“5 Star all the way!” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Villa   |   92-106 Waialii Place, Kapolei, Oahu, HI 96707   |
Portland, Oregon
“5 Star all the way!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I and our four kids ages 4-17 spent 10 nights at the Ko Olina Beach Villas the week of April 19-29th. To say we had a perfect vacation is an understatement. I spend months reading trip advisor reviews and doing my research before we settled on a place for us to stay at while on vacation. The second I saw the Ko Olina beach villas while searching for a place for my family to stay I was in love. Gorgeous condos, pools, beach lagoons etc. However the reviews were a bit mixed and the negative comments seemed to be pretty consistent. Everyone agreed the condo's are high end and gorgeous in every way but many people complained about the "blue shirts" bothering them the whole trip and about all of the little silly rules that made them feel on edge the entire vacation. We are very polite, rule following people but we had to consider these reviews as we were taking four kids and certainly didn't want to be hassled at the pool every time our kids made a noise. We ultimately decided that there was nothing on Oahu as perfect for our family as the beach villas and decided to book. From t he second we arrived we were blown away. We rented a 3 bd. condo on the 10th floor with a gorgeous ocean view. Every single thing about the condo was 5 star. LOVED the lanai doors that slide all the way into the wall. We spend every morning out on the lanai with our coffee and every night watching the sun go down with a glass of wine........ It was pure heaven. There is a quite pool and a kids pool. I had read lots of reviews about how families "had" to swim in the quite pool because the kids pool was too cold. Not the case when we were there. We swam in the kids pool the entire trip. I see no point of why kids need to be in the quite pool. I think the homeowners who live there deserve to have a quite pool so they have a nice place to relax. I am sure they pay a huge monthly feel for the amenities so I think they should just make the quite pool "adults only" pool, as they provide a great pool for kids so even as a mother of 4 kids I see NO point of kids in the quite pool. We never once had one problem with "blue shirts". Pretty rude of past guest to call them that actually. They have a name and always have a smile and are really friendly and work very hard. Even without the rules if guest have general respect and manners for the people that OWN there then they will have NO problem and be treated with respect back by everyone including the owners. I wish I knew the lady at the bars name she is there every day and many people make comments about her on trip advisor. We did not drink at the bar but we did use the grill in that area and eat at the tables near the bar on more then one occasion and she was such a doll and brought our kids some drink samples and we did order some fun drinks for the kids from her one night. She is amazing I hope the Ko Olina can hold on to her, such a gem! On to a bit of information I appreciate when reading reviews prior to our travels. SUPER convenient location!!! There is a little ABC food market within walking distance if you need to grab a few items if not there is everything you need from Costco to Target just 5 min up the road. What a blessing that was. With a big family we always needed something every few days. We loved walking the path that goes along the lagoons every night and touring the big Marriott and the Disney Hotel. Little tip: the big Marriott does outside movies every Sat. night. Walk down there just before dark, bring your blanket or chairs and a little cooler if you would like and enjoy the kids movie. They played Wreck it Ralph one Sat we were there and then Three Stooges the next. So fun! It's in the grass right next to Longboards Restaurant. Speaking of Longboards we ate there one night. Great location, overlooking the lagoon, server was super sweet but food was not so good and it was WAY over priced for what you got. I would skip this one for dinner. Maybe swing by for a few fun drinks. We also ate at Roy's on the Ko Olina golf course. Food was very good. My husband and I both did the Pri fixe dinner and it was super good. Service just ok def not fine dining. Inside atmosphere not good sit outside much better. I wouldn't go here if atmosphere is important to you just ok but food was good. We spent a few days at Waikiki Beach with the kids. It is a must! So fun, gorgeous water, all the kids learned how to surf there, fun people watching, great shopping. We hit Dukes for an early dinner, sooooo yummy. We got lucky and went at a great time like 