“Wonderful stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lanikai Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kailua
Lanikai Bed & Breakfast
You added Lanikai Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
1277 Mokulua Drive, Kailua, Oahu, HI 96734   |
Ranked #1 of 14 Kailua B&B and Inns
Stockholm, Sweden
“Wonderful stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed at the Lanikai Tree house and we really enjoyed our stay. The house was well equipped and spacious. The owner was really helpful sharing tips on where to go, eat and so on.
During the first days we had problem with the water pressure in the shower, reported it and after perhaps 30 minutes a man arrived fixing the shower. That is service.

It is roughly a one minute walk to the water and if you want some beach as well it is a five minute walk. The walk to the restaurant, opposite the Kailua beach park, is about 20 minutes and their drinks are lovely.

Do not forget the walk up the hills to the old WW2 pillbox(es). In the morning when the sun is rising the scenery is lovely.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Where do I even start? This was my very first time staying anywhere other than a big named hotel. I found this property on this website. Rick Maxey's website was super attractive, inviting and it turns out to be totally accurate. It was exactly what it said it was going to be. We were super impressed with everything about it. Rick was super to work with. He was interested when our flight came in so he could be there to greet us and show us around. He made sure that we knew where we were going from the airport to the front door. He advised us as to resturants, stores, etc. When we got there it was fast and easy to find. The lights were on for us, the scenic Hawaii channel was on the tube, the music was low and romantic. There was a nice pineapple in the fruit bowl, fresh local coffee on the counter, a great binder of information on the table. (everything you would ever need to know about everythnig on the island) SO NICE TO HAVE. The place was very cozy, romantic, clean and charming. We felt safe and sound there. The place had body boards, beach chairs, and outdoor sand shower, a sweet courtyard with table and chairs, bug spray, candles, etc. This place had everything down to the beach straw hats in the closet! Seriously the cutest place ever. We absolutely loved our stay there! The most beautiful beach in America was right across the street. The sunrise was spectacular. Why else would you get up at 5:30 on your vacation? Trust me, it was amazing! The beaches were amazing. The resturants were amazing. The area was perfect. The locals were awesome, the Maxi's were awesome and the beach hopping was the best ever. I can't say enough about this property folks.....it was SO great. I will be back and will probably bring family and friends and rent both on this property. This was a great value. I like to think that I am an experienced travelor and I think this was one of the best ever. Thank you Mr. & Mrs. Maxi, we can't say thanks enough! See you soon. Cindy & Chris from Iowa City, Iowa.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Tacoma, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

If you've ever experienced fine dining, you know the atmosphere is almost as complimentary as the food. But where a five star restaurant really shines -- and yet, ironically, gets the least press -- is it's service. Without excellent service the experience really isn't possible. The fare by which you feast upon is the most evident and tangible of a fine dining event, yet it's the behind the scenes people who make it happen. Once again, the property in Lanikai speaks for itself with it's postcard-esque views, but the service we received from Rick and Nini Maxey is beyond words.

You see, this trip was a big one. My 40th birthday was upon me and my girlfriend wanted to make it special, so she booked a stay at one of the properties managed by Lanikai Beach Rentals. The view from just about anywhere in Lanikai is world renowned and breathtaking, and this was not to disappoint. There were a few bobbes -- small kine, if you will -- but they were easily fixed and did not even create a ripple in our plans. Even though we weren't staying at Rick and Nini's property specifically, he was beyond accommodating and so respectful and apologetic that we even experienced the slightest inconvenience during our stay. Mind you, this was done via phone contact; not by e-mail or text message as our electronic society knows so well.

We then stopped by to see Rick and Nini, and it was like seeing old friends even though they had not met my girlfriend before. Nini loaned us two of her personal books so we could find some hidden spots on Oahu, and Rick offered us ice water, towels, a beach umbrella, and a cooler full of ice to take with us, even though we were going to the other side of the island for the day. None of that mattered to them; what did matter, and what showed in their kindness, was their willingness to do whatever it took -- to go that extra mile, if you will -- to let us know that we were ohana, and they, too, were the same to us. Rick and Nini are like family to me, and I would do anything to help them out. During a tsunami scare in 2009 and then after a torrential storm tore through Lanikai in 2010, I called them to make sure they were okay and offer anything from the mainland they may need over there. This was their way of taking care of us, even if we weren't staying on their property.

The last day of our stay was highlighted by spending some personal time with Rick in one of his favorite spots where he takes his family, and where he loves to go to unwind. He was gracious and my words cannot express how appreciative we were of him taking his time and day to make up for our bobbles which were no fault of his own.

Make no mistake about it, Rick and Nini Maxey are the best of the best when it comes to Hawaiian hospitality -- known as the Aloha Spirit -- and they are among the kindest and most amazing people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. This trip was a hallmark on so many levels because I got to see some sick family members who really may not be around the next time I fly home, so it was emotional to say the least. Rick and Nini's love and generosity made our stay that much less stressful and that much more enjoyable, and we hope to return the same when they make their way to Seattle in the future. Our love and respect to you both.

Me ka `oia`i`o,

Durand & Dori

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

If you're looking for a quiet, clean, relaxing place to hang out this is it. The property is gorgeous, the dogs (yes Sue has 3 of them) are fun and friendly. Sue the host is so accommodating and sweet. The unit doesn't need AC because the trade winds, ceiling fans are perfect to keep things nice and comfy. You are steps from a quiet sandy beach that is the reason people think of Hawaii.

Kailua has some good food, so you're not in the total boonies and have to eat in your kitchen. We ate breakfast and some lunches there but went out every night for dinner. The kitchen is small but perfect for snacks, breakfast or lunches.

This place is great for couples. Wouldn't be good for families or kids. Not because Sue wouldn't make it work, but because it's really set up as a retreat from reality ;)

Room Tip: There is only one room so book early!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Southwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Kailua Beachside Oasis is one of the rentals offered through Rick Maxey's Lanikai Beach Rentals. This was our second rental through his agency and we were very pleased with the accommodations and the location (a very short walk to the beach.) Rick's website gives a very thorough description of the property complete with pictures and a video.

The rental cottage is located on the grounds of a main house, which is occupied by the owner Sue and her family, including three friendly little dogs. The only reason I didn't rate it "Excellent" is that the pool is located right outside the bedroom window of the cottage. The owner was visited daily by friends and family who used the pool, so bedroom privacy was lacking and availability of the pool to guests was minimal.

Room Tip: If you're looking for privacy, there are better options. We stayed at the Lanakai Tree House (o...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Waukesha, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

As the saying goes...location, location, location! Loved the location with multiple access points within a few minutes walk just across the street. Got up and watched the sunrise 3 of 4 mornings....just Gorgeous. We stayed in the garden studio and found everything to our liking. The unit is cosy and nicely furnished. Loved how most walls were louvered windows so you could adjust as you liked and get marvelous breezes,
Rick provided much info and recommended many places to shop and eat.
The main beach park down the road was the perfect beach for walks on the sand, dips in the ocean and just sitting in the shade listening to the waves ( made great use of the folding beach chairs and beach towels provided in the studio).
Only thing I would change is the length of my stay!
Highly recommend and hope I get to visit again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

This was my first trip to Hawaii for my honeymoon. We had several flight delays and lost a day. We stayed in the Lanikai Penthouse. It was very spacious with a great view. The walk to the beach was a short and enjoyable one. There is alot of stairs to climb to get to the property, but I saw it as my daily exercise and it was no problem at all for me. I loved how the owners left a binder with tips and restaurant menus. Had a great time! Hope to return soon!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Lanikai Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!