“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Gilsum, New Hampshire
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

My husband & I celebrated our 10 year anniversary in Oahu HI August 2014. We stayed the full week at Turtle Bay Resort. Beautiful grounds, rooms were spacious with great views and the staff is exceptional! Vic made us feel like family. :) Aimee, & Spencer at the "Adventure Desk" both were a great help at suggesting things around the resort to do. We definitely want to return to Oahu and will be staying here when we do.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
TurtleBayResort808, General Manager at Turtle Bay Resort, responded to this review, September 8, 2014
Aloha,

Happy Anniversary and thank you so much for celebrating with us at Turtle Bay! It brings a smile to our faces to read how our employees made you feel like family. We will be sure to pass on your kind review to Vic, Aimee and Spencer. We’re sure they will be delighted to know their aloha made your anniversary extra special. We hope to have the honor of serving you again on the Fabled North Shore someday.

Jeff Perkins, Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (540)
  • Korean first
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

Stayed at the famous Turtle Bay Resort at the end of July. We had great weather for the one week we were there. We figure we stay at North Shore during this trip since we have been to Aulani and Hilton Hawaiian Village in the past. The resort was nice- it had a lot to offer. The room was nice and updated- only complain was our fridge smelled like fish- I figure the prior guest went fishing and put their bait there. I complained about and they cleaned the fridge but that did not help. They finally replace the fridge for us. I want to thank the young lady who checked us in and got the fridge change cause her male counterpart didnt get the job done. Our maid- JULIE- was awesome- had our room clean and ready to use everyday. The concierge employees were knowledgeable and gave us tips- also coupon to Waimea falls.

We tried the food in the resort- like most resorts- the food is a hit or miss. Pa' akai was definitely a miss- food was alright and overprice. The waiter suggested the POKE- BIG mistake- very salty- its no ALAN WONG'S but the pricing is. You are better off eating at OPAL'S THAI in Halewa or the small restaurants or food truck outside the hotel.

The pool is heated and my son enjoyed it. The beach is clean but since you are in Hawaii- its open to the public- even the pool what it looks like. We took advantage of the hikes on both side of the hotel. We did a horseback riding tour. The employees there were great. My son enjoyed his first horseback riding.

The hotel is far from honolulu, which was nice to be able to venture around north shore and take advantage what the area has to offer. Enjoy the food trucks and local restaurants- Especially Teds and Opals Thai.

THE SUNSETS were amazing when the clouds cooperate.

Room Tip: I would say all room has an oceanview.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Aloha,

The sunsets on the North Shore are truly breathtaking! It’s nice to know you enjoyed the views at our resort as well as hiking our trails and horseback riding. We would love to welcome you back to Turtle Bay someday and hope to have the honor of seeing you again soon.

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

We spent a week at Turtle Bay. My favorite day was spent learning to surf through the company at the resort. Such an amazing group of instructors & a day I will never forget. I really enjoyed getting to snorkel at our own private beach at the resort. We stayed in our own private villa, the sunsets were amazing & the accommodations were top notch!

• Stayed February 2014
Aloha,

Thank you for spending a week with us at Turtle Bay. Nothing beats your first time surfing! We’re sure you made wonderful memories riding your first wave and watching the sunset on the Fabled North Shore. We would love to welcome you back to our resort someday.

Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

What a fantastic, relaxing resort on the North Shore. We have never wanted to spend so much time in our hotel room as we did at Turtle Bay. The view from our room on the sixth floor was amazing. It's a large resort and quite busy but it never felt overwhelming. A very casual, relaxed atmosphere with great facilities. Would highly recommend for an amazing, relaxing holiday experience. Cannot wait to go back there.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Aloha,

Mahalo for staying at Turtle Bay and sharing your amazing experience on Trip Advisor. We’re delighted the view from your room took your breath and we’re glad you also enjoyed our resort. We look forward to your return!

Hope Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

Beautiful room and view although we were offered an upgrade at check in (at a price) when we thought we had paid for a top grade room?? The entire resort was everything we wanted and more. We slept with the sound of the ocean lapping at our balcony. Refurbished rooms were beautiful, great size and the bathroom was large and fantastic. All staff were very friendly and helpful The grounds are wonderful and if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city this place is just perfect. The food was very good and not too expensive. When we go back to Oahu this is the place we will be staying.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
TurtleBayResort808, General Manager at Turtle Bay Resort, responded to this review, September 3, 2014
Aloha,

Mahalo for sharing Turtle Bay is how Oahu should be. We’re delighted you enjoyed our beautiful location, friendly staff and delicious restaurants. We look forward to serving you again on the Fabled North shore and appreciate the perfect rating on Trip Advisor.

Danna Holck, V.P. Turtle Bay & Jeff Perkins, Resort Manager
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

My sister and I visited Turtle Bay Resort for a week in April 2014. Even with a Jetsetter.com deal-- we felt the value was a little overpriced. We reserved the lowest cost hotel room in the resort and the 450 square foot room felt huge. No balcony but sliding glass doors opened for a breezy and we had an ocean view. For frame of reference, we are both in our late 20s.

We stayed for 6 or 7 nights and that was too long. 4 nights is plenty here! There is only so much you can do.

On your drive north from the Honolulu airport to the resort, stop at Foodland on the highway, close to the resort for snacks/drinks for your room. I also recommend stopping at or going off property to:

Ted's Bakery mon&tues 7am-6pm,7am-8pm: coffee, tons of pastries, cake

Honeymooners? STOP RIGHT HERE. This place is NOT romantic and not for you. Its best for families and groups.

This resort does a good job of appealing to all ages, wheelchair/stroller friendly.

Wake up w sun, EARLY! --In April we had the best weather and less wind. Wind (and rain) was an issue every day on our trip. It rained a little every day some days just putting a hold on being outside for as little as 30 mins, and one day it rained the entire afternoon.

WIND: While the beach cove area is protected from the wind by the resort and its location, the pool is not. It was EXTREMELY windy at the pool which made it chilly, and difficult to hang on to food and drinks at your pool chair or at the beach bar.

Bring a water bottle or keep a disposable one because the vending rooms only have ice and sodas-- no water!

Speaking of water...the lobby sets out pretty water dispensers infused with fruit every afternoon. It would be great if they had these out all day!

On property:
Free 2 hr per day snorkel equip rental (don't expect to see much in the water, we snorkeled in 2 places and found the water is cloudy and difficult to see)
Beach towels, chairs, umbrellas are also free for hotel guests

Rental/pay for lessons:
Surfing- My sister loved her private surf lessons with Marshall! Amazing waves, and the surf instructors worked so hard to help their clients catch great waves. I loved watching her surf from the watching spot, located at the edge of the pool bar.

Mopeds
bicycles-Don't rent gold bikes--they don't do well on the road-- try the cruisers or the bikes with chubby tires. DEFINITELY rent bicycles or mopeds and go down the street to Kahuku Farms for lunches and a farm tour! The food is delicious, the tour is pretty and informative. The tour on the tractor trailer felt like a "Trip through Jurassic Park, minus the dinosaurs" according to my sister.

kayak
stand up paddle board. Neither of these seemed worth the rental cost and the only place to do this is on property.

Don't miss these things on property (self guided, no need to pay for a "tour")- Take long walks on the trails around the resort, visit the Banyan tree on one of the trails.

Fitness classes: Boot Camp class on the beach with Jay was SO good! Bree for yoga so relaxing :)

Spa: The spa did let me know when I called to make a reservation that the roof was under construction and there would be some noise. I booked 2 massages for inside rooms for massage for myself and my sister. When we showed up to our massage the spa had messed up our reservation and had us in a double massage room, outside, where normally you could hear the relaxing sound of the ocean but instead heard LOUD construction noises. When I told my massage therapist about the 2 errors (single rooms, not double, inside, not outside) she insisted it was noisier inside (which I can confirm was NOT) and that this is the way I had made the reservation. My sister and I got our massages in the double outside space, and i had tissues in my ears to block out (some) of the noise. Go to the spa at your own risk. When you check in make sure they have your reservation correct. Use the Sauna in the ladies spa locker room when you're there for your service(s), because it is free. Otherwise, they would like to charge you $15 for use.

