“Always fantastic” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Nelson Bay, Australia
“Always fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

First ate there in 1990 and each time we visit the North Shore we go back and we are never disappointed. Staying at Turtle Bay it's a quick drive to Haleiwa and a must to eat there. The hamburgers are delicious, the meat pattie always juicy and medium rare and everything that goes with it, avocado, cheese, pineapple and the fries, great. Particuclarly love the chillies and the pickle. Hope we can return again another time so we can try the sandwiches.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
“Try the ahi tuna”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Try the ahi tuna sandwich, you will not be disappointed. The burgers are good, b don't go ordinary, get pineapple or avocado.

Hartsdale, New York
“Very Good..But Not Like The Hype”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

My family and I ate here primarily because of a review we read in Travel & Leisure. While we ate the hamburgers, and the fish sandwich which was recommended in the article, it just didn't live up to the hype that was said about it. Don't get me wrong, it was good, but the article made it sound like it was the best thing since sliced bread, which it wasn't. But if your in the neighborhood, you might want to check it out.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York
“Good Tasting Burger”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Had a hankering for a burger on the North Shore and stopped here. A small place with perfectly done burgers at a reasonable price. I am sure there are probably better burgers somewhere, but the 1/3 pounder was very satisfying and tasty. All burgers made to order, but made quickly. I would definitely come here again.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Honolulu, Hawaii
“One of the Best Burgers in Hawaii”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Kua 'Aina Sandwich, which is sort of a misleading name. Yes, they do have (good) sandwiches, but what they are really known for are their burgers! Kua 'Aina is probably the original grilled burger joint in Hawaii, though Teddy's has grown much quicker and available in more places, including on the mainland than Kua 'Aina. But, they do have locations in Tokyo and London, in addition to those on Oahu. Anyhow, the location my wife and I visited last was the original Haleiwa location. Located in the town of Haleiwa, on Oahu's North Shore, this location has some parking in front on a tiny gravel lot, as well as parking in a lot out back, though the driveway is small and hard to see! I actually missed it and had to circle back around!

Once you find the parking lot and park, you can walk to Kua 'Aina via a small walkway on the left side of the parking lot and enter through a door on the side. This vibe here is casual with a vintage feel. To order, one needs to order at the counter off the big board. For burgers, you choose your size, your toppings (cheese, avocado, etc. for a charge), grilled onions (yes or no, free of charge), and your doneness (comes medium if you don't state a preference). Sandwiches are a little more simple, though you do get a choice of bread and other extra charge topping choices like avocado, etc. All burgers and sandwiches come with a carrot stick.

Kua 'Aina's burgers are flame grilled and seasoned perfectly. Most of the time (sometimes quality can be off), the burgers have a good grilled beef flavor and are all served with mayo, tomato, and lettuce. No sauces here like Teddy's that mask the flavor of the beef. Just a good, pure burger flavor! I love the simple cheeseburger here, while my mother likes to get a burger with avocado. My wife, on the other hand, almost always orders the BLT with avocado.

Fries here are different from most other places. Shoestring fries, to me are great, though I normally dump salt on them as soon as I get them. They do not salt the fries for you. Other available "sides" are things like pickle spears and pepperoncini. Drink options here are your standard soft drinks or lemonade. We always pony up a little extra and get the lemonade. It taste fresh and homemade, though that means the quality can be a little inconsistent.

One thing to note is Kua 'Aina is cash only. No credit or debit cards are accepted. Last time I went, the Ward location did accept credit cards, but their quality isn't as good and the people aren't as friendly. No matter which location you go to, they will be very, VERY busy. My recommendation is to go during off peak times if you can. We went at around 2:30 on our last visit and it was quite busy, but we didn't have to wait too long for our food and easily found seats.

• Visited May 2013