“Sisters Weekend - amazing stay” 4 of 5 stars

$50 Daily Credit
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Kapolei
GreenLeadersGold level
Yorba Linda, California
“Sisters Weekend - amazing stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

My sister and I stayed at the JW a few weekends ago for her birthday (June 13-15th) and we had an amazing time. We went to spa on Friday, checking in early so we could use the private pool area, then go in the roman bath & cold plunge pool prior to our fantastic massages. There was a special on massages for $105 custom or $110 Lomi-Lomi...what a deal for a top notch spa! Saturday I got her a cabana on beach and I booked this deal where you spend $100 but you get a $75 food/beverage credit. That too is a great deal as having the cabana's protection from the sun is so worth it and with how expensive lunch/drinks are, we were probably going to spend $75 anyway. Sunday, I hit the gym which is okay and then we lounged around before checking out.

The grounds here are gorgeous and if you are a jogger, you should definitely ask for a jogging map. And if you do interval training, I recommend skipping the gym and finding the grassy area facing the ocean (kitty corner to the lagoon and just when you come out of the pool area). There were folks doing burpees, sit ups, core exercises etc out there and what a gorgeous place to work out.

So why was this very good and not a 5-star excellent stay? Well there were some things that could have been improved:
**BUGS: We had to get the room sprayed b/c we had ants and even after we did that, we were still finding them. I know it's Hawaii, but I stayed at the Kahala earlier in the week and we had no ant problem there.
**Check-in experience: I completely understand that our room wasn't ready when we arrived, however when it was ready, there was a huge line, and I was supposed to wait in line...AGAIN....to get my room keys. Called back the person who called me to let me know our room was ready and they sent someone out, but it was an intern...so process took longer than if I had waited in-line. On a side note: where is the Elite or Gold/Platinum check in? I actually saw the carpet rolled out during a "slower time" but during peak check in, where was it?
**Spa amenities: Needle shower which is my sister's fave amenity was closed down:(
**Hot tub: This was also closed on Saturday night (it was roped off)...super big bummer
**Cabana service: Our server was so nice but she was either too busy or had to big of a section b/c we constantly had to ask someone to get her.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We stay 7 days at the JW Marriott, the last week of May 2014. The walking path that spans 4 lagoons and several resorts is great for running, power walking or strolling each day! The in-resort restaurants serve excellent food, except the room service pizza. With a resort of this caliber expect to pay higher prices.

Our maid service was exceptional very fast and polite. The front desk is formal and not a very chatty bunch. They were very hospitable but rather stiff and non-engaging.

The location is quite and peaceful. The rooms are very plush. The pool is clean and inviting. If you desire a quite island get away this is a go to resort.

Room Tip: The rooms are all tastefully done. Ocean view is a must.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Katy, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

My wife and I visited this establishment on our 1st trip to Hawaii in August/September 2011. We booked 4 nights at the JW Marriott Ihilani Resort and it was unforgettable. I've liked this hotel so much that I've recommended it to two other couples that have honeymooned here. It is definitely far away from Waikiki and Honolulu which was great because I wanted to be alone and in peace and quiet. We were there the day that the Disney Aulani resort had a soft opening which was Labor Day weekend.

The rooms were updated, fresh, and had very large balconies. They upgraded us to an ocean view due to elite Marriott status. It is the greatest room service I've ever had at a hotel which are normally poor in flavor and quantity of food. We ordered some coconut shrimp that actually came in a coconut.

The pool was the only downside of the resort as it was tiny in comparison to most pools. I did enjoy a nice pina colada inside a frozen pineapple at the bar sitting next to the bonnet head shark pool. The salt water ponds are great and have a diverse fish stock in them to see. I really love how the place lights up the tiki torches using a propane/natural gas network through the property. The location to the lagoons that are shared by Marriott Grand Vacation Club and Disney are not an issue.

My wife and I loved everything about this place as we've travelled to many exotic places around the world. My wife still says to this day that this is her favorite hotel she's ever stayed at.

