“Take it from a former "local"...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ali'i Bluffs Windward Bed and Breakfast

Ali'i Bluffs Windward Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kaneohe
Ali'i Bluffs Windward Bed and Breakfast
You added Ali'i Bluffs Windward Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
46-251 Ikiiki Street, Kaneohe, Oahu, HI 96744   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Kaneohe B&B and Inns
Littleton, Colorado
“Take it from a former "local"...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

May sound like a travel brochure cliché, but this is truly, the “real” Hawaii. As a born and raised “local” until my mid-twenties (in my 60’s now), I can attest to De and Don’s GENUINE aloha spirit. They will welcome you with intriguing conversation and anecdotes if you wish it; ensure your privacy if you want that. Their home, especially the Circus Room and bath where I stayed, is a wonderland of endless discovery and delight. As a bonus, you may be lucky enough to meet some very special guest(s) staying there when you are, just as I did. ENJOY!! Mahalo, Richard

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Yallingup, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Thanks Don & De we loved staying with you & cannot thankyou enough. It was a pleasure to get around Oahu thanks to your extensive knowledge & great map books. We really enjoyed the Banana bread too! We won't forget you & all the intriguing stories that were shared. Amazing location too.

Love,

Aiyana & Nigel

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We absolutely loved our time staying with Don and De in Kanehole. They were both absolutely charming and full of really interesting tales from their rich and full lives. Their home was full of really interesting artwork and knick-knacks, and they were happy to talk about any of them! Don in particular was so helpful - he got us maps, called a SCUBA company for us - nothing was too much trouble. We also loved chatting to him about Scotland, our home, as he originates from there.

The location was perfect for us too - Honolulu is not far, but it's much quieter and greener.

Finally, Hamish the dog was fab - we loved him to bits!

Thanks Don & De!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
cebreeze75
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I just want to thank Dee and Donald for such a wonderful experience while I stayed there. I had such a enjoyable time. They were great hosts and it was just amazing! Thanks Donald and Dee for a really great time that I had in awhile.
-Karl Disque

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

From the moment Don opened the gate door and ushered us into the lush front garden we were treated like favored relatives. Don & De are amazing hosts and spending time with them was every bit as delightful as anything else we did. In fact, on our last full day, my daughter and I were a bit "wowed out" and spent the whole day at Ali'i Bluffs. Had we been in a hotel, this would have been considered wasted time. Not so here. Their home (ours for 6 days!) is filled with antiques, Victorian whimsy and books, books, books. And our hosts are filled with stories, stories, stories! Ali'i Bluffs is located close to everything and Don's directions were always spot on. Gentle spirits, sweet Hamish (the dog) and lovely views -- both inside and out -- made our visit especially memorable. Recommended highly!

Regarding a few statements from a previous review - I feel the need to reply: 1) The paintings in the front hall are not at all "very graphic sexually oriented." De is an amazing artist and his work includes nudes -- beautiful and sensual, but hardly indecent.

2) I would not recommend Ali'i Bluffs for young children because they are more likely to break something precious than be traumatized by the art. Ali'i Bluffs is not child-proofed and the pool is deep.

3) "The accomodations were.a bit tired...faded furnishings and bathrooms." Of course you are welcome to your opinion, but I experienced beautiful antiques everywhere (antiques are often faded) -- and the place was spotless!

Room Tip: They don't have a fitness center -- but I cannot get the stupid dots off!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

We just returned from Hawaii and had the pleasure of staying at Don's and De's "Ali'i Bluffs Bed and Breakfast". It is situated on a beautiful Windward Coast of Oahu, perfect for romantic vacation. The whole experience was perfect, from easiness of booking, being provided directions on how to reach B&B, excellent accommodation, and to truly wonderful hosts. Room was just perfect, warm and inviting, with an old Scottish feel to it. Breakfast, served every morning on the lanai next to the pool with a wonderful view of He'eia pond, was delicious. Fresh papaya, pineapple juice, toast with guava jam and yummy banana bred were the highlights. However, aside everything one can expect from well run B&B, added warmth and friendliness of hosts is what makes this B&B a notch above great experience. Hosts' knowledge, friendliness and aptitude made this part of our vacation a memory to last. I truly hope we get a chance to return to this delightful B&B.

Room Tip: tip for couples - choose the Victorian room which has a queen bed and an attached private bath.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Tijuana, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I had the pleasure of spending 5 nights at Ali'i Bluffs B&B in March 2012 as a woman traveling alone. Every part of the visit was wonderful, from the precise directions from the airport to the extra help Don gave me researching a question that I had. Both the hosts (and their very sweet little Maltese Terrier) have the gift of hospitality and I felt at home with them immediately. When Don and De learned that I was in Hawaii to take care of a difficult task, their concern for me was genuine and greatly appreciated. I can't imagine finding a personal touch like that in even the finest of the hotels on Waikiki.
The house at Ali'i Bluffs has a homey, well-loved, well-used elegance. The guest rooms and common rooms are packed with art and antiques. In fact, the eye falls on something new and interesting constantly. I stayed in the Circus Room. Its walls are solid with framed circus posters and there are circus-related items, games, and toys everywhere. This type of overload could seem cluttered, but instead it felt whimsical and fun, and the fact that the owners wanted to share this amusing collection added to the feeling of being a guest of the family. Beyond being quiet and comfortable, my room had many nice extras, such as a bathrobe hanging in the bathroom, a good hairdryer, and a clock radio.
The relaxing breakfast each morning by the pool was a terrific way to start an Hawaiian day. It was as much breakfast as most people would ever want (a selection of cereals, toast and butter, banana bread, papaya, coffee or tea, and juice).
Finally, as other reviewers have said, Don and De are two of the most interesting people you'll ever have the pleasure of chatting with. They've had fascinating lives all over the world and they're happy to share their stories from their childhoods to their careers and also to share their considerable knowledge of Oahu and Hawaiiana. But they are also interested in their guests' lives and opinions. In short, they're excellent conversationalists.
As you can tell, I highly recommend Ali'i Bluffs Bed and Breakfast. It is a special place.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Ali'i Bluffs Windward Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!