“Disney done well” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kapolei
Oakland
“Disney done well”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This is a great place for children. My 12 year old daughter enjoyed every bit of the hotel. The pool, hot tub, water play area, and lazy river was full of smiling, and laughing children(paradise). The only problem for me was there was no adult entertainment. Everything was closed by 11:00pm. On the beach at night fall the place was empty, because of no light or entertainment I assumed it was discouraged. If it was just me and the wife I would not stay at Aulani, but with children I do not think you could find a better place. You pay for the Disney name.

Room Tip: Looking for adult vacation( Romance) this is not the place.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (728)
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed at Aulani in May for my cousin’s wedding. We were a group of 8 adults and I booked a 2 bedroom villa. I only booked Aulani for 2 nights as it was quite expensive and then moved to Waikiki for the rest of my stay.

Check In:
Lobby with its cathedral ceilings was breathtaking. Check in at Aulani was very quick and efficient. I highly recommend the online check in as our keys were waiting for us and there was no wait whatsoever. We were greeted with leis and fresh citrus water then given a quick orientation of Aulani. Only comment is girl who greeted us with our room keys and gave us the orientation seemed distracted and uninterested.

Room:
We were upgraded for free to a 3 bedroom, 3 bath Grand Villa. Score! The Grand Villa blew us away with over 2100 sq ft of space. Décor throughout the Villa was warm with lots of dark wood and Polynesian influence. The dining room had a huge dining room table that perfectly fit 8 adults. The kitchen was modern and had every amenity. The Grand Villa ended up being a blessing as my cousin had booked a 1 bedroom villa in which he planned to do some pre-wedding traditions. Unfortunately his 1 bedroom wasn’t available for early check in on the day of the wedding due to Aulani being at full capacity. We were able to get early check in into our Grand Villa so all the pre-wedding festivities moved to our Grand Villa. Ha, never got ready for a wedding so quickly. The Grand Villa easily accommodated the wedding party and all my cousin’s relatives for the festivities.

Wedding:
Wedding ceremony was held at the Kipuka Lawn with the ocean as the backdrop. For those interested in an Aulani wedding, my cousin said their coordinator Nicole was excellent and was with them every step of the way. The reception was at the Ka’ala Ballroom which was very nicely decorated and a good sized dance floor. Mickey and Minnie showed up for the cake cutting ceremony.

Food:
I didn’t try any other food at Aulani except for the food at the wedding reception. Only thing preventing me from giving Aulani 5 stars was the food at the reception was inconsistent. For instance the filet mignon I had was excellent but the sea bass my husband had was dry. The crab cake appetizer was dry but the Sweet Maui Onion soup was very good. Our server also seemed quite inexperienced. She had trouble serving dinner buns with two forks in one hand acting like tongs. She rolled the buns all over her forearm and wrist while trying to grasp it with the two forks. Not really appetizing being served a bun that’s been all over the server’s arm.

Beach:
Beach was very clean and with soft white sand. Great service at the beach. You find a spot then go the Makiki Joe’s Beach rental hut where an employee will carry an umbrella to the spot you’ve picked and set you up for free. Waters at the lagoon were calm and perfect for swimming. Not much to see snorkeling except for by the rocks forming the lagoon. There is waiter taking food/drink orders on the beach.

Service:
For the most part, service was excellent. The bellboys were quick and got our luggage up to us within 10 minutes of arriving in our room. Front desk was great at replacing my parents’ room keys right away when my parents lost their keys. The valet cheerfully loaded our luggage in the car and gave us very useful driving instructions to Pearl Harbour. The majority of staff we encountered was very helpful. Only exceptions were the girl who greeted us for check in and the server at the wedding banquet. I put those down to training and experience. I’m sure it’ll improve as they continue to get trained in Disney hospitality.

Pools:
I didn’t get the chance to use the main pools as I spent most of my time at the beach. But I did use the lazy river, tube slide and volcanic vertical slide. All of them were great fun and I highly recommend them. Hopefully I’ll get to go back and try their infiniti pool which looks out towards the ocean.

