“Lanawai Spa was exquisite!” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   92-1185 Ali'inui Drive, Kapolei, Oahu, HI 96707   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kapolei
Seattle
“Lanawai Spa was exquisite!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

While we were unable to find a room at the Aulani (we stayed next door at the Ihilani) we were able to take full advantage of the Lanawai spa at Aulani (for a fee of course). We opted for a couples package that included an hour in "the garden". The garden is an incredible coed area filled with soaking baths, various showers and hot tubs..amazing. This was followed by a 75 minute side-by-side couples massage that left both of us wanting more.

If you are staying anywhere in the Ko Olina area THIS is the spa for you!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (838)
LOS ANGELES, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

We just returned from our stay at the Aulani for 6 nights from January 1- January 7. Overall it was a fun and relaxing vacation. The hotel met our expectations since we researched other reviews before we left so we were aware of some of the limited and expensive dining choices, the need for reservations and other issues voiced by reviewers here.

The things I liked:
-The rooms are beautiful and spacious, the beds are comfortable. We had a standard hotel room and not a timeshare unit. We did not pay extra for a pool or ocean view and I do not regret it. One of the people we met while there said they asked to be moved out of their pool view room due to the noise.
- The pool area is really fun. My daughter and I loved the lazy river and she liked the water play area also. But for swimming we went to the smaller, quieter Wailana pool which always had less people, a lot more shade and also had its own bar and table service so we weren't missing anything.
- The service was good. There were hiccups but for the most part the staff is very friendly, helpful and efficient. Check-in was very smooth and overall we were pleased with how attentive the staff was.
- The spa is AMAZING and not to be missed. It is beautifully designed and the relaxation garden is really nice.
- Dinner and Breakfast at the Ama Ama restaurant. Dinner can be pricey but the food is good. Breakfast was not unreasonable and you cannot beat the view since the restaurant is right above the beach.
- The hula show. Aulani puts on a nice hula show on the garden lawn two nights a week. It's a really nice show and we all enjoyed it. The two guys who play the Ukelele are amazing.

The things I found disappointing:
- The first two days at the resort felt crowded. The hotel is only 60% in use and already there were no chairs available by the pool by mid-morning. The hotel claims to have a policy that they will clear your chair if you leave for more than an hour but when the three of us finally found one chair to share for the afternoon, we noticed that our neighbors were gone for well over three hours and no one came or remove their things and free-up the chair for another guest. I cannot imagine how they will accommodate all the guests at the pool when the resort is at full capacity.
- The dinner buffet at Makahiki was extremely disappointing. The food was below average and it is very expensive for what you get. Twice we went to buffets at the restaurant at the J.W. Marriott Ihilani (next door to the Aulani and just a quick walk down the beach path). The food was better, the price was less and kids under five eat free with a paying adult so I recommend that if you want a buffet. The restaurant menu is also good. The Japanese restaurant there also has a nice buffet.
- As others mentioned, reservations are recommended for the restaurants so we made them in advance. However each time we got to a restaurant we noticed that there were lots of empty tables and people were still waiting and being turned away. I am not sure why they cannot accomodate everyone who wants to have dinner and why people have to wait if there are so many empty tables. We inquired about why this was the case and were told it was due to the fact that they had limited servers. It seems like they should have realized by now that they need more servers. Again, I am not sure how they will manage the situation with the restaurants when the hotel is at full capacity.
- After three days the pool bar menu got very old. It would be nice if they switched the menu certain days of the week since there aren't any other options for casual/quick lunch at the property right now. (The quick service restaurant was not open while we were there).
- Aunty's Beach House was not what I expected. The staff is really great and professional and the facility is really nice but there aren't enough engaging activities for the kids. It feels more like a babysitting service than a kids' camp. We went to another family resort in the Caribbean during the same week last year and the kids activities there were much more exciting for our daughter, now 6. She could not wait to go to the kids program there and was not at all excited about Aunty's Beach House. She attended one "premium" activity that cost $79 dollars for three hours and she did not seem that excited about it when we picked her up.

This is a very nice resort. We had a great vacation and are glad we went. The DIsney aspect of it is understated and we were pleasantly surprised that we were not bombarded with characters and gift shops at every corner. I am not sure we would go back due to our concern about how crowded the resort will feel when they open the second building completely. However, I would recommend this vacation to family and friends.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

On the whole we loved Aulani. It is a beautiful resort and Disney does not disappoint. This was our first trip to Hawaii so it was difficult to gauge how Aulani compares to other resorts. We expected the food to be expensive and it was. We expected the food to be disappointing, so we tried to avoid eating at Aulani. Honestly our best three dinners were all at Aulani so there really are not a lot of better or cheaper options.

