“What can I say? Just go to Times for Breakfast.” 5 of 5 stars

(808) 262-7122
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 8 Coffee & Tea in Kailua
Los Gatos, California
“What can I say? Just go to Times for Breakfast.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

You kind of have to know how to get here, because it's a bit off the beaten path. It doesn't get the publicity (Food Network) that some of the more trendy places in this part of the island receive, but this is still my favorite breakfast place on this side of the island. Don't miss the fried rice, but the Loco Moco is also pretty darn good.

The service is what really makes it special for us, though.

This is definitely the place to go for breakfast in Kailua. You might have to wait for a table, as the seating area is pretty small, but it's well worth it.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Las Vegas, Nevada
“avid traveler's dream breakfast spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This place is one of my faves in all of Oahu so far(alongside Da Kitchen in Honolulu and Haleiwa Joe's up north... and the amazing soups and other hot foods @ nearby Whole Foods of Kailua). Locals obviously love this place as much as I do.

FRIED RICE: order a half order(it's huge). I don't know what they put in in, nor do I wish to find out. I just want more. I've tried to find it's indulgent sibling in Vegas to no avail :-( Just enough bacon and added sweetness.

Mahi-Mahi: AVOID. overcooked (2/5 stars... but, then I thought, who the heck orders fish or steak in a cheap(er) diner expecting amazing results??

pancakes: huge and great(if you love fluffy pancakes). I personally like my pancakes crispy and buttery, but these did the job and made even me come back for more. I think I tried the banana pancakes a couple times. The type of pancakes w/ the texture of cake....

They also serve tasty guava juice, which pairs well with coffee, at a good price.

Corned beef and onions: wow.

Eggs(sunny-side up): scrumptious.

Portugese Sausage: great value and made an awesome side(not too greasy w/ fried rice).

This restaurant is great for mixing and matching(which most breakfast menus make too difficult). You can order a (tasty and cheap) side dish of anything here! The vibe here is very diner-casual and not touristy at all.

Service was excellent and prompt each of my many visits here.

(I also loved the deli/coffee shop nearby, but this place has more substantial meals for longs days fo surfing).
The shady bar attached to it: it seemed a tad tacky and smoke-filled during daytime.

I'll bee back.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
“Times Coffee Shop with Aloha!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I visited Times Coffee shop earlier this week in hopes of grabbing something quick but flavorful. we decided to share the favorite fried rice and eggs. I was surprised that the full order was so enormous and enough to feed both my wife and I. I would definitely suggest the fired rice. unfortunately, though there weren't busy, the waitress took a while to greet us and for the food to finally arrive. However, when the good came, there wasn't Mich to complain about as the taste made up for it.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Honolulu
“It's ok if you don't want to wait for the line at Cinnamons”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

We stopped here after our sunrise photoshoot from the Lanikai Pillbox. We actually stopped at Cinnamon's in Kailua hoping to pick up some takeout since the wait for a table is CRAZY on the weekends. We were disappointed to find out Cinnamon's doesn't do takeout orders on weekends or holidays.

So, off we went to Times Coffee Shop on Hamakua (note, Big City Diner had a waiting line too). We had heard great things about Times Coffee Shop, but perhaps it was better in the past. The service was fabulous we must say. The waiters and waitresses are all local and very welcoming/accommodating. I asked for sugar free syrup and they were genuinely sorry they didn't have it.

The food however, wasn't too great. We ordered 2 dishes - buttermilk pancakes short stack and the eggs with potatoes. The pancakes were $6.25, good sized but the bottom pancake was a bit overdone, one corner tasted burnt and the rest was just dry and kinda hard. The top pancake was halfway over cooked. The top part of the pancake was fabulous - light and fluffy like a buttermilk pancake should be but the bottom was overdone and a bit hard. I ended up cutting the bottom of the pancake off. We also ordered the eggs with homefried potatoes for $4.95 or so. The eggs were fine....scrambled eggs. The potatoes would have been good but they tasted soapy. We were starving so my boyfriend ate it anyway. They bring your toast out EARLY. The nice thing about that is, they forgot they gave us the toast, so we got a second order with our breakfast! The toast was great.

If you're thinking about trying this place, it is a hole in the wall. It does look old, but everything was clean. We love hole in the wall places - the food a lot of times is great and affordable.

We probably won't be stopping here again.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Good basic breakfast.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

This place get's busy on the weekend. They served a very tasty 2 egg breakfast and their banana bread pancakes were delicious. I tried the Vanilla Mac Nut coffee and didn't like it.

Visited February 2012