“Beautiful Property...but NO elite benefits” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rewards Members Save 35%
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Kapolei
Dallas, Texas
“Beautiful Property...but NO elite benefits”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

As many of the other reviews have already mentioned, this property is beautiful with plenty of amenities. It has a great "Hawaii" feel to it! It was alot less busy than the nights we spent on Waikiki Beach. Several lagoon options and 3 different pools. There is also a small store to buy souvenirs and a little groceries if needed. Great for kids and families! There is a shopping center within 5-10 miles of the property that has a Walmart, Costco, Target, etc. This is great if you want to avoid going out to eat every meal. We booked a 2 bedroom villa, which came with 2 king beds, 2 bathrooms, a small kitchen, and a living room (with a fold out bed in the couch). Plenty of room for our family of 5.

My only compliant (although a major one) with this property is that there is virtually no recognition/benefits for elite members. I had seen this in other reviews, and now I wish that I had stayed at their other property down the road (JW Marriott). I have Gold status with Marriott (which isn't a huge accomplishment, I know), but unfortunately this meant nothing at this property. Not that I'm an elitist and feel that every stay that I have with Marriott needs to provide every single benefit as a elite member, but this property did not fulfill any of my simple requests. Early check-in? nope. Upgrades available? nope. Switch to oceanview room? nope. Late check-out? nope. It was as if this wasn't even a Marriott property, and the staff's response was pretty rude with the requests. "We never let anyone stay past 11am". The worst part about it is we booked a "mountain view" room, which turned out to be a "parking garage" view. I wasn't even able to see the sky from our room...just a bunch of cars. Nice job, Marriott, on taking care of your most loyal customers. Next time, I'll be booking down the street.

Room Tip: Watch out for "mountain view" rooms...it could turn out to be a "parking garage"...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
MVCI_Executive, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
We are disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay at Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club. The resort is not a typical hotel experience and provides guests with many additional amenities, services, activities and luxury villa accommodations. While a typical hotel check-in is at 4 pm and check-out at noon, cleaning a 2-bedroom/2 bathroom villa with a full kitchen requires additional time to ensure each unit is cleaned to the highest Marriott standards. Please contact our Customer Care office via email at Customer.Care@vacationclub.com or at 800-860-9384 so that we can personally address your concerns.

1,692 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ontario, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The resort is very nice. Great pools, beach, gym etc... Nice big rooms, but the housekeeping service is below par. They do not clean the bathrooms daily, replenish any of the amenities such as soap and shampoo. The linens are not Marriott qulaity. Pillows were horrible.

The service was average, resturant staff was nice but hotel staff was so so.

Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was probably my worst Marriott experience worldwide. I read reviews ahead of time and I am kicking myself for not heeding the post of another Marriott elite patron who said they had nearly 1000 nights. (I have 400 nights) You will not get upgraded at this resort if it saved your life. Single beds occur in every room - not 1 room in the entire hotel has 2 actual beds. If you need 2 beds for kids, etc it is loathsome uncomfortable sofa pull outs, again, even suites only have 1 actual bed. 3 of 5 nights I had to close my window due to cigarette smoke-front desk did nothing. Finally, the front desk relocated us to a much lower floor and offered a $50 credit. Room soaps and shampoo are the absolute cheapest in the entire Marriott chain. Linens are not changed daily. Again, if you are Marriott Elite other advisors and my advice ... JW :).

Room Tip: If you are Platinum elite with Marriott - do not stay here, do not stay here, do not stay here. JW...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

We have been owner's since KoOlina opened. This year 22 members of our family visited and stayed in all 3 buildings. Our grandkids really loved the place - more than I ever expected.

My daugther and her family were originally going to stay with us, but she chose to get her own unit. She was in Building 3 and had a corner unit overlooking the Pacific. They loved the water slide, and the lava pools. Now she even looked into purchasing her own unit.

My son and his family loved the place also, and snorkeled most every beach around O'ahu. They were on the go all of the time.

Great place for families. Oh by the way. Don't pass up the FiaFia night. It is really a great, great time.

