“Character Breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
va
“Character Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I ate here for the Character Breakfast one morning while staying at Aulani. At $32 per adult, the cost does seem to be a little more than you would pay for one at Disney World, but don't forget that Hawaii is more expensive. However, it was a fun breakfast and they had a program with Aunty that the kids were encouraged to participate in. Yes you can take pictures with Mickey, Minnie and Goofy, but you can also get these pictures(free of charge) during the day when they have their scheduled picture times. They also offer a photo package of your picture with Mickey that you can pay for. The cost is $30. They will bring the picture to your table later to see if you want to purchase it. There's no pressure to buy it and I originally told them no, but later during breakfast I decided to buy it as a momento of my trip to Hawaii.

The food was typical buffet food, but they had a good selection of food for those travelers that were not from the United States. You could be as adventurous as you wanted to be. Although I liked the character breakfast, I much preferred Ama Ama--the other Aulani restaurant--for breakfast and dinner.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
PA
“Small flies all over the buffet at dinner”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

We went to Makahiki for the breakfast buffet and enjoyed it. The selection was good and the price was in line with other character breakfasts in Disney World so was fine. We also went for dinner. We had planned to get the buffet but before we did we walked through the there were hundreds of flies all over every section of the buffet and on all the food. It was completely disgusting. Apparently this must be the norm because we walked through two other nights and it looked the same....flies EVERYWHERE. The staff were trying to shoo them away with these big leaves but it didn't do any good. It was the really gross. We ordered off the regular menu instead and the food was pretty bad, tasteless and overdone. It was one of our most expensive meals on the island and certainly our worst. For dinner I'd give Makahiki zero stars but since we enjoyed breakfast there I am giving two stars.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great food, great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

We visited Makahiki on Sunday of our trip and we were very excited about our brunch at the new Disney hotel. The hotel grounds are gorgeous, very well maintained. The restaurant is both indoors and outdoors. The meal was somewhat pricey, however with the amount of food and selection, it definitely made up for it. While is says online that character breakfasts are only Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays, we visited on a Tuesday and there was still a character breakfast and you will automatically have to pay the $32.

The food was a great selection of brunch food items, from Hawaiian french toast, Cinnamon apple bread pudding, fresh fruit, island rice, Aulani potatoes, and Asian food as well. There was a huge selection of delicious, fresh fruit as well as fresh fruit juice.

The servers were very attentive and courteous. The celebration with Aunty was great for all the kids as there was always participation in the songs for them. Characters made it around to the all the tables to pose for photos and meet with everyone. I would definitely recommend reservations, although if you are not staying at Aulani, they typically require you to make your reservation no more than 24 hours in advance. If you want to avoid the crowds and get to spend more time with characters, get there early when the restaurant opens at 7:00 a.m. Overall, we definitely enjoyed ourselves and would definitely recommend it.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Pretty restaurant, but far too expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

We ate at Makahiki twice: Once before everyone knew it was $43 a person, and once (immediately after) realizing this information. We had to wait for our table (despite having reservations) both times.

The first time we ate there, we were blissfully unaware of the cost (our own fault for not looking) and were consequently fairly impressed with the buffet. I am not crazy about seafood, and there was not a good range of vegetarian options so myself I wasn't thrilled, but the rest of the family loved the options and got several plates full of food. Probably only about one member of our party actually came close to eating $43 worth of food. The desserts were good, though the side, salad, and vegetable options were less than impressive.

The drinks were expensive, but not more so than elsewhere at Aulani, and the service was the expected Disney excellence.

The second time we dined there, I mentioned after being seated--but before ordering--that I didn't think I was $43 hungry and that I'd like to order off the al a carte menu. This announcement was greeted with shock and amazement. After confirming the price with the waitress, we almost all got up and walked out. But we were really quite hungry, and needed to make it to the luau that evening. So most of us ordered off the a la carte menu, with varying levels of success.

I split the farfalle pasta in basil and pesto sauce with my sister. Basil and pesto are both lovely flavorful spices. While the pasta LOOKED like it contained those things, it tasted about as flavorful as wet paint. Not at all impressive. We never went back after this experience. For the price, you might as well eat at AMA Ama.

The restaurant is very pretty, with some very interesting lighting and murals, but that's no excuse for overpriced, under-impressive food. It makes me a little sad, because I expected more from Disney.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Alexandria, Virginia
“Amazing selection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

The food at the buffet is really good and the selection is AMAZING! As hotel guests, my husband and I ate here for both breakfast and dinner.

Breakfast includes photos with Mickey before you sit down to eat. A package can be purchased for $30 that includes an 8x10 and 2 copies of 2 shots in 3x5, plus an 8x10 of Mickey and Minnie. You can also ask them to take pictures with your camera. Minnie and Goofy came around to our table while we were eating.

Breakfast had items from all over the world - I was so impressed! They had pancakes, Mickey shaped waffles for the kids, french toast, blinis with raspberry sauce, oatmeal, grits, yogurt and granola, dim sum (steamed buns with BBQ pork, shrimp dumplings and pork xiao mai), congee, hash browns, bacon, Portuguese sausage, turkey bacon, loco moco, an omelet station, pastries, fresh fruit and tons more that I can't remember. To drink we had coffee and a tropical fruit juice blend.

For the dinner buffet, the selection was equally vast.... sushi, crab legs, shrimp cocktail, raw oysters, guava BBQ pork ribs (SO GOOD), mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, pasta, tater tots, prime rib carving station, spring rolls (yummy!), tempura fried onions and taro (yum!), apple cobbler, caramel bread pudding, cookies, mini pastries... and more I can't remember it all. I had a lilikoilatta from the bar that was delicious!

Our servers were very nice both times, pleasant and checked back with us several times to see if we needed anything.

As everyone has stated, it is QUITE pricey but the large selection and variety of foods helps make up for it somewhat. I would definitely do the breakfast again.

• Visited April 2012