“Buffet is very good” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Saskatchewan, Canada
“Buffet is very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Came here twice while on vacation at Aulani. Once for the regular supper buffet which was very good. There was never anything left totally empty. The only thing I was curious about was the kids section of the buffet included most of the options from the regular menu. I would have thought there would have been different options on the buffet. Our son is just a little too old to be considered Keiki so he ordered a burger and it was huge! Even my husband said he probably wouldnt be able to finish it. After the meal was all done our waitress brought out the Keiki dessert for our daughter that came with her meal and brought one out for my son, whom she said gets one as well because he made a valiant effort on the burger. Such a nice thing to do, he felt so special.

The second time we came was for the character breakfast! Great breakfast items. It is packed full, very loud and crowded. After spending a week at the resort though we knew it would be. It was a LOT of fun, every character came and interacted with us at our table.

I didn't find the prices for either unreasonable at all. The character breakfast is expensive but your paying for the experience too so well worth it to us.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Vancouver, BC
“Worth it -- the best choice for an on-property night out.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We enjoyed a multi-generational famliy-dinner at the Makahiki restaurant. There is a choice between ala carte dining or the buffet -- there is no requirement for everyone at the table to choose the same thing. As it turned out, we all ordered the buffet, because even at over $40 a head ($43?), we felt it was an excellent value despite the initial sticker-shock (children 3-9 are $20).

After seeing the buffet filled with things like, poke, sashimi, crab legs, salmon, roast beef, beautiful ribs and desserts including individual molten lava cakes, I could see this was definitely a step above the other buffets I have had at Disney restaurants (the highly regarded Boma buffet at AKL paled in comparison). The food was actually very good -- our group of 6 loved the food, including the fussy eaters in our family.

The service was very good, and when we ordered tea everyone was given separate ceramic tea pots, individual creamers (with milk or cream as each requested) and a large assortment of some of the best organic teas. This was the 'proper' way to serve tea, and pleased my British in-laws.

We ate out on the deck, which was really atomospheric, especially as it got dark and the tiki torches were lit. The inside of the restaurant seemed like it may have been a bit noisy (lots of hard surfaces and no tablecloths) -- I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much as an outdoor table.

When we go back to Aulani I would gladly return here for a meal.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
new hampshire
“Breakfast with Mickey!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Originally I wasn’t going to do this meal as I read mixed reviews but I am glad we did. Right away you get in line for pictures with Mickey – too cute (they won’t let you add to your photo pass, they try to sell them to you at the end.) We were brought to a table in the back but the characters came around pretty quickly.

Minnie first and then Goofy. He was a riot. He came while I was in the bathroom so he came back but then my husband had gone to the bathroom – I told him that’s where he was and he made funny face like he was smelling something bad. Then he sat down and pretended to eat his breakfast and then he was holding my hands like he was my boyfriend. It was really cute and made my day.

They brought me a little birthday cake and Auntie made me dance the birthday hula which hubby took a ton of photos of! The buffet was plentiful, food was average, the pog delicious and we left with full bellies.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Dinig experience At Makahiki Restuarant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We've been to many properties of Disney. This company is far well known for it's play ground activites and atmostphere for young an old. On most of their properties, they have gone to great length in making sure even your dining experience is one to be remembered, with characters and quality of food.

Not for Aulani Disney in Hawaii Kapolei, Hawaii. Re: (Makahiki Dinner Dining) We stayed there from Saturday through new years 2012-2013. Our dining experience or the type of food served is well below the standards of Disney Resorts as a whole and what we expected. The entrees were either inexpensive or of less quality like the tough so called prime rib of beef served. Even young ones wasted them as it was to tough to chew. What a waste. the Braised Short Ribs, dry, old, hard. Noodles? My mother whose dead could have done a better job,,,, and on many dishes served. By the way. the server was totally inexperience. Serve my wife coffee, no sugar, no spoon or even asked if she needed any. Never came back to even to offer a refill. i had to go to another table and get a spoon and sugar for her. She totally had no eyes. My granddaughter ate a corn, fell asleep and we got charged for her meal. MMMMmm ????? Go there just for breakfast as you can't go wrong there.

Eat at Ama Ama or at another property like Ihilani or Roys or just across the street. Better food at a better price. You'll be satisfied.

Room Tip: All rooms above 5th floor at the property have a view.
Los Angeles, California
“Way Overpriced Average Dinner buffet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Had dinner there with family on Christmas Eve 2012 around 730pm. Was expecting a "Disney quality" buffet dinning experience as we loved the Disney Cruise. But we were a little disappointed. Food quality is just average. The selection is not that great. For $43 / adult and $21 / kids under 11, I was expecting more.

This is the second time we went to buffet at a top Disney resort during the past 18 months. What was consistent based on our experience is: over priced average food with a Disney name. We have no problem paying for good food, so it is not about pure costs. It is about what you get for the cost. Our bill for 2 adults and 2 kids were just over $150 after tip. For this amount, we know we could get a fantastic meal at Roys.

I think I am done with Disney Buffet unless it is on their cruise ships!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere