“North shore for peace and relaxation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kahuku
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Auckland, New Zealand
“North shore for peace and relaxation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We had a lovely stay at turtle bay and didn't want to leave! The family suite was fantastic, although it was only my fiancé and I..it just gave us a bit more room! We were on the 5th floor of the East wing and had a really good view! Snorkelling was good and the grounds were beautiful! Just a few things to be aware of: they charge for bottled water...but there is no sign to tell you this, don't valet park on the first day unless you want to be charged for every night you are there, don't try to check out in a hurry ie to get to airport, as the concierge will try to go slow on purpose ..not really sure why they would do this...but it brings my 5 star rating down to a 4!!! Expect that all the staff will expect tips for everything (we come from a non tipping country and haven't experieinced this in other parts of hawaii), get a car! The North shore is beautiful, but the resort is isolated with expensive prices for food! Go to lei leis if you just feel like a chicken salad as they are better priced and you get more and nicer food (unfortunately we only discovered this on our last night after spending $60 on 2 chicken salads with barely any chicken from room service!). Room service build. A tip into the price, but the servers still expect a tip on top of a tip. Get breakfast included, it's really nice and they make any omelette you want on the spot! All in all a lovely holiday, we wish we could go back knowing what we know now!

Room Tip: Ask for 5th or 6th floor or get a cottage...they looked lovely (forgetting Sarah Marshall ones)
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This hotel is such a great overall experience, I can't recommend it highly enough.

My husband and I have been visiting Kauai for the last few years, but we chose Oahu this year because I found a great deal on airfare and hotel in Waikiki for a 6-day getaway for my birthday. We ended up at Turtle Bay for our last few nights on the island, after driving up for a day and deciding that's where we needed to be!

I had visited the Turtle Bay Resort before, in early August 2007. I was staying down the road, near Shark's Cove, and used to go to the hotel in the late afternoon for a Mai Tai and sunset. My Dad had recently passed away, and I wanted a week away in Hawaii to unwind before heading back to work. I remember the staff at the Turtle Bay bar being so kind and friendly (not that I ever mentioned I was grieving). I would come up and have a drink and some snacks and watch the surfers and it was perfect.

So, with these good memories in mind, when we came back this year, I wanted to take my husband to the resort (we hadn't met yet in 2007). We drove up early to enjoy a peaceful place to swim. We rented a cabana and ended up staying all day. By the end of that evening, we had booked an Ocean View room for our last few nights on Oahu (March 25-27).

I never thought I'd say that anything compares to Kaui's North Shore, but the St. Regis is the only comparable resort there and it's about 3X the cost of Turtle Bay... and with nowhere near the friendly, good-spirited staff and vibe. In addition to great service throughout our stay at TB, we had a fantastic room and view; the cabanas were a great deal for relaxing all day; the pools were terrific and just the right temperature... and I'm saying all this even though it was Spring Break and there were TONS of kids at the resort and we are not parents.

I have travelled all over the world, and I don't know where else you can get this experience right on the ocean with the room we had for what we paid.

Looking forward to visiting again!!!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Gilbert, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Turtle Bay is an amazing resort that offers the best of Hawaii. My husband and I stayed in the oceanfront cottages which were expensive but well worth the price. The room was huge and beds so comfy. The bathroom was totally upgraded and beautiful. We felt like we had a secluded beachfront condo all to ourselves. The grounds are peaceful and the views spectacular. The hotel is a short walk away so it was nice to be able to feel like we were on private grounds or enjoy the hotel atmosphere when we wanted. Parking right in front the of the cottage was easy and convenient. Staff were very friendly. The cove by the hotel was perfect for snorkeling and not at all overcrowded. The location of the hotel is perfect, you really get that island vibe from the north shore area with a lot of good food options just a short drive away. Overall it was truly and experience to remember!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

So I came here with my uncle, Grama and new aunt in law for their wedding. This is an absolutely gorgeous resort and we stayed right in the hotel. The water is amazing, a relaxing atmosphere and great drinks. My biggest criticism would be the night life. Since this is paradise it is very far away from normal night life for any 20 something. So because of that after a day of swimming, exploring and everything else I still wanted to go out and dance. But unfortunately that's not possible here, unless you drive an hour or so to the south of the island. The only people here that were my age and weren't getting married or coupled up was the chill surf instructors, which I went out and tried to surf a couple of waves with. But all in all an amazing experience.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Turtle Bay Resort was absolutely wonderful overall. TB's location is perfect, the staff are very friendly, the breakfasts were unbelievable with an abundance of food, and TB is close to everything of interest. We especially loved the snorkeling opportunities at Kuilima Bay and TB is just minutes from Sharks Cove, which is also a great snorkeling site. As a runner, I enjoyed jogging by their famous Baynam tree where several movies have been filmed and swimming in Kawela Bay. We couldn't have asked for a better vacation or a better venue. Thanks, TB!

Room Tip: Several ocean view rooms are available
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
TurtleBayResort808, General Manager at Turtle Bay Resort, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Aloha,

Thank you for the wonderful review on Trip Advisor! I am thrilled you enjoyed our trails, which is my favorite thing about Turtle Bay. It is also great to know you found our staff and food to be unbelievable. Thank you for the great review and we hope to have the honor of welcoming you back someday.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

To clarify, I actually put my head on the pillow in a condo (116W is a great unit) which opened to the golf course. The hotel is prominent on the waterfront and the condos are around the golf courses. I did not stay in a room at the hotel. But guests at the condo are able to access hotel amenities (except the pool). The grounds are beautiful and it was an easy and pleasant walk to the hotel. I enjoyed a breakfast off of the menu - my favorite is eggs with corned beef hash - and the hash was delicious. My friends enjoyed their hearty buffet. Other days, I purchased coffee and fresh pastries in the lobby cafe. One evening I treated myself to a martini and listened to the live music outside with the surf in the back ground. Another morning I enjoyed a yogurt parfait and watched the surfers in the bay. The hotel villas are close to the beach on the east side of the property. The bay is on the west side. There are many activities to enjoy from tennis, horseback riding, running trails, biking, surfing and other water sports. All of the hotel staff I encountered wore bright smiles and were most helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side will have the best view of the sunrise
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Aloha,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. Although you did not stay in our hotel, it is nice to know you enjoyed our outlets. Just to clarify, non-hotel guests do not have access to our pool, hot tubs, fitness center and amenities (free snorkeling gear, free ukulele lessons, tennis court use, free GoPro rental, beat box use, housekeeping, etc.) We would love to have you stay with us at the hotel on your next visit and appreciate your review.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Booked a second floor ocean front/view villa with Turtle Bay through a vrbo for myself and my husband. Perfect for its location next to pool, short stroll to cove for beach and snorkeling, nice wide veranda for evening dinners (villas have a kitchen.) Also next to Ola's, an open air restaurant right on the beach. Didn't really use much of resort amenities other than the villa's pool so can't comment on that but took daily walks along miles of ocean trails. Overall a great trip. One caveat--the villas are obviously popular with families and you have to take your chances with having good neighbors and quiet children. We were lucky.

Room Tip: For villas, choose second floor for more privacy and best view. First floor good for seniors and sma...
Green Features: Could emphasize recycling more--saw lots of bottle and cans in communal trash location.
Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
TurtleBayResort808, General Manager at Turtle Bay Resort, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Aloha,

It is nice to know you had a wonderful vacation in the Ocean Villas. We hope you can visit us again soon.

Vice President & General Manager

Been to Turtle Bay Resort? Share your experiences!