“Best dog ever” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 64 Restaurants in Haleiwa
New Bern, North Carolina
“Best dog ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

"Best hot dog ever" these words came out of my 18 year old teenagers mouth. Although I'm more of a mustard, ketchup, chili, slaw, and onions kind of guy, I did thoroughly enjoy my sausage dog with chili sauce, and pineapple relish. Good price too.

Visited June 2014
Dominique Q, Owner at HULA DOG Hale'iwa, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Aloha R_Seagle

Thank you so much for your comment and also to try something completely different as what you are use to.

Mahalo !

Oahu, Hawaii
“Awesome Hot Dog”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

First off: You have to get the hot dog in the Taro Bacon Bun. It makes all the difference. They serve all natural polish sausage or veggie dog in your choice of bun - I say in because the bun completely surrounds the dog - with choice of traditional or tropical toppings (fillings in this case). Go for the tropical, you can have yellow mustard at home. I had mine with the mild garlic sauce, pineapple relish and lilikoi mustard. The bun has just a hint of sweetness and the crunch of the tiny bacon pieces scattered throughout the bun is wonderful. Covered outdoor seating is right there. Fresh squeezed lemonade as well. The owner (from Geneva, Switzerland of all places) came up and spoke with us and seemed genuinely interested to know what we thought. Fill up here and forget about the famous Matsumoto's Shave Ice down the road which is a tourist trap of the highest order.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dominique Q, Owner at HULA DOG Hale'iwa, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Aloha Erik,
Thanks so very much for your comment. It's always a pleasure to serve all my clients and when I have the time to chat with you its even better.

Aloha Dominique
Alexandria, Virginia
“Never thought I'd like a hot dog this much!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I'm pregnant and having the strangest pregnancy cravings, and while i never eat hot dogs, the Hula Dog truck was speaking to me while we were in Hale'iwa. It was so amazing. The bun wraps all the way around the hot dog, and the relishes and sauces that are available are so fresh and tasty. Would love to have something like this in DC!

Visited May 2014
Aloha Jessica,

I hope you had a good trip back home in Virginia. Thank you to take the time to send us your comment. I wish you a beautiful and healthy baby.
Maybe DC will be our next Hula Dog Franchise.

Aloha !!!
Port Angeles, Washington
“Wonderful Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

We read the previous reviews and are always wanting to try something new. We stopped before they closed and we had the fortune to meet the owner. She introduced herself and sat with us and gave us more than just a hula dog, conversation.

The hula dog was wonderful and the lemonade is fresh. Get the exotic relishes and Hawaiian mustards. They (along with the fresh bread) are what make it a hula dog.

The owner told us the story of the puka dog (she started selling hot dogs in front of her art gallery because she needed a hook to get people in) which she now gave up in a divorce (she didn't want to fight).

Now she started from scratch with hula dog. She is one tough swiss (yep originally from Switzerland). She has all the original recipes that puka dog will loose in a couple years so beware of imitations. The hula dog is the real deal not puka.

She's not there all the time but when she is the stories are amazing and the food too.

Hello flyfisheroo7,

Thank you for your comment guys. Just keep in mind that Puka Dog is my first baby and I will never do anything to hurt it.
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Been to all on the island...love them equally!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Same review as I posted for the now closed International Marketplace location, and as I would for the downtown location etc):
As a picky vegetarian, I can say that this place is honestly fabulous and one of my fave little spots to nosh! I have brought more than 20 people visiting our island and another 15 on the island into the loop and I will continue to do so. The original, "Puka Dog" is on Kauai, but the husband and wife that started the business split up, and the wife started Hula Dog all over Oahu and she is expanding to the mainland as well. This is for those that will be adventurous and put a tropical twist on a classic American fare. I always get the veggie, mild, mango, lilikoi on the pumpkin wheat (if you go, you know) and then a fresh squeezed strawberry lemonade (with no extra sugar since the strawberry purée is enough for me) and a bag of the Maui onion chips to share with the hubby...and even though he is a total meat eater and likes the Polish dog, he often gets the veggie now...but on the bacon taro bread, hot-hot (or whatever the spiciest is) with pineapple and then lilikoi. I have turned north Idaho hunting boys into believers...so I would say most can handle the adventure!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Alooha ZeeGee808

Always appreciate comment coming from Hawaii. We like to represent Hawaii with this new Hawaiian Style Hot Dogs and need your support.

Dominique