“Thrilling experience in rough seas” 4 of 5 stars

and up
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Swallow your fears and come face to face with one of Hawaii's most majestic and misunderstood creatures of the deep...Sharks! View sharks in their natural habitat in a specially designed cage that not only protects but has plexiglass windows so you can still get that one on one feeling. 5 Years old and over welcome. Mask and snorkel provided, and we have a hot water shower. GoPros on a Go Pole are available for rent to capture your once in a lifetime experience in High Definition.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Trondheim, Norway
“Thrilling experience in rough seas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

We originally booked the 08:30 tour for Sunday, but received an email Friday saying that because of poor weather the tour had to be moved to another day. This was fine with us since we would be spending several days on Oahu anyway. Thursday we headed up north for the 08:30 tour. I would recommend renting a car if you're staying in Honolulu. Shark Encounters does not provide a shuttle and the bus ride is about 2,5 hours long. We were met by the captain and another crew member at the harbor, where we had to sign a waiver claiming we knew the risk and all that stuff. The waiver actually also prohibits you from posting pictures from the trip on social media. A bit strange. The boat was a smaller than we expected but the trip out to the cage went well despite the rough seas. The crew were informative and clear in their instructions and also lectured us on sharks and general sea life in the area. The cage experience it self was really cool. Its totally safe as long as you keep your limbs inside the cage, and we got to see 5-6 Galapagos sharks up close. Quite thrilling. I would recommend the tour to anyone, but remember to get some pills for sea sickness.

Visited April 2014

Arlington, Virginia
“Criminally bad customer service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

I am a shark bite survivor on the Big Island of Hawaii. I recently was told I was being moved to Washington DC for work, so for a bit of closure my last Hawaii experience was going to be a shark cage dive for some closure. I booked a flight and hotel to Oahu on my last available weekend and booked the shark encounter months is advance, only for the company to tell me 1 day before the tour that they were performing boat maintenance, and would have to reschedule.

The kicker is, other companies that do the shark encounter require you to book at least 2 days in advance, so you can bet Hawaii Shark Encounters made damn sure that it was them or nothing, which for me, will be nothing. I would never use, and would encourage everyone else to never use this unethical, malacious, deplorable company who cares so little about the customer.

Visited April 2014
Lethbridge, Canada
13 attraction reviews
“BEST BIRTHDAY EVER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Being a scuba diver you always want to see a shark. But more than twenty was awesome. The birthday gift I`ll always remember. Went on the first excursion of the day, waters were as calm as you could get. The Captain and crew were very informative and professional, I was in the cage for about forty five minutes. Couldn`t get the wife to go in but she was busy getting great whale pics as they swam around the boat. I would recommend this adventure to anyone who wants a great thrill and a great time. Thanks Hawaii Shark Encounters .

Visited February 2014
Toronto, Canada
7 attraction reviews
“A true rush of adrenaline!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

I love love LOVED my adventure with the guys at Hawaii Shark Encounters! The excursion was absolutely perfect from start to finish! I was one of the first ones in the water and when I was drying in the sun, the crew taught us about sharks and marine life. They were very knowledgeable and respectful towards the ocean and really have a passion for passing that in to their guests. This was a true bucket list event- don't miss out!

Visited March 2014
Rapid City, South Dakota
“Great Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

We enjoyed the Shark Encounter tremendously! The directions were good, the trip out was fun and the staff were very polite and friendly. We saw some whales on the way out. Then we got to the sharks! What a great time!

Visited February 2014