Room Tip: Ensure that you get the ocean view and watch the most beautiful sunsets you've ever seen.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Pomona, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We have been to Oahu several times and this place is hands down one of the most beautiful hotels. The four lagoons make this place extra special (see pictures). The views from our rooms were better than anticipated. We've stayed here a couple of times and each and every time it exceeds our expectation.If you dislike crowds (like Waikiki) this is the ideal serene place to stay.

Room Tip: spend a little extra and get an ocean view room it'll be worth it
Green Features: request bed sheets and towels changed every other day instead of daily
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Pros - Location; Food at "terrace" and Italian restaurant - compliments to the Chefs; Concierge - Naomi was very knowledgeable of the area, had great suggestions, and arranged scuba diving trips.

Cons - to many to list, so, Ill provide the highlights below.

1. While excising staff provides very good customer service, the hotel is SEVERELY understaffed. This resulted in significant delay in addressing and fulfilling guests requests (phone, food, concierge) .

2. Italian restaurant - beware! it is not affiliated with hotel.The friends of the owner are seated ahead of the hotel guests. Overall, the hotel guests are unwelcomed in this establishment.

3. Pool bar - food is inedible - especially burger and fish tacos.

4. Management - I raised food service concerns to the Hotel Food Service manager, and was offered me 25% discount off for one dinner, to which I was already entitled - being a "gold" Marriott member. Thank you for nothing :)

5. Management - during our stay, the management attempted to do "preventive pest control" in the hotel. While I was given an opportunity to opt out, this required me to contact front desk and experience more delays (please see Cons #1).

6. Management - Hotel is being run on a "skeleton crew" - as such, please see Cons # 1-5.

Room Tip: Ocean view - west side
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
JW_Marriott_Ihilani, Manager at JW Marriott Ihilani Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you for your comments. We apologize for the unsatisfactory experience with delayed responses to resolve issues. We reviewed your feedback with the staff. We have also informed the Italian restaurant owners to treat each guest with prompt attention. To address the food quality, the culinary team has redesigned menus at the Pool Bar & Grill and menus are near completion. The popular dishes are being kept. The team has created new flavors and culinary presentations that we hope you return to enjoy. We are conscious of staffing levels and have increased manpower especially during the popular periods.
Thank you as well for the positive recognition of the staff - Naomi / Concierge, Front Desk, Chef / Cooks that supported your visit with positive solutions. We hope you return and give us a second chance to enjoy the resort as a Gold Member deserves. The team would be honored to serve you.
san diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I checked in for a quick stay on June 4th. The service by all the staff was exceptional. I quickly got to my room and went out to explore the properties grounds. They are immaculate. I quickly found my way to the Secret beach wich is just outside the property perimeter. There is a sign that states you are leaving the pproperty what an amazing place. The property is next Door to Aulani resort a disney property. They share the same beach cove. There is a lot of activities to particcipate in without the touristy feel of the Wakikki Strip. Certainly a great place to stay. I only had one issue wich i addressed with the front office agent. certainly worth a stay. make certain to ask for a room on a high floor facing the water.

Room Tip: Make certian to request high floor facing the cove you get a great view of everythign the weddings o...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Kailua, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My husband and I stayed at your hotel the weekend of May 30th, This is our second stay, we live here on Oahu and staying at the Ihilani feels like we are on vacation, Our grandchildren came for the day and enjoyed the beach and lagoon, and of course the hotel grounds, the sharks and stingrays was a hit with my 3 yr old grandson, when we checked in our key would not work, your employee at the front desk was so helpful and apologetic someone was there in 2 min to help open the door, they were not able to fix the problem after trying for about an hour different workers were coming and going, eventually they moved us to a different room, it was even nicer than the first which i didn't think possible. Thank you for all your help. Our 30th wedding anniversary is coming up in August, were suppose to go to the mainland, but were considering celebrating at the Ihilani instead.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to JW Marriott Ihilani Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!