We rented DVC points (154 points for $1,540) and stayed for 7 nights in December. This was a great deal compared to the listed rack rates. We rented a car and were offered free self-park (because we booked with DVC points). We conveniently drove a few miles south to Kapolei and purchased groceries so we didn't need to eat breakfast or lunch out.

Our biggest disappointment was Auntie's Beach House. I had read a review stating "their 7 year old never wanted to leave Auntie's". Going in with that hope and expectation was a mistake. Our 7 year old son wanted nothing to do with Auntie's. To his credit, although beautiful and nicely appointed, Auntie's felt like a glorified daycare center with a prison gate and tracking bracelets. Most of the kids seemed younger (3-5) and there was not a lot to entertain a second grader (except for video games). We had to seriously bribe and force our son to go there. In total he spent about 6 hours at Auntie's.

To end on a positive note, while our son was locked-up at Auntie's we tried the Laniwai Spa. I went in a skeptic... not sure I could justify $160 plus tax and tip for a 50 minute massage. The spa was delightful and exceeded my expectations. You must, MUST make the time for a treatment. It is so worth it -- You won't be disappointed.

I would also note that you cannot miss the Disney magic of the Starlight Hui and Menehune Adventure Trail!

Room Tip: We were in room 1657 -- An Island-View DVC Deluxe Studio in Ewa Tower. This part of the island is ve...
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Our family are DVC members and we spent 8 nights here in a studio. The rooms were absolutely beautiful. There were lots of hidden mickies in the carpets, the bedspread and even in some of the art. I really liked how you could store your luggage under the beds. The hotel itself is amazing with all of the art and details. It is very heavy on hawaiian culture, and not so obviously Disney. There were lots of neat little touches, from the lights in the pools being Hawaiian constellations, to the beautiful lobby with the photos taken by Hawaiian grade school kids.

We had an island view, but you saw a good portion of the parking lot. I wouldn't pay extra for it over the standard view. I liked the studio, but next time I think I will get the one bedroom. It would have been handy for eating in, especially since there are so few restaurants within walking distance.

The grounds were beautifully landscaped, unfortunately when we were there they were moving a lot of stuff around (they moved the towel/pool bracelet tent) and were doing a lot of replacement work on the concrete.

The water slides were a lot of fun; especially the dark tunnel. One of our favorite things though was the lazy river. We probably spent at least 1 hour a day floating around the river. The nighttime stories were really good, but the fire wasn't working a lot of the time. The pools and the infinity hot-tubs were amazing. We also bought length of stay passes for the snorkelling. My daughter was too timid to go to the ocean and loved seeing the fish up close. They also had a paid "Fish are Friends" activity at Aunty's Beach house. It was expensive ($50) but it included a movie, lunch, feeding the fish, a copy of Disney Oceans and a lot of information from the biologists. It was really well done and worth the money. She ended up being the only kid, so all of the castmembers ended up calling her the VIP princess for the rest of the trip. Another thing that was really educational was the sting ray excursion. I thought it was really neat how well trained they were. They would swim up ramps and do loops for food; I had no idea how intelligent they were.

One of the big disappointments for me was the food; I thought it was pretty limited and expensive. I also thought Ama Ama wasn't very good, we all thought the food was so-so and my daughter hated her pizza. Makahiki had better food, but it was way overpriced, especially for dinner. The breakfast was a lot of fun and not quite as overpriced in my opinion (comparible to the Disney character breakfasts at Disneyworld and Disneyland).

We ate quite a bit at the store across the street, especially for breakfast (which was cheap and OK). The mexican restaurant was pretty good, especially the mocajete. We also ate twice at Roy's. It was cheaper than the resort and way better.

My daughter (8) loved Aunty's beach house, but there wasn't so much for my 12 year old boy to do. Aunty's beach house is for kids up to 12, he would go to help entertain his sister, but it was really too little for him. There were some limited tween activities, but not very many. Most were for 14+ that he would have liked, for example beach games and fitness challenges. We ended up spending a lot of time in the family room.

I have to say all of the staff, especially the family and kid councellers were wonderful. They were really friendly and learned your name pretty quickly. At the end, they said my son could participate in some of the teen activities since he was so well behaved, but by then it was a too late.

We really enjoyed the crafts, especially the ones that you had to pay for. The person who did the featherworking was extremely knowledgeable. The lady who did the plaiting was good, but it didn't take very long (30-45 minutes). It was a little pricey at $30 a person. My daughter did the stingray adventure which was well worth the money.

They had some good tours like the Art tour and the wildlife tour. There were a lot of free activities to do. We really liked the Starlit Hui show that was on Monday and Thursdays. The crafts ahead of time were a lot of fun. The other thing that we really liked was the stargazing. There are 2 versions, the free one, which was very interesting and we went on. I would have liked to go on the one you paid for, they actually had telescopes out and an astronomer.

