“Great resort, attention to detail needs work.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rewards Members Save 35%
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Kapolei
Detroit, Michigan
“Great resort, attention to detail needs work.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Just finished up a 4 night stay at this perfectly located resort. 30-40 min outside of Honolulu, this ocean side resort is close enough to the action but far enough away to unwind.

We used Marriott rewards points for two nights and cash for the 2nd two. Rate was OK, but the studio sized room was very small. I believe the Marriott Vacation Club owners have much nicer, Vila accommodation choices.

Great soft sand, lagoon beach. Wonderful jogging path that runs between 4 different lagoons and resorts.

Only two restaurants on property. We ate at Longboards and enjoyed our breakfast and lunch.

They give you this silly discount card that Everyone has, but that they make you show at all the locations to get between 5-10% off. Dumb.

On our last night, we packed up and planned on a nice relaxing soak in the hot tub. After 5 minutes we were kicked out at 10:15pm by the pool police. The info given to us at the front desk clearly states that the pools were open until 11pm. Apparently our info was wrong. This really spoiled our last night in Hawaii.

Also, watch out for the fact that Valet, doesn't open until 7am. If you need to get your car early, to get to Honolulu, don't get stuck.

Overall, it's a nice place.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cypress, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Had a two bedroom villa. Slept 7 adults and two infants. They provided pack n plays and high chairs. Very clean. Nice beach. Good staff. Would go Again. Just further from downtown but day tripable. We shipped at Costco and walmart to cook and drink

San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Our family had another excellent stay! The only thing that I would change is the kitchen appliances. I cook a lot in the room and the oven could not heat up properly. The fridge was old and tired and Popsicles would melt in the freezer. Other than that the room was great, clean, and quiet.

Room Tip: Always ask for pool view!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Let's start with the good:
Gorgeous property, took my breath away when I stepped out of the car. (That's about where the good ends.)

The bad:
We are Marriott vacation club owners that tried to book our first vacation. No surprise, they were full.

So we paid cash out of pocket to fulfill our vacation plans.

Since we are now cash customers we got to list all of our preferences online, which I thought was really nice, if we had gotten a single one of them! I asked for either two of the three towers, didn't get either, stuck with the "worst" tower, asked for a room away from the elevator(room closest to the elevator) requested foam pillows(received feather), requested pack and play online and at check in, took two further calls to get delivered after my baby had already fallen asleep, woke him to transfer. (also, a staff member Ben called a few days before our trip to confirm our preferences...major fail)

Check in- 2 staff members allocated for a check in that seems to take forever. (I was assuming to tell the guests all of the details/amenities. I was only 4th in line and took 30 minutes for me to check in while my family waited in the car as per staff instruction because we didn't know which tower we were assigned at the time to park. I was basically handed a pack of papers and that was about it, what could possibly take so long?

Finally made it to check in and realized we received nothing that we requested, was told no other available rooms of my type available.

Concierge though very nice, severely understaffed. The ladies were so busy returning missed messages takes forever to answer a simple question or pick up tickets from previously booked shows.

Maid service - costs money! Only a tidy service is provided, which would be fine if we were on the "time share" type plan, but I am a cash paying customer in a Marriott hotel. (that is much more expensive than most) I find it unacceptable that with the beach an pool and other outdoor chicories, bed linens are not changed regularly, unless you pay.

Food: longboards- great view, average food, way overpriced. Also, very long wait for us.

Smoking areas- by the lagoon pool are awful to walk by with young children and the breeze, just awful.
*smoking could be smelled while sitting on our balcony also, terrible and ruined our outdoor experience. (though it clearly states no smoking on the balcony, I know they cannot control guests who choose to break the rules)

Towel cards are a hassle in my opinion. I hate varying and worrying about extra stuff like that. Also, wristbands... Seriously? Are we in club med?

Lagoon- is gorgeous, but very crowded, get there early during peak season.

I suggest renting a car(super cheap) to get off property and get some decent food at affordable prices. (Costco and target and an organic food store, one exit up to stock your mini fridge.)

The kids club-was severely disappointing. I have busted several kids clubs where kids 4 and up can do activities in the club for free all day(with only a few activities costing money) basically it was a free babysitting service with indoor plays capes. This room was a few craft tables set up where parents had to be present, Terrible. Very few activities for my daughter, so sad.

