“For 67 year old me--tiring.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 20 Activities in Kailua
Type: Hiking Trails, Sports
Hilton, NY
13 attraction reviews
“For 67 year old me--tiring.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

While not over weight, 45 mins./day on the treadmill did not prepare me for this hike/climb.It had rained lightly in AM so trail was muddy. I was glad I wore hiking boots. Peruse the photos people have posted here, they give a pretty good idea of what the trail looks like. Be prepared for hand-over-hand climbing. I did the first peak . Apparently, most people stop after 1st peak. I can see why. Supposedly peaks 2 & 3 are harder. Really, anyone under 60 should be able to handle this hike. If your over 60 &/or sedentary it could be tough. Having said that there were a few people on the trail that were at least my age & they were moving right along.I guess if you stop and take enough rests (& hydrate) most can do it. Incredible views!!

Lyons, New York
5 attraction reviews
“Excellent views if you can make the climb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Started out as a simple walk in the woods. Ended up being a rock climbing adventure. Be sure to bring plenty of water with you. We made the mistake of only bringing one bottle each. We only went to the first peak which is the highest and offers the best views. The 2nd and 3rd peaks in my opinion are not worth the hike. Simply put the risk just isnt worth the reward. The hike took us comfortably 3 hours to go up and another almost 2 hours to get back down. Some areas are tough and require you to use a rope to climb very large rocks. The views from the first peak are quite possibly some of the best views on the Island. Avoid leaving valuables in your car during the hike. We were warned that car break ins are common where you have to park, as would be thieves know you will be away from your car for hours.

nikitta28
“Treacherous but fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

To start finding the trailhead was close to impossible and we almost bailed. We asked multiple locals that kept directing us to a waterfall hike. Even using the google maps took us to the wrong place. You need to find the gate house of the royal Hawaiian golf course. When you google that it says it doesn't exist! (But it does) ask for directions at the gate house. The hike was VERY technical. I regretted taking my 11 year old son who was in great physical condition but clearly lacked good decision making skills on such a treacherous trail. If you are afraid of heights or lack rock climbing experience this is not for you. That being said...... Fantastic climb, amazing views, gut wrenching foot placements and hand holds. Bring food and water. Be safe. This is an expert climb at the end.

Tampa, Florida
13 attraction reviews
“Don't miss this hike/climb..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Get started early, since the trail can get a little crowded and parking is somewhat limited. We went on a Saturday around 8:30am and that was perfect. You'll walk along a nicely paved road about 1/2 mile, through a golf course security checkin-in, then there is a well-marked trail head sign on the left -- get after it!! As you'll see in other reviews, wear appropriate footwear. Hiking shoes or boots are almost a must, but no sandals/flip-flops. Bring at least a liter of water per person, and be prepared to 1) sweat your butt off and 2) see some of the most beautiful vistas you've seen in you life. The wind blowing up and over the ridge is amazing. Bring a camera! At points, the ridge you're hiking is only about 2-3 feet wide, which is a truly exhilarating experience. BE SAFE, but have fun!

Silver Spring, Maryland
10 attraction reviews
“Majestic Views of Kailua beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Be prepared for a bit of a climb! This trail has three peaks; my brother and I did the first one because it alone was enough of a challenge. The trail is sometimes narrow and there are 4 or so sections where you really need the rope that's affixed to the path. That being said, it was a GREAT workout, with beautiful views and enough other hikers on the trail that you didn't feel eerily alone.