“Anna took great care of two rookies!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 8 Shopping in Kailua
Type: Specialty Shops, Shopping
Saint Louis, Missouri
9 attraction reviews
“Anna took great care of two rookies!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

My daughter and I were in Hawaii for a one week vacation. One of her main goals for the trip was to snorkel with the turtles. It wasn't until we were in Kailua did I spy a small dive shop to stock up on some snorkeling gear and a waterproof pouch to keep our keys and phones in while we swam. (I already drowned on electric rental car key & did not want to do it again :)). Anna was the person who greeted us and immediately started to take care of us. She listened to what we wanted, and she showed us what she had. Of course, since we were not experienced snorkelers, I was going more by cost than name brand or top of the line with all the bells and whistles. That did not decrease the level of help Anna gave us, or the amount of patience she had while assisting us in making decisions. The gear we bought was not the cheapest but, the next level up. There was only one waterproof pouch. After we had made our decisions on the gear, Anna gave us a map & suggested some other areas, including Kailua, where we might try snorkeling. Then, I saw the "Trip Advisor" sign & mentioned that I was a very active Trip Advisor reviewer. She said that Aaron's gives a discount to all "Trip Advisor" reviewers, and low and behold, I had a discount without a coupon or anything! The only downside to this story is once we actually used the snorkeling equipment, my daughter's snorkel's wave protector at the the top of the snorkel would get stuck. Our purchase was toward the end of our trip and we were staying in Honolulu & were not planning to return to Kailua. No problem, I thought. I'll just call when we got home & and ask to exchange it by mail. However, just like this review, by the time I got around to it, it was a full month later until I read the receipt & it said, "14 day return policy". UGH! I didn't even try to call. I play by the rules. So, just a heads up, go try your gear, and give yourself ample time to go back if you have any trouble :)

Newport Beach, California
“Not great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This was an OK experience, but not up to the standards of other Oahu dive operations. I am a certIfied Divemaster and I visit Hawaii frequently. The leader, Jeff, was highly skilled but not familiar with local waters. He was very helpful and friendly, but we went on a "drift dive" in an area not suited for it and ended up swimming against the strong current. One of our group was at 700 PSI in 11 minutes, so that was the end of that dive. The second dive was a big improvement. The boat is small and flat-bottomed. Not real seaworthy-looking. I later found out it has capsized 3 times. The shop owner is not very personable, and if he knows you are not local, does not try very hard. I will use other operations in the future.

Visited June 2013
“Aaron's Dive Shop & Crew are the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I had a wonderful and educational experience in achieving our dive certification. The team here is so friendly and welcoming and took us to some great dive spots. On our open water dive section of certification we saw sea turtles, so many beautiful fish and even an eel. When learning and somewhat uncomfortable with gear the team was very helpful and attentive. We bought some of our essential gear such as a good mask, snorkel and fins and are very happy with them. Additionally we received great tips and explanations from the team upon purchasing our gear. Cost is reasonable and the experience provided by this team is totally worth it! Id highly recommend Aaron's Dive Shop!

“Awesome Diving”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

I've been diving with Aaron's since 2007. I have not only completed classes with them, but I regularly go fun diving. The staff is always friendly and the boat crew is helpful and knowledgable. My favorite dive has to be the Cors Air. Even though it's a "small" site, every time I go there I see something new. It seems that amazing marine life is attracted to that spot. Whether it be frog fish, rays, star fish, wire coral, or sharks, each time there's a surprise. After the Cors Air we go to on a shallower dive. At each shallow spot I've had turtles come right up to me and it seems that there are eels around every rock. This is some of the best diving on Oahu and I hope to continue diving with Aaron's for as long as I live on island.

Visited May 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
7 attraction reviews
“Better choices, look elsewhere !!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

We chose Aaron's Dive Shop on Oahu for our honeymoon dive adventure. This was the second island dive for us in as many weeks. With a carefully planned itinerary, Aaron's called us to reschedule the dive the night before because of other divers cancelling. We wanted to dive so we changed OUR schedule for them. Big mistake !! Young girl picks us up from the hotel and explains she was a dive instructor for our dive. When asked if she was a "dive master" she changed the subject. We pick up two other divers and are then informed the dive is changed from a deep-shallow to a "double deep dive" because of weather. When questioned about the depth, she says, "Well you guys have dive computers right ?" We ride up the north shore of Oahu to a bad part of town and a pier that has seen better days! The dive boat was a 26 foot open boat, no bathroom with no apparent emergency supplies. As we're getting out of the van our "guide" then informs us we are responsible for our own equipment and setting up the gear, tanks, etc. My wife and I called "time out", informed our "guide" we were not comfortable and were not going out on the dive. She called us a taxi to take us the 45 minutes back to our hotel, got on the boat and left !!! Do not use Aaron's !!! Slick website - bad adventure !!

Visited May 2013