We did partake in the Fia Fia show, the food was average, too crowded for my taste, lines for food were ridiculous. Also, the price was very high, we couldn't see anything from our table(was told no seat was bad, that couldn't be further from the truth). I had to stand on the outskirts to view the show. It was good but extremely long for my family(with two kids) 4:30-5:30 were games, we arrives at 5 and waited in a long line to "check in", given shell Leis and drink coupons. 5:30-8:30 was the show with the fire dancers last.(best part, though there was almost a fire accident when one dancer lost control of his flaming baton and flew into one of the front row tables.) the chief was funny, but too much audience participation made it drag on seemingly endlessly, we almost left early several times, due to boredom... But my oldest wanted to see the fire dancers.

All in all, beautiful location and so much potential, but truly more of a unserviceable vacation club, in my opinion. Wish they had more amenities (lazy river, more slides, kayaks etc)

• Stayed March 2013
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care Manager at Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
We are dissapointed to hear about your experience at Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club. This is not typical of the service you expect and deserve from Marriott. Please contact us at customer.care@vacationclub.com or via phone at 800 860 9384 so that we may personally respond to your concerns. We look forward to hearing from you.
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We had stayed at this property back in 2009 and decided to return for our anniversary. We weren't disappointed at all. The staff were still friendly and helpful, and always had a smile and welcome for us. We stayed in a one bedroom villa with a wonderful ocean view. The room was lovely and clean and everything was there that we needed (except a bottle opener - but we bought one while at the supermarket). It was a lot busier this time around, but it didn't seem a problem. We had beautiful sunsets on most nights that we were there. We also saw whales passing (I managed to get a photo on the last night :)
Paying for parking is disappointing, but there's not much you can do about it unfortunately. We chose to valet park because we thought "Why not?" :) We never had to wait long for the boys to bring our car to us.
We ate at Longboards a few nights and also at Roys. We took the shuttle to Roys and walked back (it didn't take too long, and it was nice to walk off the beautiful meal). The food at Roys was amazing!

I agree with other reviewers that this definitely isn't the place to stay for older teenagers or those in their twenties, but for anyone who is happy to relax away from the crowds of Waikiki, the this is the place to do it.
You definitely need a car - and we made sure we used it :) We went to the North Shore, east coast, down past Diamond Head, Pearl Harbour. The traffic has definitely got worse since we were there last, and it is hard to work out the best time to travel. But definitely avoid going into Waikiki in peak hour. We left the resort to go to the airport at 6.30am on a Wednesday and it took us one hour, so make sure you allow for this.
We would love to return one day.

Room Tip: If you like a bathtub in your room, make sure you check that it has one. Apparently some don't...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lafayette, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We enjoyed our first visit to Ko Olina! The morning and evening walks around the property were glorious. The flowers were varied in color. The views were beautiful from every direction. We could watch the waves and sit on the rocks; we could float in the lagoon; we could walk around the area and see lovely sunsets. Our one bedroom was comfortable~with refrigerator to store our local fruits and a microwave to heat up restaurant left-overs. The coffee maker came in handy. We are returning to the fun in the sun and the local food again in May!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Booked a two bedroom villa using Marriott points. Hotel was very proactive and called me at least twice before my arrival to set the expectation that the resort was not a typical Marriott and normal Platinum benefits didn't apply. They did honor my requests for a high floor and a room in the new tower. Even with a non-ocean view we had a great view of the harbor and the ocean was visible from the main balcony.

The astronomical parking charges are the one rip off at the hotel. I paid more for six days of self parking than I did for my rental car. It's is not as if the hotel is in the middle of the city and parking is scarce.

The resort itself is stunning. The pools, water slide, and lagoons were a huge hit with the family. Can't speak for the food at the restaurants as we ate out or used the kitchen for all of our meals, but the bartenders at Longboards were very friendly and the reverse happy hour was a nice addition. The grills were great for and stocked with all the needed utensils. If you are going to grill, get down early as they fill up quickly. On the flip side, if they are taken just bring a beer or glass of wine along and make friends with the other vacationers.

As a Marriott points hoarder, I couldn't resist the offer to sit through the time share presentation for the point bonus. The sales staff was very nice but at this stage in my life it makes more sense for me to use my hefty Reward Point's balance before making an investment. The Vacation Club is probably a good deal if collecting regular Marriott points isn't an option. The good news is that it was a no pressure experience.

This is not a complaint about the hotel rather a heads up to those who seek adventure in Waikiki and the North Shore; the drive to Waikiki in traffic is not fun. Early morning weekdays can take over an hour or more. They are doing ongoing construction on the H1 and nightly lane closures are not uncommon.

Check out time was 10am, a little too early for me but understandable as they have to clean the room for the next guests and condo type rooms take longer to ready than a typical room. They do distribute day keys for the pool and bathrooms and they will store all luggage if you are taking a red eye flight home.

Overall a great resort in a stunning location. Four stars because of the parking. It's highway robbery. I felt completely ripped off.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club? Share your experiences!