You can eat breakfast in one of the restaurants if you really want...but continental breakfast or buffet is WAY too much food. You can order a la carte from menu, but for the best value, eat breakfast in the lobby coffee/cafe area. In addition to breakfast items they have pre made salads and sandwiches that were pretty good! Portions of those are huge as well (split them with a traveling companion)- wish they offered pre made half portions. Beer and wine service starts around 5pm

Beach is open to the PUBLIC. Yes, so people not staying at the resort will be on the TBR beach area as well. There is no drink service or food service at the beach. You must hike up to lobby bar/cafe to bring back what you'd like.

Dining on property:
If you're starving, get the continental breakfast at Kula. It will still be plenty of food. They make delicious banana bread and bread pudding dishes.
SKIP Ola on the beach. Was not impressed with dinner at all.
SKIP room service-- too pricey!
Lei Lei's at the golf course serves American comfort food. Pretty straightforward.
Pa'akai has great oysters.
Hang Ten (the beach pool bar) has great Thai Mahi tacos, superfood salad, and Mediterranean plate are all good.
Surfer the Bar (slash restaurant) is the BEST place to eat for you $ 6-7pm is happy hour prices on food and drinks. We loved the kale and beet pizza

Things to definitely explore off-property:
Waimea valley nature park hike and waterfall

Town of Hale'iwa- shopping, dining.

Waialua sugar mill -- historic site, coffee, chocolate

I gave this resort an 'Average' rating because there are lots of places with room for easy improvement. There are so many resorts on different Hawaiian islands-- This was nice, but I'll definitely be going somewhere else in the islands (HINT: Kauai or Maui were highly recommended to us by other more experienced Hawaiian travelers).

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Aloha,

Thank you for staying at Turtle Bay and sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your detailed review about your April stay with your sister and we hope you made wonderful memories exploring our trails, watching your sister learn how to surf and experiencing the North Shore. We’re happy to share Nalu Kinetic Spa is no longer under renovation. We apologize for any miscommunication on our end with your spa service and we have shared your review with the Director of Wellness so we can enhance our service. We will be sure to pass on your aloha to Marshall, Bree and Jay. They will be glad to learn their friendliness had such a positive impact on your stay. Although you plan on exploring other islands on your next venture to the Aloha state, please know we would love to serve you again on the Fabled North Shore.

Danna Holck, V.P. Turtle Bay & Jeff Perkins, Resort Manager
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

We stayed at turtle bay resort for the second part of our honeymoon previously staying at the modern hotel in honalulu right before .
Our room was on the 6th floor it was nice and a very beautiful view , great bathroom which was modern and spacious with a tub and shower.
The service was good, staff were friendly mostly everywhere on the resort . Except for a few grumpy hostesses.
What we didn't like as much was the fact that it seemed so expensive for everything there . We even had to pay for our water in our room, Not a lot but why can't it just be included in the resort fee ? Other hotels I have stayed at provide this for free .
The restaurants were somewhat overpriced , some were cheaper then others . The pork sandwich I had at the restaurant on the beach was amazing .
You have to drive elsewhere though if you want to eat food for more reasonable prices, like the shrimp trucks or into town.
The massage I had was really not that great it wasn't relaxing and it kind of hurt . She was very nice though.
One night we wanted to get into surfer bar and we had to pay a cover charge . I mean if I'm already paying to stay here and paying a resort fee you still want me go pay again to grab drinks in your bar? This didn't happen every night just on certain nights but still annoying.
At the modern hotel it was unlimited free water, free passes to their night club etc and the service there was so amazing .
I know I shouldn't compare because they are two very different places but I just felt like one of many guests at turtle bay, where as other places make you feel like you are more valued as a guest .
The beach was busy and you had to pay for some umbrella thing , we just walked further along the beach to a more private area where we saw a seal .
Overall it was a pleasant stay but not what I expected, there is also a lot of kids so being there on a honeymoon wasn't what I expected .

• Stayed August 2014
TurtleBayResort808, General Manager at Turtle Bay Resort, responded to this review, September 11, 2014
Aloha,

Congratulations on your wedding and thanks for staying with us at Turtle Bay on your recent trip to Oahu. We appreciate you sharing the aspects of our destination you enjoyed, as well as ways we can improve. We will be sure to look into your suggestions. The umbrellas on our beach are actually free for all of our registered guests and are available on a first-come first-serve basis. We would be happy to welcome you back to Turtle Bay someday.

With warm aloha,
Jeff Perkins, Resort Manager

Been to Turtle Bay Resort? Share your experiences!