“Liked it somewhat but too many glitches” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
35% OFF & FREE Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kaneohe
Taipei, Taiwan
“Liked it somewhat but too many glitches”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Dates stayed: 8/14/2012 to 8/18/2012
Room type: One bedroom suite on Kaneohe Bay.

My wife and I wanted to stay in a nice quiet place on the windward side of the island. Because of the mixed reviews we figured give it a try for 4 nights.

The best way to describe this resort is an inexpensive condo/motel built right on Kaneohe Bay in a local neighborhood fishing village. Part of the local feeling means you experience everything good and bad in the neighborhood. Stray cats are numerous perhaps because the neighbors have lots of stuff lying around. A guy in uniform walked up to the coffee pot, filled his mug, and left, so part of this experience is you are integrated into the neighborhood. The setting is definitely beautiful with the mountains in the background and gentle waves. However even as the staff was very courteous and helpful, the feeling of the inexpensive condo/motel showed through. I'll explain below.

We were very disappointed by the breakfast. They called this a "continental breakfast". It felt like everything they had out was purchased in bulk at Costco including the plastic silverware and plates. The pineapple was excellent and in season, but the papaya was bitter and underripe. The choices were also inconsistent; one day the oranges disappeared so I asked Napua what happened. She went into the office to ask someone and didn't come out for 10 minutes so I gave up. The oatmeal was the cheap instant oatmeal quite unlike what you'd expect from a good home cooked breakfast. All of the other items were just ordinary store bought breads and pastries. I've been at many B&Bs, and they always add a personal touch with some special cooked items but there was none of this here. Since we had the one bedroom suite, we ended up just taking a few items back to our room - the better fruit and some coffee. My wife tells me the coffee was mediocre - isn't Hawaii supposed to be famous for good coffee? I can't understand the deal with the papaya because we purchased this on our own and it was very sweet unlike the papaya they served at the breakfast here.

Our one bedroom suite was recently renovated and when we were there, other rooms were also being renovated. The room was definitely clean. It was a lifesaver to have a fully equipped kitchen because of the lack of a decent breakfast - my wife and I like eating full hearty breakfast on vacation :). There are still some things lacking though. The main thing that bothered us is the fridge was old and clunky, making a popping noise every 15-20 minutes. This combined with the poor building sound insulation made for some restless sleeping. A note for guests wandering around the resort at 5:30-6:00AM in the morning that your conversations, laughing, arguing, etc. can be clearly heard. The AC is similarly loud and old but fortunately with the ocean breezes it isn't needed at night. The shower curtain rings pop off every time you close the shower curtain making even the basic showering a bit of a challenge. The dresser for putting clothing has no rails which makes it difficult to use. The microwave was placed on top of the fridge because of a lack of counter space; would have been much better to have a built-in because the kitchen is a bit small. The walkway to the villa was poorly lit and probably treacherous for someone elderly.

Upon checking in we went down a really steep driveway to get to our room. The spaces were limited and often full, and it was a big challenge getting in and out of that lot. I ended up crunching my bumper trying to navigate between cars and getting up the steep driveway. The resort itself is very small. The swimming pool is barely big enough to jump in and cool off. But I did get to enjoy canoeing in the large bay. It's very peaceful and relaxing and free for resort guests. If you want to try this make sure you're in good shape before you go out because it can be a bit of a workout when you row against the current. The resort also had stand up paddle boards available for a fee which I didn't get to try, but I imagine that would be fun especially when the waves are bigger in the winter.

The service there was actually very warm and inviting. They always had great suggestions for things to do in the area and loved to tell stories. I do remember Napua and Kaylee who were very helpful in welcoming us to the resort and giving us suggestions of things to do. If the breakfast were better this would have been a true B&B experience ;). Things weren't so smooth when we first got there after a 14 hour flight; Napua told us "check-in isn't until 3PM" but after I explained that Tom told us they would try to make the room available if possible, she made up for it by getting housekeeping on it and walking down to our room with us to see if we needed anything. A nice touch for sure.

When we stayed there, someone rented out the resort for a wedding. Normally that wouldn't be a problem but since the resort is so small, it really detracted from the experience. The wedding took over the entire parking lot and barbecue area so we all had to fight for parking spaces on the upper level. Shame on the management for not letting guests know until we were actually staying there and had no other options.

