“Best restaurant in Kailua” 5 of 5 stars

808-263-2633
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Formaggio Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 124 restaurants in Kailua
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Kailua Road
Transit: Da Bus stops across the street on Kailua Road with service to 10:00 pm.
Berlin, Germany
“Best restaurant in Kailua”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011 via mobile

We have been in Kailua for a week now and had this on the last night. It was by far our favorite meal in Kailua. We sat at the bar as there was a little wait at 6:30 on a Sunday night and had amazing service and the food was delicious. Best burger my husband has had in a while and I had the famous lobster Mac and cheese. Yum!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

64% Recommend
Pennsylvania
“I can't believe this restaurant isn't rated the BEST.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

OMG....if you have one restaurant to visit in Kailua, make it this one. The food, service and atmosphere are amazing. We had a waiter from another restaurant recommend this as well as one of our contacts at MCB Kanoehe. The food is fabulous. If you get there before 5:00, they have a great "happy hour" menu with out of this world Tapas. However, the food on the menu is equally incredible so don't eat too many apetitzers! Their speciality is Beef Bourguignon but they were out that night. The Kobe Panini is to die for as well. It's a quaint little place - not for the "right off the beach" crowd so cleaning up a bit is probably a good idea. There were children there with other families and they were treated very well (children's cups, etc.) so I don't know why someone said this place isn't "kid friendly." I wanted to go back but we were only there for a week. Extensive wine list and the wait staff was very friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. Make this a HAVE TO on your trip to Kailua.

Visited August 2011
Kailua, Hawaii
“Not family friendly”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

My wife and I took our 1 year old son and some friends from out of town here last Sunday at 5:45 pm and got turned away at the door. The "Host" didn't exactly ask us to leave, but he did say (with hardly anyone in the restaurant) that he would have difficulty seating 5 adults and our child, especially since Formaggio's doesn't have any high-chairs. We were incredulous. When our friends asked, "What do you do when people come in with kids?" the host answered, "We're basically a Wine Bar" and not really suited for children. He definitely did NOT want us in the restaurant. This somewhat shocked us as we had been there before when our son was 4 months old and they had been very welcoming. Since they bill themselves as a "Grill", we thought they would be family friendly, but they were (or at least the host was) definitely not. I can understand wanting a different clientele after say, 9pm, but at 5:45, it seems families could be accommodated. Perhaps they should visit Italy where families are the core of the society and are welcome at restaurants. I doubt we'll be back since my wife and I are both military and we'll move long before our son gets old enough to be welcome.

Visited July 2011
Santa Barbara, California
“Best restaurant in Kailua!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

We love this restaurant. It is upscale warm, comfortable with a casual ambience. It has a great bar and a pretty good wine selection. The menu has so many good choices that it is difficult to decide what to order. My husband and I shared the ribs and they "fell off the bone"! They serve everything from thin crust delicious pizza to prosciutto wrapped prawns. They also have wine tastings.

Our waitress was Brooke and she was adorable, friendly and efficient, so I would say the service was excellent!

There is also a private room for a bridal shower or special party.

The only negative about this restaurant is the noise level. It can get VERY loud and noisy. if they draped material across the ceiling it would absorb a lot of that noise. But it IS a "happening" place!

• Visited June 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Louisville, Kentucky
“Dinner with some Marines!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

Visiting Hawaii for the first time, staying in Kailua in a vacation home, my son suggested Fromaggio Grill. When we entered several Marines that my son works with were dining and invited us to join them. Atmosphere was great, sound levels were fine for having a conversation at a table seating 6 people. Staff appeared busy and helpful to all tables - not just those in there area. Food was delivered hot and delicious. Cost was more than I would pay for everyday dinner but great night for a special occasion or just to go somewhere very nice!

• Visited January 2011