Let me start by saying this place does indeed get you away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki, it does have beautiful views, and the facilities are very well maintained. The rooms are comfortable and clean, the wood gleams, and the grounds are nice, with scattered places to relax. BUT...we were paying nearly 400 dollars per night for the waterfront 1-bedroom suite. These are labelled "waterfront cottages" on the website, but do not be fooled into believing this means you will have your own cottage. Instead, each cottage appears to have four rooms/suites in it (only two of which have water views, but I assume that is made clear when people book the non-water-view rooms). You share a porch with your neighbor--appropriately screened for privacy, but if you are both out enjoying the view at the same time you are only a few feet apart, and conversations can be heard.
For $400 per night you do not have any coffee in the room (a coffee maker, yes--but no coffee, no tea bags, no filters--you must buy or bring even the coffee filters if you want to make coffee in your room), you do not have any bathrobes, and your room only gets cleaned on M, W, F. (This is supposedly to reduce environmental impact, but the resort could do what every other hotel on the planet does and just not replace towels and sheets.) You do get a kitchen area (minimally supplied, with 2 of everything but no more), a comfortable bed and bath, and an indoor seating area as well as the porch area. But I have never paid that much for a room where a few additional amenities (e.g., coffee, bathrobe, daily maid service) are not considered essential parts of the package.
The breakfast is OK (but only OK), and they will not have cream or half-&-half for the coffee, only milk. And, the milk does not come out until about 6:45, though the coffee is out by 6:00. The milk is for cereal, not for coffee, and it must come out in a particular order. The staff is deeply offended if you ask for it earlier, as that is not the right order of things.
While the people who greeted us the first night were quite helpful in getting us checked in and showing us to our room, the service went downhill from there. We were told, for instance, that we could go to a nearby pier and get a ferry out to a local sandbar/reef--not true. I stopped to ask directions to a nearby store and the desk person stopped in the midst of helping me to take a phone call. The call went on for some 7 or 8 minutes before I suggested perhaps she should finish taking care of me, which seemed like a novel and offensive idea. We took the kayak out 3 times, and it was only after we turned it in for the 3rd time that the staff asked "did you see the turtles and manta rays"? Seems there is a spot not too far out where it is easy to see them, but no one thought to mention it earlier.
So...it is beautiful, and the place is well kept up. The rooms are comfortable and quiet, and many have fantastic views. But the service is not great, and you just don't get $400/night worth of quality out of this place.
- Also Known As:
- Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii Hotel
- Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii Hotel Kaneohe
- Schraders Windward Country Hotel
- Schraders Windward Country Resort
- Country Inn Kaneohe
- Kaneohe Country Inn
- Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii Kaneohe, Oahu
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aloha! We are very excited to announce the completion of our room and property renovations. We will continue to enhance the property as other resorts do, however the bulk of work is complete. We appreciate all of the input we received both positive and negative and we have used it to get to the point we are today. We were recently awarded the 2012 TripAdvisor Award of Excellence. We are blessed to be part of what we all consider to be the most beautiful tropical setting in the Hawaiian Islands. Now the property, accommodations and warm staff complement our surroundings. We call ourselves True Hawaii and what does that mean? Our setting reveals the answer. We are located in a panorama of spectacular natural and tropical beauty, from amazing Hawaiian mountain ranges and lush tropical landscape, to beautiful Kaneohe Bay, Chinaman's Hat Island and out to the Pacific Ocean. We border an ancient Hawaiian fishpond surrounded by lush tropical mangroves. The Kahuona Fishpond is one of the last remaining working fishponds and is designated a historical site. We are the only resort property with private access to Kaneohe Bay. Kaneohe Bay hosts the most abundant and diverse sea life and reef system in the Hawaiian Islands and our guests can access it safely right from the resort. Our design fits with the environment and has a contemporary and authentic Hawaiian look and feel. We thank our guests who have stayed with us in the past and helped to support us. We appreciate your patience with the renovations and know you will be delighted on your next stay. The property, guest rooms, new amenities, services and warm staff are here to take care of you. We offer our guests the same entertainment, special Saturday sand bar excursion and we have added a few more; a Friday evening Firedance Show, additional live Hawaiian music and surprise cultural classes. We have added some new things such as; a fitness room, Wi-Fi, on call spa service, new pool and hot tub, new floating lounge areas, conference room, intimate wedding ceremonies and we are pet friendly. We have renovated and upgraded our guestrooms with; new furnishings, artwork, premium pillow top mattresses, luxurious bedding and linens as well as new flat screen TV's and IPod docks.Kayak use is still included and we also have Standup Paddle Boards and private boat charter available. We look forward to seeing you the next time you come to Paradise. Warm Aloha, David and Stephanie Ryan ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Amex, Priceline, Tingo, Hotels.com, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.