4:45 pm when they had live Hawaiian music and the food was GREAT..... Every one of us loved our food. Fish tacos and Maui Burger were delish!!! We spent one day at the Polynesian Cultural Center. This is also a MUST DO. We went on lots of adventures on our trip but this was by far all of our favorite. Just go and see for yourself. Worth every penny. We didn't buy our tickets ahead of time and when we showed up it was pouring down rain so we decided to purchase this 3 hour special they offer. Super good deal compared to normal prices. We hit it at just the right time around 12:30 pm this allowed us enough time to see a few shows and attend the canoe pageant which is at 2 pm I think and hit another show after that. We got lucky and the second we bought our tickets the skies cleared up for three hours and the second we got back into our car it started dumping again. I'm calling that good karma!!! We also went to Pearl Harbor. Worth the trip, very educational for the kids. We purchased the audio head phone tour and walked around and it was perfect and inexpensive. We wanted to take the boat out to t he memorial but all the tickets were sold out. If you want to do the memorial you HAVE to book in advance if you just want to tour the grounds and do the audio tour just show up. Our 4 year old slept but the other kids age 7, 10 and 17 found it very interesting. My husband and I have been to Hawaii 3 times, Kauai, and then Maui twice. I have never really had a desire to go to Oahu thinking it was too busy etc. We decided to go to Oahu this time since we were taking the kids and wanted to do PCC and Pearl Harbor. I can honestly say it was the perfect island to take kids too and I was blown away with how much I loved it there. The ocean is gorgeous and in many locations feels Caribbean like which I haven't normally felt on the other islands. We will definitely be back to Oahu and the Ko Olina area. We went to all sides of the island on our 11 day adventure and I think Ko Olina is the best!!!! Quite, secure it is it' own little slice of paradise.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Phoenix US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Because we couldn't stay longer. We had the perfect 7 day vacation to Hawaii and the Ko Olina Beach Villas Resort was a big part of that. We reserved a Three bedroom partial ocean view room through Hawaiian Air Vacations (FYI - good savings when you get an AIR/HOTEL/CAR package through Hawaiian Air - had no issues with any of the reservations whatsoever). We were very warmly greeted when we checked in at the beautiful lobby and the Front Desk had the most amazing host we have encountered in a long time. She was very inviting and even went out to the car to welcome my elderly mother to the property. She informed us of all the property amenities (the multiple beautiful pools' open and close times are monitored by security who are respectful but firm. I have nothing but good things to say about them) , nearby restaurants and and activities we wanted to do they could arrange for us.
The rooms are nicely decorated. Updated hawaiian theme using beiges and dark browns with wood accents. The beds, extremely comfortable. The bathrooms are nice sized, the complimentary soaps/shampoos are great but the lotions smell delicious and the bathtubs are so deep you can float in them. However its the lianis that steal the show. The view from the balconies are ones I only thought you could get through CGI. With a full kitchen , you can have breakfast while watching the sun rise or feast on dinner while watching the sun set over the ocean. A washer and dryer is also included in the unit which means that you can bring less clothes and make more room in your suitcase for gifts to take back with you.
Some of the things you will need to keep in mind when booking this resort: You will need a car. Its about a 20-40 minute drive from Honolulu Airport and possibly more depending on traffic (and traffic can be horrific, However, one of our favorite games was playing find the car that DOESN'T have Hawaii plates). This does make it nice to drive around the island and head over to Target, Safeway, Costco, Wal-Mart, etc. to get groceries/sundries. Don't lose your room keys, it is the only way to get into the parking garage, building, use the elevator and pool area from the beach/lagoon. This is a peaceful resort so any loud, obnoxious behavior by adult or child is quickly but respectfully addressed (luckily this was a very rare occurrence). If you are planning to come here to party - you may want to stay at Waikiki Beach which caters more to a rowdy atmosphere. The Disney Resort maybe more kid friendly but we saw many children enjoying the pools, koi pond and the lagoon.

