“Satisfies a carnivore” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Hawaii
“Satisfies a carnivore”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Despite Gyu-Kaku being a chain restaurant, the food has great quality. There are many choices of meat & vegetable combinations. Great prices & very filling. Intimate seating, friendly servers & nice ambiance. The black wood & dim lighting reminds me of when I went to Kyoto. I go to Gyu-Kaku a lot! I order a bowl or rice, Miso skirt steak & seaweed soup-it's delicious :) Each table has it's own grill where you cook to personal perfection. It's fast, fun & very interactive. Strongly recommend :)

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Honolulu
“A special family-friendly dining experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

My family of 5 went for an early (11:15 AM) Sunday lunch at Gyu-kaku and were immediately seated. The restaurant was not too crowded, but I have heard if you come in the evenings, there can be a long wait. Service was excellent. Our server was friendly, attentive and extremely helpful in explaining the menu to us, helping us work our mini tabletop grill, and catering to our every request (and we had many!). The menu is huge: an assortment of raw meats, chicken, seafood, vegetables and rice balls for grilling, as well as appetizers, soups, noodles and other dishes that come already cooked. Since it was "Happy Hour" when we came, we got to choose from an additional menu with discounted items. We ordered many of these so we could each have a taste of as many different foods as possible, as well as several bowls of rice. Everything came quickly, within 10 minutes of ordering.

Did we have fun? You bet we did--cooking, flipping and basting our food, dipping each bite in the shoyu sauces, and trying all the different cuts of beef. Even the 7-year-old could safely grill her food with tongs. The kids especially loved the broccoli in cheese sauce and potato with butter, which both came in steam-your-own foil packets. Mom enjoyed the grilled sweet peppers, zucchini, asparagus and mushrooms, and Dad loved the beef tongue, filet mignon, and the fact that he could cook his meat to the exact doneness of his liking (rare, of course). I thought the tender bistro harami was fabulous. For dessert my sister and I shared the green-tea ice cream with Bubu arare, which was enough for the 2 of us. The sweet ice cream with the salty, crunchy cracker balls was a tasty combination, but next time I would order it "light on the arare"--it was a little too salty for me. All in all, we had a great experience at Gyu-Kaku and will return for special occasions, as it's too pricey to visit often.

• Visited March 2012