“Fantastic Property! Hope to visit again!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ihilani Resort & Spa at Ko Olina

You added Ihilani Resort & Spa at Ko Olina to your Saves list
Ihilani Resort & Spa at Ko Olina
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   92-1001 Olani Street, Kapolei, Oahu, HI 96707 (Formerly Marriott Ihilani)   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Kapolei
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Brooklyn, NY
“Fantastic Property! Hope to visit again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Apologies for the older review! but wanted to share my experience..
(Visited April 2008)

Stayed here for my cousin's wedding and I really loved this property.. It was my first time on O'ahu....and we had come up from 6days in Waikiki..... so this was a welcomed respite from the crowds and shopping.

Check in was smooth.....and our room was lovely... large balcony looking over the ponds/garden....immaculate room....large bathroom.....had a great soaking in their tub.....and room service was perfect... had an awesome breakfast on the balcony with my girls...that I still dream about.....my macadamia waffle was so light and delicious..hmm.....

Only stayed here for 2 days.. so I really didn't get to explore the property as much as I liked to....but the pool area was small/medium....staff offers you scented/cool towels for your refreshment.....nice touch... the private lagoons were gorgeous....and were not crowded.... and the shops on the lower level were very nice to peruse.... found some great soap items...and gifts for close family there...... My friend and I became addicted to the home made choc chip cookies in the gift shop!! OMG...... we came down 2x a day for them.... look for the big glass jars in front of the cashier.. you have to try them... we even came down on our last morning..for the first batch..to take on our flight home....lol....

My cousin's wedding was perfect in every way..... it was on the grounds of the property....in the afternoon......set up was flawless....and the staff were always around to assist....we danced till 2am....and walked barefoot back up to our suites....

I will definitely visit the Ihilani on my next visit to O'ahu for a few more days...so I can really stretch out and enjoy all of their amenities.....but for now...I only have good things to say about them!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
bguiang, Manager at Ihilani Resort & Spa at Ko Olina, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Thank you for keeping us in mind, and thank goodness for our signature chocolate chip cookies. Please do not hesitate to remind us on your next visit about those delectable snacks as we would be delighted to reminisce with you. A lot has changed since your last visit, so yes, please join us soon and be prepared to relax and unwind. Thank you again for sharing your wonderful experiences.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

We stayed at the JW for a week in June 2012. We read Trip Advisor reviews for months as we booked our trip and up until the date we left. Let me be the first to tell you that any complaints people have written about this hotel are just absurd! This was a beautiful hotel that set the perfect mood for a romantic getaway for two! Take advantage of local snorkeling tours, surf lessons, and luaus. There is so much to do right in the area and shuttle services are provided by each of the companies as well. Here are 10 thoughts I wanted to share with everyone to give back for the awesome advice we used before our trip. Hope you find it helpful!

1. Upon arrival we were given a complimentary upgrade to a deluxe ocean view room (much appreciated after being up for almost 24 hours) because we are platinum members.
2. Staff was super wonderful from the moment we arrived. The person who brought us our room service the night we got in was so chatty I thought we could share a drink on the balcony like girlfriends :)
3. The pool area is small but perfect for a lazy afternoon lying around poolside (anyone disappointed and looking for waterslides and multiple pools should have booked at Disney). Who wants to sit at the pool all day in Hawaii anyway? Lounge chairs are not hard to come by, they're very comfortable for an afternoon nap.
4. Restaurants were great at the hotel, yes a little pricey (not obnoxious) but excuse me, you're in Hawaii, we expected this. Don't hesitate to walk down the beach sidewalk and check out all the other hotel restaurants. We ate at the Marriott Beach Club "Longboards" place twice and Disney once.
5. Careful when going to Azul. The food menu prices aren't bad, but a GLASS of wine starts at about $25 (ask for Stuart, he's a welcome breath of humor in an otherwise stuffy environment and called me, "The Lady" multiple times making me feel more important than I actually am!)
6. I expected the Disney resport next door to be painted in neon colors, with strobe lights, and obnoxious children's music to be blasting through speakers at all times. NOT AT ALL. The resort actually blends in with the island better than the JW and is super calm. You can't even tell what's going on inside unless you actually are inside. Don't let other reviewers scare you. We went in for lunch on our last day, and as two 20-somethings, we couldn't believe the fun going on around us! Mickey and Goofy were dancing in the water with kids while parents frantically snapped pictures. Kids were screaming going down the bajillion water slides they have and the food was actually decently priced and really good! We vow to take our own future children here someday instead of Disney World! Once we walked out, we couldn't hear a thing from the outside. Everyone needs to ease up on Disney :)
7. Warning to anyone staying on the other side of the hotel that does not face Disney. We had the most AMAZING view from the 16th floor and kept our balcony open to hear the waves crashing every night. However, there were wedding receptions happening almost every night that played music loud enough for us to sing along with the lyrics and have our own dance party in the room. We didn't complain because the view was too amazing. Besides, what will they do? Ask the reception to stop? Music was done by 10:00ish each night so it didn't bother us. If you're someone who would get annoyed by this though, stay on the Disney side of the hotel.
8. Do the Paradise Cove luau. We've done one in Maui a couple of years ago and it was on the smaller side. This was about 900 people and yet, very intimate. There are many opportunities to talk with people seated around you and the food was good! There are lots of things to do ahead of time, so be sure and get there early. PLUS, as soon as you arrive someone writes your name down at a table to reserve your table spot. You go and play games and are assured your seats are saved. So worth it! (P.S. Although the cheapest package has you sitting on the sides of the stage, we had an excellent view of everything. Don't let them get you to pay the extra $30 a person for nothing!)
9. Check out the taco restaurant across the street from the JW. It's only about a 5 minute walk. It's near an ABC store too! I thought it would be a junky fast food joint and it was a cool, sit down relaxed atmosphere with reasonably priced mexican food. We ate outside and it was a nice change of pace!
10. Ko Olina offered a nice "resort" feeling. We were back and forth about staying at the JW or at the Marriott downtown in Waikiki. Turns out we made a GREAT choice with Ko Olina. We ventured to Waikiki once and it was pretty sketchy. There were homeless people all up and down the beach and on the sidewalks. Not the tropical Hawaiian vacation we had imagined. We left within a half hour and sighed with relief about our choice to stay in Ko Olina. If you're into big city atmospheres, Waikiki would be the place for you!