Room Tip: We were on the fourth floor south side Beach Tower 403 which gave us views of the pool and ocean. No...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Camrose, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

This facility is gorgeous and ideal for a relaxing holiday. Beach Villas is set in the secured access resort community of Ko Olina along with two Marriott resorts and a Disney one. These are all joined, as is the marina, by a beautiful, paved trail skirting the four, fantastic man made lagoons and are all accessible to the public. We dined at all of them, apart from the Beach Villas itself, which has no dining facilities, though there are four large barbecues for your use by the pools. (Hint: the gas control switches immediately to high and then lowers as you turn, so for lighting, don't turn the control all the way.) There is also a small shopping centre inland from the Marriott and Disney Resorts which has about three restaurants and an ABC Convenience Store which we found very useful for picking up food and liquor items and the odd souvenir (mainly clothing). Unlike some posters, we didn't find the prices too out of line, though you will want to do your main shopping in Kapolei at Safeway, Costco or Target.
The condo was a three bedroom penthouse in the Ocean Tower, very high end and well equipped, including beach and pool toys and snorkeling equipment. The view from the lanai was stunning. The gardens and pool areas were gorgeous, even better than they're pictured, and well looked after on a continual basis, by what seemed to be a large amount of staff. All the pools and hot tubs were working. Due to the fact that many of the units are privately owned and the owners may be elsewhere, it never seemed to be crowded, there was always space everywhere. My son estimated, by looking at the lit up units at night, that less than third seemed to be occupied. This gives a quite different feeling to that experienced at some of the resorts I have been to. No rushing, peace and spaciousness!
I will now address some of the points made by previous posters and add a few points of my own.
The beautiful grounds/pools are divided by fencing into distinct areas which have their own rules. The rules themselves, I found appropriate to the function of the various areas re: amount of noise etc. I did not get the impression of being watched and monitored as some posters have complained. I found the staff polite and helpful. Our group did inadvertently transgress one rule in the 14 days we were there and it was politely brought to our attention and the reason explained.
You need to carry your card key with you all the time. As well as opening your room door, you need to flash it by a sensor for most things, such as to enter the building, to activate the elevator to go to your floor, to access the pool washrooms, to leave the grounds to get to the lagoon trails and to enter back in again. You should also know that it is not just the pools ( e.g. Swimming) that closes at 9pm, this also includes the pool garden areas. That means there is no garden access to the building from the trails after 9pm, you have to go up to the main entrance off the street. (Hint: Your key cards are waterproof and mine went happily with me in the pool daily.)
If you rent directly from an owner, as we did, you do not have access to the fitness centre. I was told those renting directly from the management do. This in no way interfered with our holiday. The lagoon trail was well used by joggers and, together with the pools, provided all the exercise we needed.
The pools are nearly perfect for their functions. The adult, lap or quiet pool is a great place to relax peacefully with both sunny and shady areas and good hot tub. The family pool is aptly named and was where we spent most of our time. It is great for enjoying the water, but too tame for teenagers, as rough, loud horseplay is discouraged and there are no slides etc. Most of the children enjoying the water, of which there were a few most of the time, were in the 0-10 year old category with the majority being babies or toddlers with their parents. The accompanying hot tub was excellent. The children's pool, separated from the family pool by a rock wall, has a maximum depth of 1 foot and a bottom of very small pea gravel, not sand. (Hint: Make sure to remove the gravel from toys, strollers etc or it will get all over your condo.) Our 11 month old granddaughter loved it. The hot tub in this area also had the gravel bottom, but was as hot as the others, so too hot for small children.
The bar, between the pools and lagoon serves a mean pina colada and most other cocktails, highballs and draught beer. It is a little pricey, but no more than those at the other beach front properties. The service is excellent. Derek and Marcy, who serve, are extremely friendly and happy people and also are a font of information about the area and are able to book restaurants, trips etc. for you, if you wish.
A number of restaurants are within walking distance. Our favourite was the Monkeypod, good food and service in a relaxed environment, excellent drinks, though usually quite crowded. Their menu is on their website. This restaurant is a must for the beer lover, as they have over 40 different types, most on tap. Roy's was probably the best for the “dining experience”, while Longboards at the Marriott near the marina, has an outstanding view, if not particularly outstanding food. Go for happy hour!
Though the Beach Villas property itself is quiet and peaceful, the surrounding area is not and there is no escaping the sound of the vehicles coming to service the resorts in the area, from waste pickup to deliveries of many types. However, the loudest noises come from the Ko Olina area being on the approach flight path to the Honolulu airport. If plane noises bother you, this is not the place to be. As it was, our granddaughter enjoyed seeing the planes, greeting them when she saw them and waving them goodbye. These various sounds did not interfere with our enjoyment one bit, but if you are noise sensitive, it may be a different matter.
The only excursion we did was the one hour island tour by helicopter which leaves from the marina. (Ko Olina Helicopters). It gave an excellent overview of the island, but does not present as much of the breathtaking beauty seen on tours of the less populous islands. (Hint: If you plan to book, get their details off their website and book direct. This gives a $40/person saving.)
In summary, I thoroughly recommend Beach Villas at Ko Olina for a peaceful, relaxing holiday in an area of outstanding beauty for couples or families with small children. It will long live in our memories.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
St. Albert, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

This was our first time staying at this resort and I'm so glad we chose this one over the other three in the Ko Olina area. Our spacious 3 bedroom 3 bathroom condo was absolutely beautiful and had everything we needed to make our stay comfortable (coffee, sugar, spices, sunscreen, beach toys, beach chairs, etc...). I disagree with the previous review that said this place is not child friendly. There is a kids/family pool that is 3 feet deep, 3 1/2 feet in some areas, with a maximum of 4 feet near the little bridge. There is a very shallow sand bottom pool that is perfect for toddlers. There are no water slides but our kids didn't seem to mind since they are avid swimmers. The family pool was actually very quiet and relaxing, compared to the Marriott Beach Club and Disney Aulani next door. Those hotels were absolutely packed.

