeshare business.. Interesting. Property is very pretty, well kept up and inviting. just really felt like we didn't belong to the club.

Room Tip: ask for a room near the pool and beach or you will do a lot of walking!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was my first stay in Hawaii. The rooms are amazing! If you are lucky enough to have an ocean view room it is spectacular! They have awesome pools with a cave and a water slide. It was so much fun. There is a hot tub overlooking one of the lagoons. I would find that one early and watch the sunset. We were there in January and it still seemed like the hot tubs would be filled up so we started getting there early.

This was by far the prettiest resort we saw while we were there and we felt lucky enough to stay there.

We would highly recommend this resort!

We were there on a timeshare so we didn't have housekeeping every day and so forth. But we were still treated very well.

Room Tip: Ocean View Room!!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Recent stay April 2013 for 1 week. I'm not an owner of the Marriott, so I was treated as such. Owners can park in the lot attached to their guest tower. I had to park two buildings over for self park or valet every day. I was placed in the older tower, and when I requested the newest tower I was told it was reserved for those who own Marriott timeshare. Other little nuances of not being a owner, but not worth the time to mention. So here's my thoughts on the property.

Inside:
1. Room decor is old, needs updating. Front desk claimed there isn't a difference in the newest tower. So decor maybe the same but at least it's not as old in years, showing as much wear and tear. Either way new decor is definitely needed.
2. Studio guest rooms do not have a microwave only a sink and dorm fridge.
3. washer & dryer are not in the studio guest rooms, only supplied in the 1 & 2 bedrooms units.
4. Bathroom is small with tub shower combo.
5. Had to call and ask for a luggage rack. Was delivered fast, but was old and rusty.
6. The iron was disgusting. Black & white particles coming out as I ironed. Decided to find a cleaners in town to press clothes.
7. Bed too firm for me and the sheets are poor quality, felt rough. Had to wear nylon and silk pjs to feel comfortable.
Outside:
1. Pools do not have a ocean view whether you are lounging in or out of the pools.
Pool next to newer tower has better music, better service and surroundings out of all three pools.
2. Jacuzzi spas are nice. You do not have to get out & reset like most other properties.
3. There are plenty lounge chairs on the sand in front of the lagoon for use. No charge.
4. The lobby is nice and the restaurant patio dining is great.
5. Long Boards has outdoor seating only with nice lagoon/ocean view. The breakfast is mediocre. Don't order the breakfast buffet its lousy, not much to choose from, and nothing tastes fresh except the fruit. Order off the menu, at least whatever you order will be made fresh. Enjoyed offsite breakfast much more. (Koa Pancake House close by; Boots & Kimo on Winward side of island)
6. The Market Place onsite store/deli has few items prepared fresh. Most items are pre-packaged. Good for quick little purchases of water, chips, Advil, etc. If you have children, they do serve hot dogs and chili.
7. Location: last property at the end of hotel row in Ko Olina.

So if you plan to spend all your time outside, and want to be in Ko Olina, then I guess it's ok, depending on the rate you're quoted. I stayed at the JW Marriott and I prefer their guest rooms restaurants, and location. The pool is not great. It's an older property. See other review for more info.

Dining nearby: Roy's and Monkey Pod were great!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Oro Valley, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We visited Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club in April 2013. My husband and I stayed for a week and absolutely loved it. I think this would be a wonderful place for a family vacation, it's just the two of us...so I would also recommend it for couples! There isn't much nearby, but the resort had so many amenities to offer, so there was plenty to do. The resort has it's very own beach lagoon, which was amazing. We spent time at the beach during the day, walked the beach in the evening and then cooked dinner and brought it down to the beach to eat. AMAZING! It was by far the most peaceful, relaxing vacation I have been on. I also wanted to mention that we really loved Longboard's (the cute beachside grill located on the property). It got some harsh reviews...so I wanted to defend it a bit. The food is good (we ate there several times, had burgers, sandwiches, salads, etc. and thought they were great). It IS expensive (this was the main criticism of past reviews)...but we are staying at a Marriott, eating dinner next to the ocean...why would it not be expensive? Honestly, for the view and the friendly service, I think it was worth it. They do have happy hour, just FYI :) If you plan on visiting Ko Olina, make sure you have a rental car...as you will drive into town for activities. But if you wanted to stay on the beach everyday and never leave, this resort certainly has everything you would need to have a FABULOUS vacation!

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

As a time share owner, I look forward to staying at the beach Club every other year. The pools are located nearby each building; the lagoons are safe with rentals available. We have a two bedroom suite, but locked off the second bedroom on our last visit. With a suite you have a full kitchen and an in-room washer and dryer. We have a Mountain View suite; we would rather be outside than I our room looking at the scenery. With the kitchen, we were able to have our breakfasts and lunches in-room. Since our first stop is Costco, it would be easy to BBQ a prime rib eye every night on the provided gas grills; the hotel staff has always been helpful and friendly. The only drawback is the lack or a decent restaurant on the property; But Azul and Monkey Pod is a shot walk. Also be careful at the intersection where the JW is located. It can be very dangerous. Four way stop signs or a traffic light should be erected.

Room Tip: We have never had a bad room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club? Share your experiences!