We had the most wonderful trip to Oahu and had high standards following a Maui trip two years ago. Marriott doesn't disappoint and really treated us well (and they should considering how many nights my husband has stayed with them.) I would highly suggest this hotel to anyone staying on the island. Thanks Marriott!

Room Tip: Stay on a high floor for an ocean view. Expect some nightly noise on the ocean side, but a small tr...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Ihilani Resort & Spa at Ko Olina, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
We were elated to hear about all your wonderful experiences. Thank you for the review and we hope to see you in the near future.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We went back here because we liked the room and all the staff were friendly. The only thing we don't approve of is the daily charge of $35 to park in the parking lot. And there were no other parking place. We tried all the restaurants in the resort and the food is very good. We feel it is even better than the food at the next door resort.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
We were honored to have you back again for another stay. Thank you for your review, we hope to see you soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Hotel was beautiful and great location. Pool is pretty boring and cold even in June . Charged us $34 a day for parking, just plan on paying about 25% more then room rate list with fees.

• Stayed June 2012
, Manager at Ihilani Resort & Spa at Ko Olina, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Thank you for your review. We hope you also enjoyed the variety of complimentary services such as snorkel gear (1 hour), morning power walk, beach workout, aqua-jog, fish feeding, lei making, internet in the lobby, and in room coffee. Thank you again.
Concord, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

If you are tired of fighting the crowds in Waikiki then head toward the other side of the island and stay here. The hotel is four star and it has everything you need to have a relaxing stay laying around the beach or pool. The rooms are nice and spacious and are nicely upgraded. If you have a garden view it is still great and costs a little less than an ocean view which, in my opinion, is overrated and not worth the additional bucks - but to each their own.

If you want to go to Waikiki just realize that traffic is a major drag during the commute hours and plan accordingly.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the compliments. We are glad that you enjoyed the spacious and well appointed guest rooms, beach front location and relaxing setting. Mahalo and a hui hou, ‘til next time.
Aiea, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

The Ihilani is my absolute favorite resort! The moment I arrived on the property, I was greeted with aloha and such welcome, I felt like I was a VIP. The doorman/valet/bellman were so very helpful and jumped to serve immediately. Eventually, I didn’t even have to tell them my name or room number to pick up my car, they knew exactly what kind of car I drove and my room number. I loved the fact that the doorman (each one of them on duty) really took an interest in making it personal…they engaged you in great conversation! Our room was clean and it was nice that our room was on the opposite side of the pool, so it was less noisy. Instead we heard the soothing water breaking on the beach. The view of the ocean, Waianae mountains and sunsets were spectacular! Our dining experience at the Naupaka Terrace and Ushio Tei was outstanding. Because of our busy schedule during the day, we ended up having late dinners and arrived at the restaurants right when they were closing. Despite our late arrival, both of these restaurants served us with excellence and we didn’t feel rushed at all. Each night the food was amazing! I am a vegan and the Naupaka Terrance created/modified entrees for my special dietary needs. The poolside wait staff was great, as was the food. Although I only had time for a pedicure at the spa, I felt like I was pampered and treated like a queen during my spa experience. I hope to experience some other spa treatments in the future.

As a resident of Hawaii, one tends to get caught up in the routine and take for granted where we live. Who needs to travel to an exotic location, when paradise is right here in our own backyard! Mahalo JW Marriott Ihilani for reminding me of just how beautiful our aina is and how special the people of Hawaii are! You made our staycation experience the best ever!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, we are honored to be your favorite hotel. Our staff enjoys personalizing your experience and getting to know you. We are glad that you appreciated the healthy menu choices in the restaurants too!
Simpsonville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

This place was fantastic! Absolutely every aspect felt good. Staff was incredibly nice and helpful. Grounds were beautiful, food was great. If I had one negative, and this is minor, it would be having to wait a couple of times for them to get our car from valet. The room was very good and had a great view of the ocean. We did have to pay extra for a mini fridge, but it was worth it and saved us money in the end because we got a lot of our drinks and snacks from the local grocery store.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Ihilani Resort & Spa at Ko Olina, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
We are honored to be your hotel choice for your 10th anniversary. Your feedback is important to improve on our service training. We are happy to know that you viewed our property as fantastic and are ecstatic that every aspect made you feel good. For your next visit, please check our virtual market pre arrival on Ihilani.com to stock your fridge prior to arrival. Thank you again, we hope to see you in the future.

Been to Ihilani Resort & Spa at Ko Olina? Share your experiences!