Having the calm lagoons at our doorstep was fantastic. The snorkelling in lagoon #2 in front of the beach villas is the best of all 4 lagoons. We spotted sea turtles, baracudas, moray eels, and a multitude of colorful fish. The snorkelling there was just as good as the famous Hanauma Bay, without the crowds.

The family pool was also great because there were BBQ's to use - we had supper there almost every night while the kids played in the pool. By 5pm, there is no sun in the area but it was still incredibly warm out and the water temperature was comfortable. No need to worry about sunscreen anymore. Kids could go order special drinks at the bar for $2 each. Marcy and Derrick, the bartenders, were super friendly and patient. They really seemed to enjoy their jobs. A perfect place to watch the sunset was in the cozy lounge chairs in front of bar.

The lap pool was also a bonus and there was hardly anyone in it. There were three working hot tubs (other reviews report problems) - one larger one by the lap pool, and two in the family pool area. The fitness centre was spacious, air conditioned, with top of the line equipment.

The 4 lagoons are linked by a paved path - 1.5 miles long with lots of water fountains and bathrooms along the way. There is a little store in the Marriott Beach Club (lagoon 3) that sells coffee and lattes, cold drinks, baked goods, souvenirs, and lots of other snacks. There is another bigger ABC store in a little strip mall across from J Marriott that has everything you could possibly need and more. There are a few restaurants in this strip mall: Monkey Pod, Just tacos, a BBQ restaurant, ice cream place.

Target and Costco are just a 10 minute drive. The Ala Moana shopping centre in Honolulu was also fantastic and worth the trip.

There is lots to do with children on Oahu. The top 5 things we did outside Ko Olina: 1) the aquarium in Waikiki: small but very educational, great little shave ice stand on Waikiki beach in front of Lulu's restaurant 2) Dole Plantation was super fun (have the pineapple ice cream and pineapple float) with a train ride and learn about the history and types of pineapples, 3) drive to the North shore to watch surfers, 4) snorkel Hanauma Bay - crowded but worth it, 5) drive the west coast to see beautiful empty beaches.

Top 5 things we did in Ko Olina: 1) Snorkel the lagoons 2) Character breakfast at the Disney Aulani (non guests can only reserve the day before and there seems to be plenty of space) with Mickey, Minnie and Goofy. Not like Disneyland but still worth it. 3) Check out the shark pool at the J Marriott hotel, with hammerheads and reef sharks. 4) walk, jog, run, the pathway between the lagoons, 5) relax at the family pool area while BBQ'ing, watching the sunset, swimming in the heated pool.

I highly recommend the Ko Olina Beach Resort as it is not crowded, its in a beautiful setting, condos are modern and well appointed, and it is very family friendly.

Room Tip: check out website to see what condos look like inside
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

This resort was just amazing. the only complaint I have is that it is not very child friendly. it would be perfect if the pool was designed for children as well. it is quite expensive but the view is worth a million bucks. the staff was more than friendly and it was very clean. this was the second time we have been here and look forward to returning.

• Stayed March 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

They were very helpful from check in to check out, attended on my every concern, and the most beautiful, well furnished place we ever stayed. The beds were very comfortable and love the fact that the living room opens up to the patio area. There is nothing like waking up with the sound of the ocean joined by the humming of tropical birds. Highly recommended. Look for Ola properties. Everyone is very helpful and you can be assured of the best stay in Hawaii.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Wellington, NZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We got lucky when we arrived and our 3 bedroom ocean view room hadnt yet been serviced.Would we like to upgrade to an ocean front ground floor 2 bedroom site instead? We were not sure-why drop from 3 to 2 bedroom.Thank god we did.It was fantastic and being on the ground floor a few steps away from both the pool and the beach was brilliant
This is a quirky area.All manmade-artificial beaches ,4 of them, crescent shaped servicing 4 hotels/resorts.What i liked was the safety and the mostly flat swimming conditions ,lovely sand etc and still plenty of sea life and turtles to watch .But it is a fake beach and you do miss the surf,waves etc but i am being picky .If you feel adventurous you can walk a few hundred metres in either direction and swim in the other beaches .

The resort has a fantastic lap pool-nearly always uncrowded and perfect for distance swimming.Also a river and pools type setup with deckchairs set in the water etc for families.The BBQ area is well run and popular in the evenings.Its not too much of a hardship having to wait your turn to cook when the bar is right there.
What really set this place apart for me was the quality of the rooms and kitchen,fridge,cutlery etc.All top of the range and very well looked after .No expense spared at all and our family loved their stay here.Golf course across the road,sops and restaurants nearby and an easy drive to supermarkets and the outlet stores
Loved this place

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ko Olina Beach Villas Resort? Share your experiences!