Mahalo

Portland, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We just got back from a 10 night stay at the Ko Olina Beach Club. We had a two bedroom unit with ocean view. My wife and I brought our two kids, ages 3 and 1 as well as her parents (for occasional babysitting!) We did not eat at the restaurants on property, opting instead to make a trip to Costco and use the grills on-site. We had intended to do this from the start and packed spices, which saved money and gave us great dinners for reasonable prices!

Our 3 year old daughter LOVED the pools and the lagoon, as well as the beach. She got a kick of "swimming with fishes" in the lagoon. She can't fully swim so she was wearing a life jacket, but it was nice to let her swim in the ocean without worrying about huge waves or current making it dangerous for her. She also loved the sandy bottom pool where she could rotate between swimming and playing in the sand. Our son, 16 months, liked this pool as well. He was able to walk around in it just fine and liked the "volcano" fountains off to each side. Both kids also loved the various hot tubs.

Our room was exactly what we expected. I was actually surprised at how comfortable the pull out bed was that my daughter slept on. Granted I didn't actually sleep on it, but I did lay on it for a test and it was much softer and higher quality than I expected from previous pull-out bed experiences.

The resort has great activities for the kids as well. We were only able to attend a few of them, but our daughter enjoyed the big bubbles on the lawn outside of our building, as well as the koi fish feeding. We also watched the Fia Fia preview on Monday and it was very entertaining, although we decided not to attend the full event the next evening.

For a family vacation this was the perfect place to be. We did a trip to Waikiki and another to the North Shore with the entire group, but found the actual ocean is just too much for our kids in this young stage of their life. So those days turned into strictly beach play. The pools and lagoon at the resort were perfect for them. We're already trying to plan our trip back in a few years!

Room Tip: Not a room tip, but if you plan on grilling pack your favorite spices from home! It saves you money...
British Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 5 nights in a one bedroom unit with an ocean view. The room was spacious and included a washer/dryer. The only noise I heard in the room were the birds around 6 am but I was okay with that. There are three pools at the resort: one is a quiet pool, another is a gradual entry pool with fake sand (caution, it's hard on your feet after a bit but kids don't seem to mind) and the other half is a regular pool, and my favourite pool is the one with waterfalls and a waterside. However my favourite place to be was the beach/lagoon. I would recommend renting a cabana chair as there is no shade on the beach. The Disney Resort is a short walk on the beach away and is fun to check out. My only complaint is that if you want to go anywhere you need a car. There is no shuttle to this resort and if you want to do a tour like Polynesian Cultural Centre they only offer transportation once a week. For the most part this was not a big deal for us. If you do have a car a target is a short distance away to pick up groceries. Or take a cab as its not a huge distance away. This was one of my favourite resorts of all the places I have stayed.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Kapaa, Hawaii
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We have stayed in this area in the past and it is a beautiful area. We have stayed in the Marriott Hotel several times no complaints! This was our second time at the Beach Club, the first time everything was at least acceptable if you were very tolerant .This the second time service was undeniably crappy, the people with few exceptions were rude or out to lunch at every level of service other than housekeeping which done a good job. WHAT leaves an especially bad taste in your mouth is this is a VERY expensive property that attempts to find ways to charge you even more and that is somewhat acceptable when the experience is superior this wasn’t a superior experience. The worst was the supposed $150 meal credit they so generously proclaim to give you IT IS THE RIP OFF THE CENTURY. First of all its very unclear that all the restaurant’s in the property don’t participate their reasoning/explanation is well it’s in the fine print , Come on Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club HOW Many people go on vacation to a resort to read the fine print about a supposed free meal credit!! Of course they got very defensive about this as they have to know it’s VERY MISLEADING and makes people angry when they find out they have eat on the property because of the meal credit and now it comes out of their pocket not a meal credit. It’s a beautiful area but stay there with caution and read every detail and personally I would choose the Marriott Hotel and forget the Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club .

Room Tip: ASK for a room away from elevator exits they are very noisy ,and ask a lot of detailed questions as...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club? Share your experiences!