Hopefully in my review I've painted a clear picture of what it's like to stay here. I really tried to have an open mind about this and have stayed in everything from one star basic motels to 5+ star hotels and resorts worldwide. While the Paradise Bay Resort is beautiful and relaxing, and the staff is very welcoming, the subpar breakfast, resort, & room facilities, and especially the nuisance of a wedding taking over the resort made this a real mixed bag experience and definitely not worth paying the 4-5 star resort price. This really doesn't provide the great "alternative to Waikiki" that it should be providing.

Room Tip: Get a one or two bedroom suite on the bay so you can enjoy the peaceful environment here.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

I can't say enough nice things about Paradise Bay Resort. I've stayed there 7 times now over a year and a half. I've watched the renovations that have made the spacious rooms beautiful and comfortable with all the amenities of home. The location is perfect for me as I love being off the beaten path, especially with the amazing views of the mountains. I love the private ownership and personal touches that the owners and staff do for their guests. The kayaks, paddleboards, sand bar cruise and Wed night luau with local musicians, Kimo and guests, are the biggest treats that I never tire of. I never want to leave and I look forward to my return. Thank you staff of Paradise Bay Resort!

• Stayed July 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

Your GPS is correct. Although, you may not thInk so as you are driving through the neighborhood to get to the resort. I was surprised by this gem; it is tucked away in the bay like an amphitheater and it showcases the mountainside as well as Kaneohe Bay. We were instantaneously greeted by smiling staff that were more than happy to help in any way to make our stay worthwhile.

If you love the feel of a beach bungalow, you will love these rooms. Ours had a personal lanai and had a plethora of exotic plants on the outside. On the inside, we had a king-sized bed, a kitchenette, a tabletop for two, a flat screen TV, A/C, and a decent bathroom. The shower added to the overall private feel of the resort. Some may be alarmed that the shower does not have a curtain, but it mostly felt like showering in your own waterfall.

As far as food and entertainment went, both were exceptional. On Wednesday night, the resort offered dinner (for a small fee) and had live music. The meal was awesome and included Mai Tais and dessert. On Friday night, the resort had appetizers, music, and then an AWESOME fire dance performance. Breakfast was included with your stay too.

Paradise Bay Resort offered us kayaks (included in the room price) and also offered a Eco boat tour on the reef (small cost, but worth it!) They have a pool, a hot tub, and barbeque grills available for use also.

I cannot say enough great things about this resort! If you have the chance to come to Kaneohe, you have to stay here.

• Stayed August 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

This is as good as it gets.  Have stayed at many resorts all over the world and this is in the top %3!!!

MILITARY FRIENDLY (and on TLA list).  Not to mention, the ONLY resort on this side of the Island.

FRIENDLY staff and I saw the OWNERS every other day as they were doing maintenance and upgrades on the property.

WEDNESDAY dinner was fun, FRIDAY fire show was AMAZING!

As far as constructive criticism. Too many cats in the area. Housekeeping is few and far between, but they did wash the dishes which surprised me.

I'd Definitely stay here again next time I'm on TLA!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012
Kaneohe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

If you want to spend a very nice and memorable vacation in a peaceful place where you can enjoy beautiful views and nature, choose this place.

Room Tip: Every room comes with a view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

Stayed recently, first impression, where am I. Not the best of neighborhoods, run down homes surround the "hotel". Our rooms were small for a two bedroom "suite". Furniture needs major overhaul. Complimentary breakfast needs updating. Same offerings every single day we stayed. :-( For the price we paid for our tiny two bedroom "suite", it was definitely not the experience we expected for our first visit to Hawaii. The one bright spot was the Saturday boat excursion. Would we return to PBR? It would take a lot of arm twisting for us to return.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Paradise B, Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Please forgive us for any inconvenience we may have caused you. Over the past few months we have undergone transitions in management and staff and are working hard to better serve our guests. This includes newly renovated rooms, new furnishings and guest service training for our staff. Our breakfast is set up with a variety of healthy choices to provide nourishment for the day ahead.

Additionally, our neighborhood is comprised of people who have fished and worked off of the surrounding land for many generations, keeping this area lush and fertile. Paradise Bay Resort is a remote destination and known as a secret hide way with scenic views and a true Hawaiian cultural experience.

We appreciate your feedback, as it assists us in bettering our business. We would like to extend a warm invitation for you to come and re-visit Paradise Bay Resort and it's improvements.
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

The beautiful backdrop for this resort makes it a unique experience. The views from the breakfast area are fantastic. The room was large and clean with a lanai. We used the pool, hot tub and took a kayak out to the reef. The staff was very courteous and accommodating. I would recommend this resort to those looking to stay away from the busy city scene.

Room Tip: One of the few places with a 2 bedroom available on our dates.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii? Share your experiences!