Another big disapointment was that we booked 3 of the disney tours before we left, Mahoa falls, Wakaimea falls and the cooking with Sam Choy. All were cancelled because not enough people signed up (you needed 10 and we were the only ons for all 3). We had planned to do Wakaimea falls ourselves, but by the time we found it was cancelled there was the first surfing competition on the North Shore so it would have been very difficult to get there.

All in all, we loved it enought to buy an Aulani timeshare. We were all really sad to leave. If they did something for the tweens, especially active boys, and the food, the resort would be perfect. It is certainly worth going on DVC points for a week; I don't know that I would stay at the rack rates; especially for a whole week.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for island view over standard view. We paid for island and got to see the mounta...
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

My sister’s job was offering discounted rates at Aulani for a few weeks in December. So we set out for a “sisters-only” 9-day vacation mid-month. We both live in NYC and I travel often for work. So, I’ve stayed in many 5-star hotels all across the U.S. [Translation: I’ve got pretty high standards!] But I was excited and optimistic (even though I had read some not-great reviews of the place) for my first trip to Hawaii.

We arrived at Aulani just after sunset and were really blown away by the beauty of the lobby. Check-in was a breeze and everyone was really friendly and helpful (this is something that impressed me daily during our entire stay.) The property is stunning. The layout of the pool and restaurants is really something to see, especially at night. It’s so “Hawaiian!” (I was pleased it didn’t feel so “Disney.” Personally, that was not the experience I was looking for.)
Our room had a partial ocean view (partial ocean also meant partial parking structure– but considering my NYC apartment overlooks the back of other apartments buildings, I was thrilled. And we saw rainbows almost daily!)

The room was a bit smaller than I expected, but very clean and that’s what matters most. Plus, the beds were outstanding. In fact, I pulled back the sheets to see what kind of mattress I was sleeping so soundly on every night – it was THAT dreamy.

Housekeeping kept the room extremely tidy during our stay – plenty of towels, prompt cleaning and turndown service. All good there.

Since we scheduled our trip pre-Christmas break, I was surprised at how many families were actually vacationing that week. The hotel seemed to be fully booked and the pool area was jam-packed with excited kids enjoying the lazy river, pools and hot tubs. I was a little disappointed there was no “adults only” area (especially for the hot tubs,). So, during our stay, I never even dipped my toe. That’s a strike against the place, I suppose.

But, the beach really made up for it. We rented our umbrella and lounges before 10am every day, and then relaxed an enjoyed til at least 5pm. $20 for a full day umbrella was worth every penny. Everyone at Makiki Joe’s was so helpful and accommodating. After just 2 days, they were addressing us by name and could not have been more pleasant. (Same goes for the valets. They always greeted us with an “Aloha, miss ___.”) We originally planned to indulge in a few spa treatments during our stay, but once we arrived, we knew we wanted to make the most of the outdoors and warm sun before returning to another grey, NYC winter.

We also took advantage of the Hawaiian Ocean Adventures canoe adventure and paddleboard lessons. Don’t pass this up during your stay. It cost extra, but was so worth it. Our canoe/catamaran ride was a highlight for sure. It was a peaceful (and fun) one hour ride on the blue, blue water of Hawaii. The guys that run HOA are just the BEST. So friendly and nice and really excited to share what they love about the ocean and Hawaii with Aulani guests. I learned even more during my one-hour paddleboard lesson with them. They were happy to recommend some great places for us to visit, and things to do beyond the confines of the hotel property. We took their advice and they absolutely did not steer us wrong. I can’t say enough nice things about them and we really enjoyed chatting with them every day.

As some of these other reviews have mentioned, food options at Aulani are limited. During our stay we ate at Ama Ama (breakfast, lunch, dinner), the Makahiki buffet (breakfast, dinner), the Oleo room (breakfast) and Off the Hook (drinks and snacks).

Yes, the service was a bit slow in spots but the servers were all so friendly it was hard to really get worked up about it. While the menu at Ama Ama is limited (come on people, you can’t expect any hotel restaurant to have the offerings of a larger chain eatery), all three meals we ate there were good. Not the best I’d ever eaten, but not as horrible as some have reported here. And honestly, the view and atmosphere was incredible. (Maybe that made the food taste better?) During dinner at Ama Ama, the live music and Hawaiian dancer really enhanced the ambience. It was just lovely. (We made reservations for all meals there.)