Overall, I recommend staying at Aulani as the resort is absolutely gorgeous and the amenities are fabulous. I’m sure service will improve as their employees gain experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Kailua, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed in one of the 2 bedroom villas with our daughter, son-in-law, and grandson for Father's day weekend. While colors selected for the rooms seemed quite dated, the set-up was very nice. Fully stocked kitchen made its' use easy. Great breakfast (selection & quality) with the characters. Thoroughly enjoyed our time in their water-park and on the beach. While the water park was quite crowded, an additional water-park / pool area is under construction and should be completed by the end of the year The "Disney" magic is everywhere in the Resort, and they are to be commended on their exceptional incorporation of the Hawaiian culture/art-work. Smiles and greetings from all staff from arrival to departure. We had a wonderful time there, and would highly recommend this resort to families with children.

phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

The hotel location, staff and infrastructure are great. As with all Disney hotels, they've really pulled out all the stops to make the site one of the nicest that you'll see in Hawaii. The room was very clean and nicely furnished. The on-site restaurants were good and the hotel has a lot of recreational activities for kids. They also have their own protected beach and on-site snorkeling in a man-made lagoon. Yes, this is Disney and so it's entertainment, but they're more respectful of the local culture than most hotels in the islands that think a tiki and a surfboard encompass the entire Hawaiian culture. Stay for a couple days so that you get the chance to see and do things that don't happen on-site everyday.

Room Tip: Make sure your kids ask for a Menehune necklace at the front desk. It's free and it's a uni...
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I live in Hawaii and my parents and I stayed in Aulani when they visited me. The resort was just fantastic from the moment we drove in and we were greeted with leis and some refreshments. The "Disney" magic is everywhere in the Resort and we had a wonderful time there. The room was spacious enough to sleep three adults and the beds were super comfortable. The theme of Hawaii and the Disney were well blended in the interior decore. The only downside was that we could not eat the breakfast in the Resort. All restaurants were fully booked and we decided to walk to the Marriott which is next door. The daily parking fee of $35 was a bit expensive to me considering the room rate we are paying and the resort is not located busy Waikiki.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Well where can I even begin? The hotel was just amazing in Everyway

1. I'm gonna start with the service. What can you expect? It's disney! They bring world class service unmatched by anyone else. The call you by your name. When we arrived a storm of employees rushed to our car and opened our doors. Valet parking was free and they gave they gave us fresh flower neckeles! They even had someone escort us to the check in office! That is what I call service

2. Next I'm gonna talk about the hotel and it's rooms. The lobby is stunning and a lot more hawaiian than most other hotels on the island. The rooms were very nice. It's like that stalk you . Your gone for 5 minutes and your room is cleaned and refreshed with towels and washcloths.

3. Pool and ocean. This is the best poop I have ever swam in and it's not even 100% finished yet! There is a big pool, kid play area, very large lazy river, another big pool and four hotubs with views of the ocean and a private snorkeling pool! The attention to detail is just incredible in the whole pool area. What tops it all off is the massive volcano in the center. There are two long fun slides at the top of the volcano. One less intense on a intertube for the litter ones but is still equally fun for even adults and I more intense dark body slide! The pool is just amazing ! Now onto the ocean! The sand is white and the water is clear! The bay keeps out unwanted sealife and big waves which makes it ideal for swimming. The only way that you would not like the beach is if you want the bio waves. If you really want big waves you can drive 10 mins down the road to the local beach which is rough but has large waves

4. The last thing is the island of Oahu where the hotel is located. Although crowded in parts it is a very nice island with lush jungles and much to do. Such as Pearl Harbor and horseback tours through the jungle. There are also many famous surf and snorkel spots you can drive to!

Everything single the about the hotel is amazing and you won't be dissapointed . I had such a great time!

• Stayed June 2013
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

We recently spent a week at Aulani celebrating our grandsons graduation from high school. Aulani is beautiful! Just like the rest of the Disney resorts they know how to do it and how to do it well.
There is plenty of things to keep you and yours busy or you can park yourself on the beach or by the pool. The excursions we booked through Aulani were all great! So glad we book Pearl Harbor through them. Great tour guide!
The food and staff at AMA AMA could be better especially at the prices they charge. The character breakfast was fun and delicious and the price was reasonable for Disney but we attended the buffet one night and was shocked at the cost! Shocked! We did find a market across the way for groceries and some reasonable places to eat.
Staff throughout the resort was friendly and hospitable. The grounds are gorgeous! We loved it and plan to return a little wiser and hopefully Disney will have what they are doing with AMA AMA figured out.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!