“WHAT A GREAT "RETREAT"!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ali'i Bluffs Windward Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kaneohe
Ali'i Bluffs Windward Bed and Breakfast
46-251 Ikiiki Street, Kaneohe, Oahu, HI 96744   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Kaneohe B&B and Inns
Hilo, Hawaii
“WHAT A GREAT "RETREAT"!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I travel to Oahu, Hawaii, several times a year on business and have been doing this for well over twenty years. From a recommendation made to me in 1989 I decided to try a B&B instead of my usual business man's hotel accommodation. I stayed at Ali'i Bluffs Windward Bed and Breakfast and met Don and De. As a result of that experience I have been staying there ever since on of my continuing visits which must by now add up to something like sixty times! I have not only gone there on business but also with my daughter and other family members and arranged for my staff to stay there when also on business.

The so comfortable and inviting atmosphere of their home is well reported upon in other reviews and I endorse those favorable comments made about artwork of all forms, not just wall art, and in every size, in all the rooms such as to be constant conversation pieces. I covet those lovely Oriental rugs!

De is an accomplished portrait painter and his depiction of the human form is beautiful and at the same time realistically and artistically accurate. There is no hint of any impropriety in his work hung in his gallery at their home. How a previous visitor could interpret what hangs there as sexually explicit and unsuitable for a thirteen year old girl to see is beyond me and denies her the opportunity hopefully to appreciate this art form and that we all have bodies not to be ashamed of.

What is little known about the two modest hosts is that De was in his pre retirement days a top, if not THE top mens' fashion designer in New York and Don his business manager. In their work together they have traveled widely outside USA. They jointly have a good head for business and are highly artistic. On my frequent visits inevitably my own work has been discussed and their contribution to my planning and direction, situations with key Island customers and even product development has been invaluable. Furthermore theirs is a wonderful retreat location when I need a break from business.

This is no ordinary B&B and I look forward to many visits to come.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

42 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Littleton, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

May sound like a travel brochure cliché, but this is truly, the “real” Hawaii. As a born and raised “local” until my mid-twenties (in my 60’s now), I can attest to De and Don’s GENUINE aloha spirit. They will welcome you with intriguing conversation and anecdotes if you wish it; ensure your privacy if you want that. Their home, especially the Circus Room and bath where I stayed, is a wonderland of endless discovery and delight. As a bonus, you may be lucky enough to meet some very special guest(s) staying there when you are, just as I did. ENJOY!! Mahalo, Richard

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Yallingup, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Thanks Don & De we loved staying with you & cannot thankyou enough. It was a pleasure to get around Oahu thanks to your extensive knowledge & great map books. We really enjoyed the Banana bread too! We won't forget you & all the intriguing stories that were shared. Amazing location too.

Love,

Aiyana & Nigel

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We absolutely loved our time staying with Don and De in Kanehole. They were both absolutely charming and full of really interesting tales from their rich and full lives. Their home was full of really interesting artwork and knick-knacks, and they were happy to talk about any of them! Don in particular was so helpful - he got us maps, called a SCUBA company for us - nothing was too much trouble. We also loved chatting to him about Scotland, our home, as he originates from there.

The location was perfect for us too - Honolulu is not far, but it's much quieter and greener.

Finally, Hamish the dog was fab - we loved him to bits!

Thanks Don & De!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
cebreeze75
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I just want to thank Dee and Donald for such a wonderful experience while I stayed there. I had such a enjoyable time. They were great hosts and it was just amazing! Thanks Donald and Dee for a really great time that I had in awhile.
-Karl Disque

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

From the moment Don opened the gate door and ushered us into the lush front garden we were treated like favored relatives. Don & De are amazing hosts and spending time with them was every bit as delightful as anything else we did. In fact, on our last full day, my daughter and I were a bit "wowed out" and spent the whole day at Ali'i Bluffs. Had we been in a hotel, this would have been considered wasted time. Not so here. Their home (ours for 6 days!) is filled with antiques, Victorian whimsy and books, books, books. And our hosts are filled with stories, stories, stories! Ali'i Bluffs is located close to everything and Don's directions were always spot on. Gentle spirits, sweet Hamish (the dog) and lovely views -- both inside and out -- made our visit especially memorable. Recommended highly!

Regarding a few statements from a previous review - I feel the need to reply: 1) The paintings in the front hall are not at all "very graphic sexually oriented." De is an amazing artist and his work includes nudes -- beautiful and sensual, but hardly indecent.

2) I would not recommend Ali'i Bluffs for young children because they are more likely to break something precious than be traumatized by the art. Ali'i Bluffs is not child-proofed and the pool is deep.

3) "The accomodations were.a bit tired...faded furnishings and bathrooms." Of course you are welcome to your opinion, but I experienced beautiful antiques everywhere (antiques are often faded) -- and the place was spotless!

Room Tip: They don't have a fitness center -- but I cannot get the stupid dots off!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

We just returned from Hawaii and had the pleasure of staying at Don's and De's "Ali'i Bluffs Bed and Breakfast". It is situated on a beautiful Windward Coast of Oahu, perfect for romantic vacation. The whole experience was perfect, from easiness of booking, being provided directions on how to reach B&B, excellent accommodation, and to truly wonderful hosts. Room was just perfect, warm and inviting, with an old Scottish feel to it. Breakfast, served every morning on the lanai next to the pool with a wonderful view of He'eia pond, was delicious. Fresh papaya, pineapple juice, toast with guava jam and yummy banana bred were the highlights. However, aside everything one can expect from well run B&B, added warmth and friendliness of hosts is what makes this B&B a notch above great experience. Hosts' knowledge, friendliness and aptitude made this part of our vacation a memory to last. I truly hope we get a chance to return to this delightful B&B.

Room Tip: tip for couples - choose the Victorian room which has a queen bed and an attached private bath.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ali'i Bluffs Windward Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!