The breakfast buffet at Makahiki, was good (we did not attend on the mornings of the character breakfast) and we had no problem getting a table without a reservation. The buffet dinner wasn’t our favorite, but we just chalked it up to one so-so meal. The prices at the restaurants are standard to what you’d find in any nice hotel. This is NOT an all-inclusive resort – you pay for your meals. So reviews of everyone’s surprise and outrage at the prices are confusing to me. Why would anyone expect fast food prices at this resort?? And what’s with all the praise everyone is heaping on the ABC store? Yes, it was convenient for snacks and stuff like that. But the sandwiches I purchased one day for lunch were not good. At all. And not cheap, either. We actually ended up tossing them. Unless you are buying food there to prepare yourself, get ready to be ripped off and unsatisfied.

Since my sister and I were really looking for a relaxing getaway, we did not plan to rent a car during our stay. We knew the hotel offered excursions and we planned to take advantage. However, once we got more info at the Holoholo desk, we ended up only booking one day trip to the Big Island and decided it actually did make sense for us to rent a car for a few days to do some exploring on our own. (One caveat – the excursion met at the Honolulu airport – and Aulani did not provide transport to and from. That was a bit of a disappointment, I’ll admit. Those cab rides add up.) As for renting a car, we were thrilled that we were able to do so right on the property. We rented it for 3 days and did not have to deal with any airport rental location hassles – you pickup and return right at Aulani. (Yes, parking was an extra $35-day –a cost we didn’t expect – but, what can you do.) We ventured out to Waikiki and Kapolei for drinks and dinner and it was nice to have that option. The food prices everywhere else were comparable to Aulani. (Starbucks was even more than what I pay here in NYC.) It’s no big secret, people - Hawaii’s not cheap. So save your money and enjoy yourself – if money’s an issue – this might not be the vacation spot for you.

Granted, I know that as two adults with essentially no budget concerns, our experience was quite different from that of larger families traveling with several small children. But it’s unfair to knock the Aulani for NOT being a theme park with round-the-clock entertainment and fast-food vendors every five feet (Let’s leave that to Disneyworld.) That’s not what it professes to be. I will admit, I am curious how the prospect of more rooms opening in February will affect the resort. I’m not quite sure the space can handle more people. The pool area seemed so full every day we were there. Multiply that with an entire tower of more rooms opening next month and well, I just don’t know how that’s gonna work out.

Based on some other reviews I’ve read here, Aulani’s location seems to be one of the biggest points of contention. Aulani is located in Ko’Olina. And no, it doesn’t have the food and entertainment options of Waikiki. But, it does offer serenity and just sheer beauty that the more citified areas of Hawaii don’t. Ironically, I thought the location was the real star of the show, and renting a car for even just a few days really was the way to go. Overall, I’d say our experience at the hotel was really great and I would absolutely (and am already planning to) return there later this year.

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

The architecture is fabulous and Disney have clearly spent a massive amounts of time and energy thinking through the messages and myths of Oahu. The staff were great and facilities second to none - pools, slides and beach had it all. We stayed in a one bedroomed suite which was massive and had everything we needed to make us feel at home. Yes the food is expensive but with sensible management you can work this through. I would strongly recommend this hotel to everyone - you will not find better facilities, service and entertainment anywhere.

Room Tip: Sea views were spectacular at sunset
Bridgewater
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

The Good/great part:
We are Disney Vac Club members and used our points for an 11 day stay at Aulani.
The place is brand new, opened Aug 2011, and smells like a new car(thats a good thing).
The rooms are nice, we had a 1 bedroom unit, with washer/dryer, full kitchen and sleeps up to 5 comfortably. The pool, lazy river and slides were fun and enjoyable for my entire family.
The beach was nice and relaxing, we snorkled in the lagoon and saw plenty of beautiful fish and sea life, rented a SUP (stand up surf/paddle board) and enjoyed ourselves. We will some day return.
The not so good: The restaurants were EXPENSIVE, there are 4 restaurants, and while some are cheaper than others, they were all pricey and not worth the money. I recommend driving 15 minutes to Costco or Safeway and buying food...we did and saved a bundle. We also looked at the restaurants in walking distance, and while they were nice, they were also pricey.
The beach didn't have enough chairs and the resort is only 2/3 open. Recommend they put 2 sand chairs in every DVC room so at least the DVC members have at least 2 chairs for their family. The beach is public, so if there are people on the Disney chairs without a wristband or Disney towel, tell the beach guards and they'll give them the boot from those chairs. There are only 3 free umbrellas on the Disney side of lagoon, and others are available for rent, really? The last day we were there they guards were finally monitoring the chairs around the pool for people that reserved them and then didn't come back for several hours, thats a good thing. Wife wanted a Spa experience, but the Spa is way too expensive, and always seemed empty, so I am not the only one who must think so.

Summing up: the resort is beautiful, the room was very comfortable, and we will return, but Disney needs to make some changes to make it a "TRUE DISNEY EXPERIENCE"

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!