“Best surf school on Oahu, Hawai'i (North Shore)” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 47 Activities in Haleiwa
Type: Surf Camps, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: At Island Style Surf School you will have a unique and relaxed surf experience that you can't find anywhere else. With safety first and detailed instruction, we make sure that you have the time of your life on the famous waves of the North Shore Oahu, Hawaii! With instruction from professional surfer, Sergio Lima, and his crew of local certified instructors, you can feel secure that you and your family are in good hands. Come and see why at Island Style you will have a lesson like no other! Surf the north shores legendary waves in Haleiwa, Sunset Beach, Pupukea, and Wailua! Aloha!
“Best surf school on Oahu, Hawai'i (North Shore)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I had a great time with Sergio and Carly. Not only that Sergio taught me how to surf the big waves (+ step-by-step adjusting the beginner mistakes) and Carly making great videos and pictures, but also more importantly, they really cared about me having a good time beside my surf lessons, recommending me cool stuff to do in the North Shore and showing me interesting local stuff. I definitely can recommend these easy going and nice people to get some professional surf lessons when you are coming to Hawaii ... Have fun!!!

Visited July 2013

New York
“Really the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Sergio and his wife Carly are amazing and the sweetest people! My parents, sisters and I had visited Oahu and were looking to learn how to surf- we really couldn't have found a better surfing instructor than Sergio! He was incredibly competent, patient and motivating in teaching my sisters and myself the 101 on surfing. My dad was happy to brush up his skills with Sergio as well- all in all we all left the lessons super excited that we actually managed to ride some waves hahaha and can't wait to be back. Carly took some awesome photos and gave us plenty of advice on where eat like the locals. We will definitely recommend Sergio and Carly to everyone and hopefully we will return soon enough to enjoy their company again!

Visited June 2013
San Diego, California
“Great Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

In summary, Sergio is the best, a true professional level surfer and a man with exceptional character. During my honeymoon in Brazil, I had the pleasure of meeting Sergio and his wife. To say the least after a few days we became friends and he went out of his way to make sure we experienced everything the beautiful Island of Fernando de Noronha had to offer. Mind you without even a mention of payment, he took us on some of the most compelling hiking trips I have been on, snorkeling trips, and invited us over for some home cooked Island food. To say the least the highlight of our 17-day honeymoon through Brazil was our time spent with Sergio and his wife in Noronha.

Then once I heard he moved to Hawaii and started his surfing school we could not wait to visit. Considering that, I am a typical guy who believes he can do anything without being taught, I initially backed off when Sergio offered to show me a few pointers. I recalled that the last time, I went surfing in Hawaii was during a work trip and to say the least it was not an enjoyable moment. Getting pounded at the North Shore without any guidance (Bold but stupid). So this time, my 3-month pregnant wife and I went out to learn how it’s done from a pro. I was a worried at first but where we went had the perfect balance of safety and excitement. My wife and I caught more waves that day than we had throughout our lives and the pictures Carly took were fantastic. But don't take my word for it find out for yourselves. After you take a lesson from Sergio if it is not the best surfing experience of your life, ask him for John’s contact info in San Diego and I will gladly pay for your lessons. This review may sound like BS, but it's the truth, you'll see.

If you have time check out this video of Sergio ripping it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qWkkfTaXqf8

Visited January 2013
“The best.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I almost never write reviews and feel that I must so that others have an awesome experience like i had. After 6 days on the big island I only had three days left on Oahu to do something I had been wanting to do for some time, learn how to surf (if you travel all the way to Hawaii what better place to do it?!). I didn't know whether to learn on the north shore or spend the one day i had at Waikiki learning. My family rented a house in the north shore and on the refrigerator was a magnet for Sergio's island style surf school. I decided to give them a call on my second and last day on the north shore. I spoke with Carly who was incredibly nice. Even though they were planning and setting up a wedding for friends later that day, they were very flexible and fit me and my 2 hour session in. They were even flexible on time which was great as my family had wanted to visit la'ie point before hand.

Once we met up, Sergio spent some time on the beach teaching the steps to getting up on the board. He was very patient and made sure I was comfortable before getting in the water. We paddled out and even paddled over some sea turtles which was pretty cool. I was able to get up briefly on my very first try as Sergio makes sure you take some nice easy waves to get use to getting up on the board in the water. Sergio is very enthusiastic and positive which made the whole experience relaxed and easy. It is priced comparably to most other surf schools at 150 dollars for a 2 hour private lesson. Carly will serve as your personal paparazzi and take tons of photos. You can purchase a cd/DVD of the photos afterwards right at the beach.

If you want to learn how to surf, you will be hard pressed to find a better experience and I highly recommend learning with Sergio!

Visited May 2013
Nowra, Australia
“the best day ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We spent the day with Sergio & his lovely wife Carly, My 15 year old daughter had a private 2hr surf lession with Sergio she has had surf lessions in Australia & Bail but know one has ever made it as easy as Sergio did for her to stand, he is very calm and understanding.
they are both very lovely people and i highly recommend their surf school to anyone any age interested in learning to surf. thanks again hope to see you again next time we are in Hawaii

Visited May 2013